Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2014, 04:14 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,854,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Wow, not one post in this thread today?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek View Post
You just had to bump it....

It's a social experiment that i'm conducting.

Trying to keep the As The Nep Turns saga confined to a singular thread.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:14 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,939,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
It's a social experiment that i'm conducting.

Trying to keep the As The Nep Turns saga confined to a singular thread.
Well, just like everyone else in this forum, I have the right to express my feelings and decisions as well. If you don't like it, then just ignore it. This is an open forum, to the extent that the topic is generally adhered to.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Please be candid--- but how much time did you really spend in Vicksburg and Hattiesburg? I'm willing to wager it was just a drive by.

I'm also surprised you got that vibe from Hattiesburg in particular with 25% poverty rate and family income below $30,000!
I haven't been to Vicksburg or Hattiesburg at all. But I have actually been to Jackson, Natchez and Biloxi and actually spent time there outdoors and doing things and making good observation of the area. They're small places, so it's easy to get a feel for it with little time devoted.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:56 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,132,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I haven't been to Vicksburg or Hattiesburg at all. But I have actually been to Jackson, Natchez and Biloxi and actually spent time there outdoors and doing things and making good observation of the area. They're small places, so it's easy to get a feel for it with little time devoted.
Did you get a feel for the gay scene in Natchez?

Old 07-17-2014, 07:21 PM

1,129 posts, read 1,350,803 times
Nep, how about this place?

//www.city-data.com/forum/roche...ndly-city.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochester-WNY
I would actually say it is an extremely gay friendly city. I am striaght and I have 4 close gay friends. I have never heard of any hate crimes and no problems in general.
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin'
There are many neighborhoods in the city that are known to be "gay friendly" and have large gay populations; namely the upper monroe neighborhood, park avenue, and especially Neighborhood of the Arts.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Did you get a feel for the gay scene in Natchez?
There probably isn't one. But I don't believe in the concept of a gay scene. Gay people should be integrated evenly into society, regardless of how populated an area is. I'm not a scene type of guy. I like regular guys, like the landscaper or the cop, who doesn't give into social pressures and merge themselves into a subculture just because of who they are.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computergeek View Post
Like Hartford, the Rochester area is not exactly a magnet for young people, probably for similar reasons. Both metro areas are strikingly similar. Similar demographics, similar climate, similar metro size. But as a young person myself, I would probably just choose Hartford metro over Rochester metro. I mean, the climate is better in Hartford, and most importantly....JOBS!

Old 07-17-2014, 09:23 PM

1,690 posts, read 2,059,743 times
Quote:
You know what though.... The same charm and architecture that you see in New England can also be found in the old south. Places that aren't generic and booming, such as Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama. I've traveled Mississippi extensively and there are many beautiful slave plantations still standing today on beautiful properties and many small deep south towns. Mississippi, Alabama and Louisiana don't have that generic, plastic feel that you see in places like Charlotte, Raleigh and Atlanta. Trust me. Places like Natchez, Vicksburg, Mobile, Hattiesburg, Alexandria all hold their own against New England charm.
I would not say they hold their own against New England Charm, but I would say they hold a charm that is different from New England and can be appreciated on its own.

Most of all this charm is rooted in old England and Ireland and the Southland and New England were both settled by colonists from England.
Maddam and Sir turned ma'am and yessir

The South had the solo frontier men who built their own forts for towns and made money selling tobacco, cotton, and trading slaves.

Colonial New England also had slaves under British rule but not nearly as many....New England was where British settlers came down with their entire families...to stay and permanently settle. Hence, the charm of the New England colonies was MUCH more sought out! They built the Ivy League schools and sturdier buildings and invested into the quality of life in the towns.

To THIS day the aftermath of the family system (New England) vs the solo profiteer system (Dixieland) are rivaling each other...incredibly

The New England model is a volunteer system of throw enormous public funds into education and infrastructure and tax commerce to do it, including gasoline and/or turnpike tolls on interstate highways, and a high tax base
Use this to ensure a minimum high quality standard of living for the likes of families who plan to work in the same town cradle to grave

The South model is to invest the bare minimum in almost all of public services and just that which is necessary for the place to be satisfactory for a gainseeking individual

These 2 models have been fiercely rivaling each other for centuries and still are in 2014

Old 07-18-2014, 05:17 AM

2,122 posts, read 2,420,189 times
Quote:
There probably isn't one. But I don't believe in the concept of a gay scene. Gay people should be integrated evenly into society, regardless of how populated an area is. I'm not a scene type of guy. I like regular guys, like the landscaper or the cop, who doesn't give into social pressures and merge themselves into a subculture just because of who they are.
That's great you finally see the light Nep. I remember not too long ago you were complaining about the "gay scene" or dwindling gay bars of CT in particular. While having some, especially ones with a history, is important for culture and tradition sake, others pointed out that they go to "whatever bar they feel like going to",choosing NOT to segregate themselves.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:13 AM

14,352 posts, read 17,015,156 times
Jumping in here, as I'm from FFC originally, and I found the following interesting posts about why young people are leaving the NYC suburbs (including Connecticut)

First, this post details how in lower Fairfield County the population of children under 5, as well as young adults 25-34, has collapsed. The writer concludes that it is high prices which are forcing young adults out of Connecticut.

This follow up post talks about how the local property tax system of funding schools probably contributes to the problem. Essentially, as long as you have schools funded on a town-by-town basis it won't be in their interest to expand the housing stock by offering "family-friendly starter houses," as it will result in higher property taxes due to additional funds needed by the public school system.

Just some food for thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut