Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 06:55 AM

413 posts, read 1,106,479 times

Advertisements

Exactly! That's what I was doing, and I got beeped at for doing it. By a very tony woman with a big big hat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2012, 07:01 AM

3,351 posts, read 4,171,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonny View Post
Exactly! That's what I was doing, and I got beeped at for doing it. By a very tony woman with a big big hat.
Trust me when I say this... This too happens all the time in Westchester.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:02 AM

21,630 posts, read 31,226,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Trust me when I say this... This too happens all the time in Westchester.
Yep. It happens everywhere.

Except for the quiet seaside towns in Orange County, CA. People look horrified if you beep your horn.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:13 AM

413 posts, read 1,106,479 times
Right. Need some perspective here! Once my children threw french fries out of the car. I was in Westchester, and stopped and was running around trying to pick up everything. This woman stopped and yelled at me. That was the worst. I obviously did not want them to throw things out of the car, or I wouldn't be going crazy trying to pick everything up. I hate moving. People always do this to you when you're vulnerable.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Right. Need some perspective here! Once my children threw french fries out of the car. I was in Westchester, and stopped and was running around trying to pick up everything. This woman stopped and yelled at me. That was the worst. I obviously did not want them to throw things out of the car, or I wouldn't be going crazy trying to pick everything up. I hate moving. People always do this to you when you're vulnerable.
The woman who honked at you had no idea you were moving.

Old 07-26-2012, 07:25 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,852,763 times
CT and Westchester highways are a nightmare. I get nervous just thinking of driving them daily. Summer vacationers add to the problem.

Tailgating is bad everywhere these days but CT/NY/NJ are right up there with the best of them. It is part of the hurried, 'success'/"compete" culture (IMO), combined with dense population and LONG commutes.

It is one price paid for living in these areas. It will likely never get better, in fact probably only will get worse.

Old 07-26-2012, 09:47 AM

130 posts, read 362,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
Growing up in New Haven/FF County myself, it's been my experience as well. Thanks for recognizing it. It's really not so bad up here, and indeed is it's own metro just getting along.

I think some of your observation, unfortunately is also held by many in government in Hartford who are from FFC. (Jodi Rell anyone?) I guess you get the same thing in MA where anything West of Worcester is "over there" wishing they were "here".

Growing up in Hartford, my view of FFC residents was always something along the line of "fraking New Yorkers".....

Old 07-27-2012, 06:25 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times
Quote:
I hate moving. People always do this to you when you're vulnerable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiker16 View Post
Growing up in Hartford, my view of FFC residents was always something along the line of "fraking New Yorkers".....
I can see that for sure.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:42 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,640,043 times
I would think that anyone who is tailgated anywhere is very tired of it. I know here in North Carolina it can be dangerous to drive the speed limit. I find it scary to drive 55 miles per hour with another car riding my bumper. So I let up off the gas and let the car show down until they get the message. At least if they hit you at a slower speed, it won't cause as much damage. Turning on your lights also make it look like you are putting on the brakes. Some people are even too stupid to back off after these two things happen.

I wish you could get their license number and charge them with threatening your life because a person riding your bumper is threatening your life if they hit you hard enough and break your neck with whiplash. The only place I have ever seen deal with this is Knoxville, Tennessee. Tailgate going through Knoxville and you WILL get a ticket. They have signs up telling you so and I saw many people getting tickets as we drove through. Thank you for protecting your citizens, Knoxville.

Old 07-27-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I would think that anyone who is tailgated anywhere is very tired of it. I know here in North Carolina it can be dangerous to drive the speed limit. I find it scary to drive 55 miles per hour with another car riding my bumper. So I let up off the gas and let the car show down until they get the message. At least if they hit you at a slower speed, it won't cause as much damage. Turning on your lights also make it look like you are putting on the brakes. Some people are even too stupid to back off after these two things happen.
Stupidity works both ways. Slowing down your car until they "get the message" is not only endangering other people (because they'll likely pull a daring stunt to get around you), it's baiting. The person will become enraged. That's not good for anyone.

Next time, just pull off to the side and let the moron pass. Don't engage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
The only place I have ever seen deal with this is Knoxville, Tennessee. Tailgate going through Knoxville and you WILL get a ticket. They have signs up telling you so and I saw many people getting tickets as we drove through. Thank you for protecting your citizens, Knoxville.
Now THIS is what all states should do. There should be "NO AGGRESSIVE DRIVING" signs, as well as "KEEP RIGHT, PASS LEFT" signs. Aggressive drivers are too dangerous, and they're everywhere. It's an issue that needs to be tackled by state and local governments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut