Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 12:25 AM

519 posts, read 744,428 times

Advertisements

I drive a stick and I see it all the time on small hills... some times I will roll back and I found they do the following..

1.) Stop getting closer
2.) Have a panic look
3.) When I roll forward they still stay close to my bumper

I really don't get it.. they fall in the same line of people that wont let you merge on the highway in rush hour traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 02:56 AM

413 posts, read 1,106,479 times
I am moving to Weston, Connecticut from Westchester County, New York, this weekend. In Westchester, people don't beep at you all the time. It's considered rude. In CT, apparently this is not the case. (For example, I was turning left and was stuck in an intersection until the light for the oncoming traffic turned red. This older woman in a very large hat leaned on her horn, completely unnecessarily.) Will people be more polite when I lose the New York plates (because it's socially acceptable to hate New York), or is this the way that CT drivers roll?

Old 07-25-2012, 06:15 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonny View Post
I am moving to Weston, Connecticut from Westchester County, New York, this weekend. In Westchester, people don't beep at you all the time. It's considered rude. In CT, apparently this is not the case. (For example, I was turning left and was stuck in an intersection until the light for the oncoming traffic turned red. This older woman in a very large hat leaned on her horn, completely unnecessarily.) Will people be more polite when I lose the New York plates (because it's socially acceptable to hate New York), or is this the way that CT drivers roll?
CT drivers know no boundaries. When you have CT plates, little will change.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:53 AM

3,351 posts, read 4,171,712 times
Quote:
Do you drive the highways in Westchester or travel through lower Westchester? Horns are pretty prevalent. (disclaimer: My folks live there). However, similar to CT, you aren't going to hear many horns once you get off the highways and out of the cities. Driving around Weston, Wilton, Redding is going to be horn free.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Do you drive the highways in Westchester or travel through lower Westchester? Horns are pretty prevalent. (disclaimer: My folks live there). However, similar to CT, you aren't going to hear many horns once you get off the highways and out of the cities. Driving around Weston, Wilton, Redding is going to be horn free.
That's because there aren't many cars in Redding/Weston. But Wilton? I've seen my share of road rage in my days of living in Danbury and commuting to Norwalk on Route 7. It's far from "horn free".

Old 07-25-2012, 07:23 AM

3,351 posts, read 4,171,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That's because there aren't many cars in Redding/Weston. But Wilton? I've seen my share of road rage in my days of living in Danbury and commuting to Norwalk on Route 7. It's far from "horn free".
I can't tell you the last time I've been on Route 7 (fine three weeks ago), and in my opinion the dynamics have changed quite a bit since the widening. I'm pretty sure you weren't living in Danbury post 2009, but I could be wrong. I'll also put New Canaan on the horn free list--- I've seen locals confront/chew out visitors for violations. It's definitely the exception.

Old 07-25-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
I can't tell you the last time I've been on Route 7 (fine three weeks ago), and in my opinion the dynamics have changed quite a bit since the widening. I'm pretty sure you weren't living in Danbury post 2009, but I could be wrong. I'll also put New Canaan on the horn free list--- I've seen locals confront/chew out visitors for violations. It's definitely the exception.
No, it was in the early 00s. Way before the widening. I actually haven't been there since the construction has been complete, but I hope tempers have calmed a bit in 10 years.

Old 07-25-2012, 10:09 AM

337 posts, read 1,024,073 times
I always felt that the closer you get to NY/NJ, the worse the drivers get...

Old 07-25-2012, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomgd3 View Post
I always felt that the closer you get to NY/NJ, the worse the drivers get...
It's really a coastal thing with CT, IMO. There's a major difference between the driving habits in Hartford vs Fairfield/New Haven. Driving on 91 a few weeks ago, it was like all hell broke loose once we got south of 691.

Old 07-25-2012, 02:20 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times
Horns are rude?

Quote:
(For example, I was turning left and was stuck in an intersection until the light for the oncoming traffic turned red. This older woman in a very large hat leaned on her horn, completely unnecessarily.)
What you did is actually illegal and downright rude. It's called blocking the box, and it jams EVERYONE up because you blocked the intersection AND ran a red light. I would have honked too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut