Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 08:42 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,181,292 times

Advertisements

Windows 8.1 is the best thing since sliced bread. These articles prove it:

PC sales saw worst-ever decline in 2013 - National | Globalnews.ca

Chromebooks pick up 10% of the computer market in 2013, capitalizing on Windows 8′s failure | ExtremeTech

U.S. Mac Sales Grow 28.5% in Holiday Quarter, PC Market Suffers Worst Decline Ever | The Tech Pundit

Yep, Windows 8 is the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 08:43 PM

16,561 posts, read 19,767,844 times
Because they want to force you into the world of Apps and the MS App store. So when you go to trade in your iPhone the salesguy says "hey... if you buy this Windows phone you're going to have all your apps that you bought on your laptop".
Well heck, what tablet are you going to buy next?

This is all Windows 8/8.1 was intended to do... get you to buy a phone. Period.
\\EDIT\\ A WINDOWS phone.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:01 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,971,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
If Classic Shell, Start8, and other third party software can get rid of Metro, Charms, and restore the Start menu to the way it was on Windows 7, why can't MS do the same?
Not sure, hell, they probably don't even know why. I would say greed, but as the sales show, Windows ain't sellin so well so they have to know they screwed up.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:25 AM

72 posts, read 99,979 times
We actually love it =) It was an adjustment which I think is the biggest reason others don't like it.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:58 AM

16,561 posts, read 19,767,844 times
I think we already covered that it being an adjustment isn't the reason people don't like it.

Old 01-15-2014, 05:37 PM

3,465 posts, read 4,854,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
If Classic Shell, Start8, and other third party software can get rid of Metro, Charms, and restore the Start menu to the way it was on Windows 7, why can't MS do the same?

Seems like the beta version of 8 had the ability to switch between them or at least some fashion of the start menu. It seems it was removed because MS thought if they tried to force metro on everyone, they would use it, get used to it and then buy windows phones and surface tablets since they had the same interface. It apparently didn't occur to them that we just wouldn't buy any of them. lol There are other options these days.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:59 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,987,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I can understand embracing the concept of change, the fact that change happens and drives us forward as a species. That I can understand and (to a certain extent) agree with. But if what you're suggesting is that we should embrace every change just for the sake of change, just because "change is the future," I couldn't disagree more. If a certain change doesn't add anything to my life, doesn't make my life better in any way, then why would I embrace it? And if it actually detracts from my life - makes my life worse - then I'm certainly not going to embrace it; I'm going to reject it.

And Windows 8 is a change that makes my life worse, without making it significantly better in any way. I'm a very simple, basic computer user; I want to do word processing, look up information on the internet, send and receive e-mail, and occasionally check out a Youtube video. That's it; that's 95% of my computer usage right there. Most of the things that Win8 is designed to make it easier to do are things I do not want to do, and the tradeoff that I am forced to accept is that by designing it to do those things more easily, they have made it more difficult and more complicated to do the simple things I do want to do.

That is not change for the better; that is change for the worse. And no, I am most assuredly not going to embrace it. You're right - I do want my operating system to remain basically the same, and the reason for that is simple. It already did exactly what I wanted it to do, and did it rather efficiently. So why would I want it to change? I do appreciate today's faster connection speeds, of course, but as far as the operating system, interface, and basic software, every single thing I do on the computer could easily be done with Windows 95, Netscape Navigator, Office 97, and maybe Photoshop 5, if they were still available and supported. They could have stopped right there, and I'd have been happy the rest of my life. There is nothing about Windows 8 that I needed in order to make my computer experience more satisfying or enjoyable.

Is it that much more difficult? In most cases, perhaps not. But every single time I have to perform additional actions in order to complete the same basic task, it is an unnecessary inconvenience. I don't embrace even minor unnecessary inconveniences. And in some cases, yes - it's considerably more difficult to perform some basic tasks in Windows 8, and I certainly don't embrace that.

For those who like Windows 8, good on 'em. I'm happy for them, but for me, it represents nothing but a colossal PIA, because it makes it harder for me to do what I want to do and doesn't offer me anything useful in return. That's where the whole issue begins and ends with me.
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man "George Bernard Shaw"

I hate it too!

Old 01-20-2014, 09:04 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,849,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theguyfrompluto View Post
Why? Everyone I know including a majority of people on this forum hate it. I actually like windows 8 because of its convinces. Why does everyone hate it?
It is OK for touch device...otherwise it sucks...I know ...I know...the world is going touchie.

Old 01-20-2014, 10:08 AM

17,717 posts, read 29,902,320 times
Default this is too funny

HP brings back Windows 7 'by popular demand' | The Verge

"HP really wants people to buy a Windows 7 PC instead of a Windows 8 machine. The PC maker has been emailing customers over the weekend noting that "Windows 7 is back." A new promotion, designed to entice people to select Windows 7 over Windows 8 with $150 of "savings," has launched on HP’s website with a "back by popular demand" slogan. The move is clearly designed to position Windows 7 over Microsoft’s touch-centric Windows 8 operating system."

Old 01-20-2014, 08:37 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,195,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
And I really have no idea why NJBest claims 8.1 was a HUGE improvement.
HCI research. Look into the research coming out of Stanford, UMich, and CMU. Particularly interesting is the depth of Albert Corbett's HCC work on Windows UIs. It's available on ACM.org. I think it will be showcased at the D conference (which I think is called WSJ.D conference this year).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers