Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 07:19 AM

858 posts, read 2,993,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
Do you also complain about the century old UI of your car, with a big steering wheel in front of you and pedals for gas and brake? Or about door knobs? What about toilet paper, should we change the UI of it too? Seashells anyone?
Come on now, you really can't be thinking that a mechanical device and toilet paper is a reasonable analogy to the latest computers and software!

Computers, and modern electronics are evolving faster than we can imagine, and so must the software that keeps them working.

It wasn't that long ago that we were using 32 bit programs, now we're using 64 bit.

Integration of all this electronic stuff is driving software change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 12:47 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
For the 123,214th time, explain to me how the Metro interface helps with my productivity and what's wrong with the "antiquated Windows 95" UI? Do you also complain about the century old UI of your car, with a big steering wheel in front of you and pedals for gas and brake? Or about door knobs? What about toilet paper, should we change the UI of it too? Seashells anyone?
The metro interface makes it much easier to organize your programs into categories, enlarge what you use often so it's easy to find, etc, than Windows 95. You could organize the old start menu, but it was a pain. In Windows 8, it's trivial. And that all assumes you're using the old, inefficient method of looking through lists of programs to find what you need, instead of just typing the first few characters and pressing enter, which the 95 interface didn't have.

Old 01-12-2014, 01:08 PM

17,711 posts, read 29,812,481 times
Default Say goodbye to Windows 8

http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/th...hip-april-2015

"Threshold" to be Called Windows 9, Ship in April 2015

"At the BUILD developer conference in April 2014, Microsoft will discuss its vision for the future of Windows, including a year-off release codenamed "Threshold" that will most likely be called Windows 9. Here's what I know about the next major release of Windows."

there is a lot more

Old 01-12-2014, 01:52 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Windows 9. To distance itself from the Windows 8 debacle, Microsoft is currently planning to drop the Windows 8 name and brand this next release as Windows 9. That could change, but that's the current thinking....Je me rends/MS is waiving the white flag?

Old 01-12-2014, 02:10 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Windows 9. To distance itself from the Windows 8 debacle, Microsoft is currently planning to drop the Windows 8 name and brand this next release as Windows 9. That could change, but that's the current thinking....Je me rends/MS is waiving the white flag?
It worked for Vista. Microsoft has a serious branding problem.

Old 01-12-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
The metro interface makes it much easier to organize your programs into categories, enlarge what you use often so it's easy to find, etc, than Windows 95. You could organize the old start menu, but it was a pain. In Windows 8, it's trivial. And that all assumes you're using the old, inefficient method of looking through lists of programs to find what you need, instead of just typing the first few characters and pressing enter, which the 95 interface didn't have.
To add on to this, people use their computers in different ways today than they did in 1995. You have to adopt to use-patterns. People stream more content, need live updates, need different views based on context, have always-connected applications, engage in more multimedia, and have rich communication applications. You need an interface that's designed around the needs of today. People aren't sitting at their computers typing up recipes anymore.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:51 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
The real issue is we like things to remain the same and are resistant to change.

Well,.......Change Is The Future, so rather than fight it, embrace it.
Tired of this comment. People are not, overall, resistant to change.
I am very tech savvy and I love new things. Can't wait for stuff to change.
Windows 8/8.1 sucks.
It was done poorly and the reason it was done was #1: Microsoft is doing ALL of this because they were getting smoked in the tablet/smartphone categories. The plan is to unify everything so that you buy a Windows 8 laptop/tablet/smartphone. A grand plan. Not a bad plan. But it reeks of desperation.
I have Windows 8.1 and spend 99% of my time in the Desktop environment.
It's WAY easier to *Snap* Windows side by side. Browsing the internet in Metro sucks. Sure you can arrange your icons easier but in Metro when you snap to ALL APPS it is just as convoluted if not more so, then the Start menu in Windows 7.

Microsoft CLEARLY Dropped the ball and put out a product not many people are in love with. People shouldn't be made to feel like they suck at technology or are grumpy old godgers that don't like change because they don't like a product. What annoys me are the sheep that just walk along "everything Microsoft does is awesome...". Companies do, and will always, make mistakes. MS has pretty much admitted they did.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:46 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,697,355 times
I hate Windows 8 because they took all the bits that worked and threw a wrench in it and calls it "change."

The whole Start Menu change is not even the root of the problem because I know how to disable it but there are so many quirky design decisions that made things a mess. There are lots of pluses but those are features are dampened by all the poorly enforced changes.

Old 01-13-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I hate Windows 8 because they took all the bits that worked and threw a wrench in it and calls it "change."

The whole Start Menu change is not even the root of the problem because I know how to disable it but there are so many quirky design decisions that made things a mess. There are lots of pluses but those are features are dampened by all the poorly enforced changes.
8.1 is a huge improvement that resolved most of the issues with Windows 8.

Old 01-14-2014, 10:01 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,689,232 times
I wouldn't say HUGE. More like minor that fixed SOME of the issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers