Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2008, 10:35 PM

6 posts, read 37,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonjtt View Post
My family and I have been thinking of relocating to Colorado for many years and although we like Denver we are intrested in Colorado Springs. The tourist pictures look great, it seems like a great place and of course the Realtor's will always say great things! I am a great believer in a collective opinion of things, so I want to throw the question out there what are the negatives?

I hate colorado springs. There are so many reasons. The people are rude and unhappy for no reason. I have lived all over the world, literally, and I have never been anywhere like this and I lived in Germany for three years. far as driving here, I have often fantasized about holding a radio station hostage as I yell over the airway and ask the locals, "why dont you like to allow people to change lanes?" Its like they think if you get ahead of them on the road, your getting ahead of them in life. Dont try to say hello to someone casually, like while shopping for example. Or maybe you should come here and visit and attempt to be nice to someone, then, document the reactions. The word excuse me is not in anyones vocab. unless of course someone from another state bumps into you or you them. I thought I was on candid camera once while walking through the mall. I was nearly trampled. In addition, the job market is non existant at best. There are a wide range of unappealing smells depending on where you are. The weather, , Sucks!!!!! Year round cold. I would advise you to consider Denver, even the people there dont like the people in Colorado Springs. I like to be able to go to the park sometimes, or plan outdoor events. I have generally had little success. I volunteer alot and I love to work with youth. Living here has changed my mind about both. Its not the children, its the parents but then again, that just goes with my agurement about the people in general. As far as the culture is concerned, WHAT CULTURE? If you are looking for a place to reflect America, you know, diversity, keep looking. Although the economy is primarly dependant on the military, the local treat them like dirt. Another fantasy of mine is for the Air Force academy to be moved somewhere else and for Fort Carson to close. Then, I would like to come and visit a year later, just to mengle with the locals. Like I said, I hate Colorado. The mountains are beautiful. The zoo is unique. I have sat here for the last ten minutes trying to think of something nice to say.... I cant think of anything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terytee View Post
No city is perfect. There are dingy, rundown, less attractive areas in EVERY city you'll ever visit. It's all what you are willing to accept and what you're not willing to accept. It's also where you've come from previously. It's perspective.

Coming from the DC area, I would never go back there. Yes, there are beautiful monuments, museums, landmarks and tons of things to do. It's more cosmopolitan and international, but the traffic gets people killed, the price of housing is unbelievable, and people are generally colder and less caring about each other. It's the classic rat race; the high stress, always on the go kind of life.

There are areas in DC that you definitely don't want to be in after dark.

As crappy as Academy Blvd can be, it's absolutely nothing compared to many cities through out the country. I can afford a 4 bdrm house here (mortgage) for the same cost as my 2bdrm apartment (rent) in DC. My daily commute is 15 mins, versus 1.5 - 3hrs in DC.

There are run-down areas here in the springs that make me shake my head, and there are businesses downtown that don't necessarily cater to kids.......kids aren't the center of everyone's world.......BTW, there's a state of art theater off Powers Blvd....but like I said, it's all perspective.
Where did you work communting for 1:30-3hrs. I lived in DC and its suburbs for a long time. We lived in Va and my husband worked in the city, it took him at most 45 minutes to get home. During rush hour!!!!!!!!! I live here now and depending on the time of day (like when people are supposed to be at work) I find myself in the middle of a constant traffic jam, that is if anyone would ever let me over. By the way, I cant wait to go back to DC. This place has nothing to offer whereas DC always has something fresh, new and exciting going on......for everyone!!!

Old 07-26-2008, 06:12 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
See ya!

Old 07-26-2008, 06:57 PM

86 posts, read 339,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS.DEE View Post
I hate colorado springs. There are so many reasons. The people are rude and unhappy for no reason.
WOW! My experience has been totally opposite. One of the first things I noticed is that people wave with all fingers here. I've had no problem with people being nice and showing courtesy. Not a single problem and that includes the younger generation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS.DEE View Post
The weather, , Sucks!!!!! Year round cold.

And I disagree with year round cold. It gets hot here.

Last edited by AUNTIEMinCOLORADO; 07-26-2008 at 07:15 PM.. Reason: testing the editing feature ;)

Old 07-26-2008, 10:40 PM

I am really, really trying to leave here. Rest assured!!!!

Old 07-26-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
See ya!

See what I mean?

Old 07-27-2008, 12:43 PM

2,957 posts, read 8,377,645 times
Well, nobody's forcing you to stay. If you aren't happy here, then go! I felt the same way about ****hole Ohio, SO I LEFT.

I'm in no way being rude, I just don't like to hear people complain about this town, but then do nothing about it.

There's alot of worse places to live, trust me.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:33 AM

19 posts, read 63,454 times
Default CO to VA???

From VA? Are you in Arlington? Because the last time I took the train to Penn Ave from VA it took 80 minutes (1 hr 20 minutes) each way. That is coming from central Fairfax County. Is your hubby leaving at 4am? I drive all over DC to client sites and take the Metro into DC...and it's NEVER an easy 45 minutes. Average day = 1 hr. Rain = 2 hours. Snow = forget it. Cloudy = 1 hr 30 minutes. Sunny = 1.5 hrs (oh the glare!!!). Accident = Turn around.

Please do us a favor and stay in Colorado. VA doesn't need any more cars and attitudes.

DC has a lot to offer...if you can ever find time to enjoy it.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:41 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,409,483 times
The only negative thing about CoS is that my family & I aren't living there yet!!! I'll take care of that in February. As for driving in DC - oh yeah, that is frustrating. I used to work at the State Dept (on Constitution) and it took me an hour and a half on a sunny day to get there during rush hour (and this is good time). I lived in Glen Burnie, MD at the time. I just starting taking the train to the Foggy Bottom station and it didn't cut down on the time - but it did on the frustration. Not for me.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:04 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
It must be admitted that there are negatives with any place on Earth. Job shortages is possibly one in COS in certain fields. I will be a retiree so that's not a factor for us. We love the area and have wanted to return ever since we lived there in the mid-eighties. I know, the place has changed (and so have we...) but the mountains are there and the people are friendly. What's not to like? Now if I can just find a dart team for geezers...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado > Colorado Springs