Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 05:42 AM

4 posts, read 25,545 times

Advertisements

I currently live in the UK but ive been looking for a nice big property in Colorado. I didn't like Colorado Springs because of the military base and hence all the army guys that mingle in with us and also because the local economy is reliant upon the military base. I want to be further away from any sort of government institution as i just dont feel easy living close to one.

So i saw pueblo on the maps. I was thinking to buy a few acres of land in West Pueblo and build myself a home where i can eventually retire. I have around $3000000 to play with so im hoping this is enough.

Its only me and my wife, we just want to chill out and have a better quality, slower pace of life which London will never give us.

Hows the education and local services in Pueblo in case we have children, never know what the wife wants . Also are the people friendly, we're British Indians atm but hoping to move on a Business Visa. I do want to eventually get citizenship but thats a long way away for the moment.

Old 12-19-2010, 09:00 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
With $3M you can get just about anything you want in COLO except for the truly upper brackets properties in the wealthy mountain ski towns.

Colorado is a big state with a land area of 103,718 square miles, compared to England's 50,346 square miles. There is so much to choose here that you should not limit yourself to one area at this time. We always suggest renting here for a year to learn what appeals to you. In approximate numbers the eastern 40% of the state is very dry, grassland prairie, the middle 30% is mountainous and the western 30% is rather desert-like.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:23 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Pueblo is a curious choice. There are thousands of other areas/towns in the USA that are far more appealing. Pueblo does not have the stunning scenery you might associate with Colorado. It is mostly flat and barren.

Sounds like you need to come visit first, and if associating with soldiers makes you feel "dirty" you'll definitely never assimilate as an American, especially in many communities like Colorado.

Old 12-19-2010, 11:49 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
In Pueblo you could build the kind of house you want for less then $500,000 then you could invest the rest. If you are looking for land I would suggest Pueblo West, Beulah, as there is a new development there with large lots or hatchet Ranch as they have 35 acer ranchets.

Here is a link to Hatchet Ranch's web page: Hatchet Ranch- colorado mountain land just south of Pueblo CO Mountain Land and real estate for Sale: Colorado City Pueblo CO Real Estate (http://www.colandman.com/hatchet/hatchet/hatchet.html - broken link)

Old 12-20-2010, 06:03 AM

1,331 posts, read 5,082,894 times
Isn't it great that you can buy land here in the USA, build a home and, retire/raise children,etc...and not even be a citizen?!! Darn those army/military people for fighting for the rights and freedoms to do as we chose!! And darn them for "mingling" with us too!

Old 12-20-2010, 09:35 AM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
I'm inclined to agree with Sheridan on this one. It's not like I expect everyone to roll out the red carpet for military families, but if you're going to be openly snobby toward the men and women (and their families) who continually preserve the greatest country in the history of mankind, just stay put in the UK. Or consider France, if you must relocate. You wouldn't be a good fit in Colorado. People here value the contributions of the U.S. Military.

Old 12-20-2010, 12:46 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
I do not agree with Sheridan. I respect and military and have much love for them but personally I would not want to live in a military city. I go to the Springs all the time but I do not like what the military has made that city into and am glad that Pueblo did not grow like that. So even though Pueblo is smaller then Colorado Springs I think our quality of life is better and I would recommend Pueblo over Colorado Springs any day.

Old 12-21-2010, 07:27 AM

4 posts, read 25,545 times
Well we didnt want to have too cold weather as thats what we're also trying to get away from. Hatchet ranches sounds good actually, i'll look into that. We do want to be away from the "rat race" but not too far that we're in the middle of no-where. How would VISAs work if i wanted to spend a year over in Colorado and invest into a few properties to get some rent in, would immigration be lenient?

SheridanL you've misunderstood. I find Colorado Spring's economy reliant upon the military families who, if one day the base was shut down and move, would also have to move and hence the local economy would struggle. I agree im openly snobby to a certain extent, but i do admire that they are sacrificing for their country. I wouldn't treat them any different, just as i wouldn't wont to be treated any different. Hope you understand.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:18 AM

26 posts, read 90,762 times
Of course you would choose Pueblo over the Springs Joseppie, look I don't have anything against Pueblo, my grandfather was born there, but the Springs is far superior to Pueblo and the military had a big role in making the Springs what it is, however there's a lot more going than just the military and frankly I think you're jealous, that's why you rant and rave about Pueblo and new tech parks and what will be in the future, what will make Pueblo better in the future will be becoming part of the Springs metro area otherwise Pueblo won't be anything more than a small ass backwards ex steel mill city.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:24 AM

26 posts, read 90,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownops View Post
Well we didnt want to have too cold weather as thats what we're also trying to get away from. Hatchet ranches sounds good actually, i'll look into that. We do want to be away from the "rat race" but not too far that we're in the middle of no-where. How would VISAs work if i wanted to spend a year over in Colorado and invest into a few properties to get some rent in, would immigration be lenient?

SheridanL you've misunderstood. I find Colorado Spring's economy reliant upon the military families who, if one day the base was shut down and move, would also have to move and hence the local economy would struggle. I agree im openly snobby to a certain extent, but i do admire that they are sacrificing for their country. I wouldn't treat them any different, just as i wouldn't wont to be treated any different. Hope you understand.

Colorado Springs was founded on July 31, 1871 by General William Palmer, with the intention of creating a high-quality resort community, and was soon nicknamed "Little London" because of the many English tourists who came. Nearby Pikes Peak and the Garden of the Gods made the city's location a natural choice.
Within two years his flagship resort the Antlers Hotel opened, welcoming U.S. and international travelers as well as health-savvy individuals seeking the high altitude and dry climate, and Palmer's visions of a thriving, quality resort town were coming true. Soon after, he founded the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad, a critical regional railroad. He maintained his presence in the city's early days by making many grants or sales of land to civic institutions. Palmer and his wife saw Colorado Springs develop into one of the most popular travel destinations in the late 19th century United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado