Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 09:02 AM

879 posts, read 1,660,602 times

Advertisements

Er, God forbid it *rain*. I know how to use the subjunctive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2011, 06:19 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,863,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
For example, today there was very little traffic on the Merritt. Tomorrow it could be jammed up.
It was light because most schools were not in session. Trust me when i say, if school isn't in session, traffic is much lighter. Always.

Please cancel school again tomorrow. Ah hell, just give them the whole week off..............

Old 10-31-2011, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
It was light because most schools were not in session. Trust me when i say, if school isn't in session, traffic is much lighter. Always.

Please cancel school again tomorrow. Ah hell, just give them the whole week off..............
So true.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:26 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,456,102 times
The only thing "wrong" with Ridgefield is the commute to NYC... it's not easy depending on where in town you are. That's why all the lower FFC towns are more expensive, they are more convenient to NYC. Stamford commute is not bad at all - again depending on where you are. You will take the back roads, which I prefered, but you will need 4x4 in the winter. Took me about 50 minutes to get to downtown Stamford from Ridgefield, up near the Danbury line at rush hour. From southern Ridgefield, about 35 mins.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:48 AM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
The only thing "wrong" with Ridgefield is the commute to NYC... it's not easy depending on where in town you are. That's why all the lower FFC towns are more expensive, they are more convenient to NYC. Stamford commute is not bad at all - again depending on where you are. You will take the back roads, which I prefered, but you will need 4x4 in the winter. Took me about 50 minutes to get to downtown Stamford from Ridgefield, up near the Danbury line at rush hour. From southern Ridgefield, about 35 mins.
That's about right. Snow tires are a must.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:22 PM

Yikes, snow tires? Maybe I'll just stick to the coast!

For awhile, while waiting to move into an apartment in Norwalk when we first moved to CT, we commuted down 35 from Putnam County through Ridgefield and Wilton over the winter. It was fine, but we were on the main road 100%.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:10 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,456,102 times
35 is nothing... you basically take High Ridge Road (or Long Ridge) from northern Stamford over hill and dale to 35 in Lewisboro and then cut over on 35. It's the North Stamford/Pound Ridge "hill and dale" that gets ya during the winter.

Old 11-02-2011, 06:40 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lintu View Post
Yikes, snow tires? Maybe I'll just stick to the coast!

For awhile, while waiting to move into an apartment in Norwalk when we first moved to CT, we commuted down 35 from Putnam County through Ridgefield and Wilton over the winter. It was fine, but we were on the main road 100%.
Snow tires aren't a must. Just make sure they're tires with decent tread and you'll be absolutely fine. You may not make it up a huge hill in the middle of a snowstorm, but other than that you'll be fine. I have never had snow tires on my front wheel drive car and I got through the snow just fine at the height of the multiple 2+ foot storms we had last season.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:04 PM

21,758 posts, read 28,086,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Snow tires aren't a must. Just make sure they're tires with decent tread and you'll be absolutely fine. You may not make it up a huge hill in the middle of a snowstorm, but other than that you'll be fine. I have never had snow tires on my front wheel drive car and I got through the snow just fine at the height of the multiple 2+ foot storms we had last season.
I was fine commuting too along the coast with the bad snow, but then again my commute was different than it used to be. I used to commute from the Danbury area down to the Norwalk area, and took Route 58/53. With the hills, sharp turns and constant elevation changes, snow tires really help. I had some very difficult drives in the winter with all-seasons, even on a Pathfinder at one point. The 4WD only helps in getting you going, not navigating a sharp turn.

Now commuting on roads in Milford and then the Merritt or 95 is a cinch in comparison, even when we got the crazy snow storms. I have a RWD car with crappy run-flat all-seasons and I only got stuck once on Route 1 in Westport when it was coming down hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut