Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2015, 03:13 PM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Okay, but do people in NHC frequently talk about NYC in the workplace and in general? Here in FFC in my office, people seem to worship NYC and talk about it at work frequently and their day trips or even at night for dinner, etc. Even outside of work, people occasionally or frequently talk about it and make plans to go "down to the city" and stuff. Personally, I don't care about NYC and want nothing to do with it or even hear about it. When I lived in Hartford County, it was very, very rare for people to talk about NYC or make plans to visit the city, etc. People actually lived their lives in Hartford County 99% of the time. I liked that. So, is NHC more similar to Hartford County people in that regard? Or more similar to FFC? Or what?
Why do you care what other people do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2015, 06:01 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,953,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Why do you care what other people do?
I don't care what other people do. But I feel like I'm sort of a misfit for not loving NYC, here in FFC. Everyone at my office seems to love the damn city and plan company events and trainings in the damn city. I would rather live and work around like-minded people, if that makes any sense. People with similar perspectives and interests. I don't want any part of my life associated with NYC whatsoever. That's how it was in Hartford County....people were more grounded. Sorry, but I just don't like any NYC influence at all. There's a certain degree of sophistication and fondness of NYC among the people here in FFC, and I don't fit in at all. I'm just a small town Granby boy who likes nature, animals and video games. Not luxury apartments, fine dining, entertainment and sophisticated clothing.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:08 PM

1,195 posts, read 1,626,612 times
Quote:
I'm just a small town Granby boy who likes nature, animals and video games.
And starting endless threads of contradictory whining.

I don't believe that your actions follow your words. You absolutely hate FFC yet you took a job there and live in Norwalk? Tell me how that makes sense. I'm sorry, there are accounting jobs everywhere. Your problems have nothing to do with where you live, and the sooner you realize it, the sooner you'll end up in a better place.. both emotionally and career-wise.

Old 04-08-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
And starting endless threads of contradictory whining.

I don't believe that your actions follow your words. You absolutely hate FFC yet you took a job there and live in Norwalk? Tell me how that makes sense. I'm sorry, there are accounting jobs everywhere. Your problems have nothing to do with where you live, and the sooner you realize it, the sooner you'll end up in a better place.. both emotionally and career-wise.
No, accounting jobs are not plentiful everywhere (try finding many of them in Las Vegas, Orlando or even San Diego). Accounting jobs are much more plentiful in places like the coastal Northeast, Houston, Atlanta, Ohio, etc. I'm not in accounting, but corporate tax accounting, at the staff/senior level. It's rather specific, specialized and limited.

Fairfield County happens to be the #1 best place in the entire country for my specific profession. There are plenty of jobs here for me. And when I was long-term unemployed two years ago, coming here was the best option for me, and I thought I would give it a shot. I didn't like it here...so what? It made me like greater Hartford much more than I did before. Experiencing different things in life can help make you gain a better perspective on things. I know a few people who are native to Fairfield County and tried living and/or working up in Hartford and concluded that they didn't like it there. To each his own.

I just want to live in a lower key place with less traffic and affordable housing. This is the year (2015) that I'm going to make it happen. You'll see.

I don't want to take this thread off tangent. I was politely asking for opinions on New Haven County from those who are more intimately familiar with the cities and towns there, since I have never lived there and was curious if I should even pursue it. That's all.

Old 04-08-2015, 07:08 PM

14,055 posts, read 13,942,709 times
Quote:
No, accounting jobs are not plentiful everywhere (try finding many of them in Las Vegas, Orlando or even San Diego). Accounting jobs are much more plentiful in places like the coastal Northeast, Houston, Atlanta, Ohio, etc. I'm not in accounting, but corporate tax accounting, at the staff/senior level. It's rather specific, specialized and limited.

Fairfield County happens to be the #1 best place in the entire country for my specific profession. There are plenty of jobs here for me. And when I was long-term unemployed two years ago, coming here was the best option for me, and I thought I would give it a shot. I didn't like it here...so what? It made me like greater Hartford much more than I did before. Experiencing different things in life can help make you gain a better perspective on things. I know a few people who are native to Fairfield County and tried living and/or working up in Hartford and concluded that they didn't like it there. To each his own.

I just want to live in a lower key place with less traffic and affordable housing. This is the year (2015) that I'm going to make it happen. You'll see.

I don't want to take this thread off tangent. I was politely asking for opinions on New Haven County from those who are more intimately familiar with the cities and towns there, since I have never lived there and was curious if I should even pursue it. That's all.

Milford, New Haven

Old 04-09-2015, 08:58 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,624,641 times
Quote:
I don't care what other people do. But I feel like I'm sort of a misfit for not loving NYC, here in FFC. Everyone at my office seems to love the damn city and plan company events and trainings in the damn city. I would rather live and work around like-minded people, if that makes any sense. People with similar perspectives and interests. I don't want any part of my life associated with NYC whatsoever. That's how it was in Hartford County....people were more grounded. Sorry, but I just don't like any NYC influence at all. There's a certain degree of sophistication and fondness of NYC among the people here in FFC, and I don't fit in at all. I'm just a small town Granby boy who likes nature, animals and video games. Not luxury apartments, fine dining, entertainment and sophisticated clothing.
Well then move to the gritty areas. While people in Wtby, Meriden, Naugy and Derby might love NYC, they likely don't have the time, money and resources to just go there at the drop of a hat. Spring is in the air and some nice garden festivals will be happening in Wtby and Meriden.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:24 AM

Now everyone in my office is madly obsessed with this new restaurant that opened in Greenwich called Chop't and they keep going there for lunch every damn day. And they keep saying, "yay...now we have a Chop't nearby, just like the one in the city."

Just another example of how FFC is in the shadow of FFC and how people are obsessed with "the city" and want CT to be just like the damn city. This whole county is an NYC wannabe culture. Hartford County people were nothing like that. UGH!

Anyway, I'd rather go to Fairway to get a salad, even though it's in the ghetto.

Last edited by nep321; 04-09-2015 at 11:33 AM..

Old 04-09-2015, 11:35 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,138,894 times
Quote:
Now everyone in my office is madly obsessed with this new restaurant that opened in Greenwich called Chop't and they keep going there for lunch every damn day. And they keep saying, "yay...now we have a Chop't nearby, just like the one in the city."

Just another example of how FFC is in the shadow of FFC and how people are obsessed with "the city" and want CT to be just like the damn city. This whole county is an NYC wannabe culture. Hartford County people were nothing like that. UGH!

Anyway, I'd rather go to Fairway to get a salad, even though it's in the ghetto.
Have you been to a Chop't?

Don't judge things without trying it. They make an excellent salad.

I can't imagine any reasonable person would rather go to Fairway if you try both.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Have you been to a Chop't?

Don't judge things without trying it. They make an excellent salad.

I can't imagine any reasonable person would rather go to Fairway if you try both.
Fairway salads are among the best I've ever had. They're 100% fresh, made in front of you to order and very filling. I can never finish the entire thing.

Old 04-09-2015, 05:27 PM

21,760 posts, read 28,094,478 times
Fairway in the ghetto!? In Stamford? That's not even remotely ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut