Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2018, 04:42 PM

1,054 posts, read 881,680 times

Advertisements

It's included when you look at the CSA and the vast majority of LeeCo pop is living much closer to Aub/Ope than to the Hooch.

Any market analysis knows where the people living in the easternmost part of the county are working/shopping and the fact is only 16% of all LeeCo residents work in Columbus. Target and every other company knows that for the most part LeeCo residents are happy to make the short trip west to do their shopping near their work, or rather on their way home from work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 04:44 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
It's included when you look at the CSA and the vast majority of LeeCo pop is living much closer to Aub/Ope than to the Hooch.

Any market analysis knows where the people living in the easternmost part of the county are working/shopping and the fact is only 16% of all LeeCo residents work in Columbus. Target and every other company knows that for the most part LeeCo residents are happy to make the short trip west to do their shopping near their work, or rather on their way home from work.
I guarantee you the vast majority of the nearly 30,000 residents who live in Smiths Station go east to Columbus. It’s much more convenient and faster.

Old 09-06-2018, 04:56 PM

1,054 posts, read 881,680 times
30,000 is simply not enough for a Target to blink at when thinking about a new store location.

The population just isn't there.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:56 PM

176 posts, read 157,264 times
AL.com ran an article earlier this summer. Lee County and Phenix City are among the fastest growing areas in Alabama. The larger cities of Alabama are shrinking with the exception of Huntsville. Columbus needs to start marketing as a region not just a city. I work in Chambers County and nearly all those residents come to Columbus for shopping mainly because of more options and lower sales tax rates. The only complaints I hear are fears about crime in Columbus.

Old 09-07-2018, 05:39 AM

1,405 posts, read 1,854,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
I wouldn't look for the Columbus store to lose its electronics department, or to lose any department. The new Starbucks is going to have a far smaller footprint than the old concessions area which was pretty big and always mostly empty.
Correct. Most likely the customer service area will be the Starbucks, and the old Cafe will be the new customer service area. This is what they did in Newnan remodel

Old 09-09-2018, 09:17 AM

310 posts, read 258,198 times
Target would do well in Midtown. Proximity to some nice neighborhoods, downtown, and Ft. Benning.

I don't think that's going to happen, though.

Old 09-10-2018, 06:57 PM

297 posts, read 259,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1999 View Post
AL.com ran an article earlier this summer. Lee County and Phenix City are among the fastest growing areas in Alabama. Columbus needs to start marketing as a region not just a city. I work in Chambers County and nearly all those residents come to Columbus for shopping mainly because of more options and lower sales tax rates..
Regional marketing along with our Alabama neighbors needs to be happening sooner than later. I saw an article a while back about the Phenix City Chamber of Commerce and Auburn/Opelika’s Chamber joining forces to become the East Alabama Chamber. I think Columbus partnering with this organization would only further bring more cohesiveness to the area and have benefits across the board. Thinking regionally is the way to go. Also, I would love to one day see limited access upgrades made to US-431/280 to I-85 in Opelika improving westward connectivity. A new interstate may be unlikely, but improvements along this roadway are feasible and reasonable IMO.

Last edited by TheYoungProfessional; 09-10-2018 at 07:06 PM..

Old 09-11-2018, 08:12 AM

967 posts, read 1,073,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungProfessional View Post
Regional marketing along with our Alabama neighbors needs to be happening sooner than later. I saw an article a while back about the Phenix City Chamber of Commerce and Auburn/Opelika’s Chamber joining forces to become the East Alabama Chamber. I think Columbus partnering with this organization would only further bring more cohesiveness to the area and have benefits across the board. Thinking regionally is the way to go. Also, I would love to one day see limited access upgrades made to US-431/280 to I-85 in Opelika improving westward connectivity. A new interstate may be unlikely, but improvements along this roadway are feasible and reasonable IMO.
I think making a limited access route directly to the Auburn/Opelika area would be a good step to take in growing our area. I hope this does get done one day. Best of all it would already fit in with the I-14 plans as I think that was the planned route for it. Our leadership should still keeping pushing the I-14 idea in hopes of continually gaining support for the initiate.

Old 09-11-2018, 01:22 PM

297 posts, read 259,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWColumbus View Post
I think making a limited access route directly to the Auburn/Opelika area would be a good step to take in growing our area. I hope this does get done one day. Best of all it would already fit in with the I-14 plans as I think that was the planned route for it. Our leadership should still keeping pushing the I-14 idea in hopes of continually gaining support for the initiate.
I try to be optimistic about I-14 as it abosoluetley needed IMO, but I still don’t think it’s a major push for it from city leadership. I have great admiration and respect for the student at UGA who initiated the proposal but beyond sigining a resolution I don’t know if the city has done much more although I could be wrong. To your point, it would be great to already have another segment of the larger project already in place with the limited access upgrades. Hopefully one day!

Old 09-13-2018, 01:33 PM

23 posts, read 25,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyers3 View Post
Miles To Go is going in old Woodstone location
Still hearing some info on Cook Out going in mall parking lot
Circle K is planning to tear down a re-build their Manchester/2nd Avenue location to be ~double the size

Cookout is still on. There is a delay on permits for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA