Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 06:40 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,895,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
What an awesome winter forecast Cornwall, CT

A chance of snow showers after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 28. Light and variable wind becoming west 5 to 10 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Tuesday Night A slight chance of snow showers before 1am. Partly cloudy, with a low around 13. West wind 9 to 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
New Year's Day A slight chance of snow showers after 1pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 24. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Wednesday Night A chance of snow. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 12. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
Thursday Snow likely. Cloudy, with a high near 19. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Thursday Night Snow likely. Cloudy, with a low around 6. Chance of precipitation is 60%.
Friday A chance of snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 12. Chance of precipitation is 30%.
Friday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around -3.
Sounds more like a typical wintertime forecast for Buffalo, LOL!

Old 12-29-2013, 06:45 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,399,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Sounds more like a typical wintertime forecast for Buffalo, LOL!
LOL!
No it doesn't. Buffalo isn't that cold. lol Actually Buffalo is only slightly colder bdl. Same average low/slightly lower average high in buffalo. I love buffalo's winter climate. Not too cold and really snowy But the amount of snow in the forecast is definitely like Buffalo.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:40 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,208,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Accuweather Graphics for the snowstorm. No doubt snow is going to happen for us. Question is how much and how strong. Thinking it starts early Thursday morning. Morning & Evening Commutes might be horrible. I'm planning around Thursday already

Thursday Snowstorm to Affect Large Part of Northeast
Just terrific......This is what annoys me. My place is closed for Wednesday for New Years and I have to go in on Thursday. God forbid it would snow on my day off.....
Ugh.........Hopefully it won't be a major storm......

Old 12-29-2013, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
LOL!
No it doesn't. Buffalo isn't that cold. lol Actually Buffalo is only slightly colder bdl. Same average low/slightly lower average high in buffalo. I love buffalo's winter climate. Not too cold and really snowy But the amount of snow in the forecast is definitely like Buffalo.
No I was thinking the constant snow in the forecast, not the cold......if it were the cold I'd have said Minneapolis instead.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:04 AM

83,527 posts, read 75,355,132 times
Thursday Snowstorm Update:

Now we start to get into the timeframe where details can be mentioned. I want to wait until the 12z runs to really feel better about it.

So Euro now shows a blizzard. Yes... the B word. "But", it's the only one.

980mb low coming of NJ and strengthening into a 972mb low near the capes. Snow totals from that update on the right. Widespread 9-12 inches. And that's using 10:1 snow ratios. They would be higher.

Attached Thumbnails
Weather in Connecticut-euro14.jpg  

Old 12-30-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Thursday Snowstorm Update:

Now we start to get into the timeframe where details can be mentioned. I want to wait until the 12z runs to really feel better about it.

So Euro now shows a blizzard. Yes... the B word. "But", it's the only one.

980mb low coming of NJ and strengthening into a 972mb low near the capes. Snow totals from that update on the right. Widespread 9-12 inches. And that's using 10:1 snow ratios. They would be higher.
I noticed that both the Weather Channel and NWS are showing a mix with sleet and freezing rain Thursday for most of the tri-state area. I assume there are some models with that, I hadn't heard about that until today, all I heard from the usual places I lurk was either blizzard or minimal/possibly nothing until now depending on the model.....or is that why the Euro shows lower totals from Philly on south (i.e. maybe it sees that scenario down there instead?).

Old 12-30-2013, 07:10 AM

754 posts, read 1,018,622 times
Amazing its mon and they have no accurate feel yet

Old 12-30-2013, 07:33 AM

1,395 posts, read 1,511,834 times
Interesting to see what models are showing possible around Jan 7-8th. This would be a record shattering cold shot with below zero temps. Wow!

Old 12-30-2013, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian26 View Post
Interesting to see what models are showing possible around Jan 7-8th. This would be a record shattering cold shot with below zero temps. Wow!

Wow if that model proves true Central Park might have its first subzero low since 1994 (longest such streak without one in history, previous record 18 years from 1943 to 1961). I think a lot will depend on if and how much snow we get Thursday and next Monday, snow cover (especially newly fresh snow cover) tends to lower the nighttime lows a little.

Also, per Jack Boston of Accuweather, "If New York's Central Park fails to reach 20 degrees for a high temperature on Friday, it will be the first time this has occurred since Jan. 16, 2009" (I incorrectly in a previous post thought it was the January 2004 day where the low hit 1 degree).

Old 12-30-2013, 08:18 AM

679 posts, read 1,191,138 times
Strong words from NWS:

Hazardous Weather Outlook: CARIBOU ME (East Central, North Central, and Southeast Maine)
Quote:
541 AM EST MON DEC 30 2013

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...TUESDAY THROUGH SUNDAY.

LOW PRESSURE WILL TRACK FROM THE MID ATLANTIC COAST TO JUST OFF OF
NOVA SCOTIA THURSDAY INTO FRIDAY. THIS SYSTEM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO
PRODUCE SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL ACROSS DOWNEAST MAINE.
STAY TUNED FOR
LATER UPDATES ON THIS SITUATION.

Hazardous Weather Outlook: BURLINGTON VT (Northern NY, Central VT, NE VT, NW VT and Southern VT)
Quote:
355 AM EST MON DEC 30 2013

A SIGNIFICANT SNOWFALL IS LIKELY ACROSS VERMONT AND NORTHERN NEW YORK
THURSDAY AND FRIDAY...AS A LOW PRESSURE AREA MOVES SLOWLY EASTWARD
FROM THE OHIO VALLEY ON THURSDAY...AND THEN OFF THE NEW JERSEY
COAST BY EARLY FRIDAY MORNING. THE COLD ARCTIC AIR OVER THE REGION
THURSDAY AND FRIDAY WILL RESULT IN THE PRODUCTION OF A DRY FLUFFY
SNOW...AND NOT A HEAVY WET SNOW. HOWEVER...GIVEN THE LONG DURATION
OF THIS EVENT...A SIGNIFICANT SNOW ACCUMULATION IS LIKELY BY
FRIDAY.
IF THESE TRENDS CONTINUE...THEN A WINTER STORM WATCH MAY NEED
TO BE ISSUED LATER THIS WEEK.

Hazardous Weather Outlook: NEW YORK NY (Southern CT, NE NJ, SE NY)
Quote:
438 AM EST MON DEC 30 2013

LIKELIHOOD IS INCREASING FOR A PROLONGED PERIOD OF SNOW AND/OR
WINTRY MIX LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT INTO FRIDAY. SEVERAL INCHES OF
SNOW ARE POSSIBLE...PARTICULARLY ACROSS THE INTERIOR. CLOSER TO
THE COAST...ACCUMULATING SNOW COULD BE ACCOMPANIED BY A PERIOD OF
SLEET AND FREEZING RAIN.

CONTINUE TO MONITOR NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE FORECASTS AS
UNCERTAINTY STILL EXISTS IN EXACT PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS AND WINTER
PRECIPITATION TYPES.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut