Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2016, 07:47 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
What you think of it ?
Can't remember ha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 08:17 AM

14,055 posts, read 13,937,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Can't remember ha.
I give you recap of Norwalk the city doing well but not as Stamford.

Norwalk is city in Fairfield County between Darien and Westport on the shoreline. Norwalk is showing improvements young professionals are moving in, more apartments are begin built, South Norwalk has improve but still sketchy. it seeing more economic activity than the past. The schools are not the best compare to surrounding towns.

Neighborhoods

South Norwalk- urban area of Norwalk Washington St area is gentrifying near the train station alot of bars, restaurants, young professionals, expensive apartments 1500-2,000. South of that area things get sketchy fast it not that bad but it crime area of the city.

East Norwalk- Middle Class to Upper Class section of the city nice homes and well kept lawns

Rowayton- affluent coastal shoreline village homes are 600,000-1.3 million. it like Mini Darien or Westport

West Norwalk- Nice stable community but it can be expensive.

Cranbury- Nice family like community

West Rocks- not sure

Central Norwalk- urban area that going through improvements.

Average rent in Norwalk is $1,850

Nearby Cities: Stamford 7 mins, Bridgeport 12 mins, New Haven 37 mins, NYC 40-50 mins, Waterbury 47 mins, Danbury 40 mins.

Last edited by BPt111; 02-12-2016 at 08:26 AM..

Old 02-12-2016, 08:49 AM

2,001 posts, read 1,865,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Sorry but what does Charlotte have that Connecticut cities do not? I believe you have to drive a great distance to get to "real beaches" there too. Connecticut's coastal cities like Stamford, Norwalk, Bridgeport, New Haven and New London all have their own beaches. Whether you like them or not is a personal preference but they are right there. Also in the time it takes to get to a "real beach" ( which I assume means a beach on the ocean) in North Carolina, you can easily get to beaches in Rhode Island or on Cape Cod.

Also we may not have a professional sports team in our state but we are pretty darn close to some of the best teams in the country. Much of Connecticut is within a couple hour drive of them and you have MULTIPLE choices that you do not get in Charlotte. I have told this story before but I have a friend who lives in a major city and he tells me it takes him 2 hours to get to games. Huh? He lives in a major city that has major sports franchises and it still takes 2 hours for him to get to a game? That is no different then living in Hartford and attending games in Boston really.

My point is that unless you are in a really major city living right near these things, you still have to drive. Not much difference except that you have to cross some imaginary lines. Jay
Having lived in charlotte it offers alot and all within city limits. Sports, shopping, theme park, ect. My whole point was in ct you have to drive those places. And some cities.. not all cities but alot of cities the same size and even smaller offer more within the city than ct cities with cheaper taxes of course. For example if you are in new haven. You have good resturants downtown and theres night life. East rock and west rock but outside of those things not really much.

I lived lived in charleston sc also. Smaller than hartford. Stamford and new haven but some of the best resturants in the country are there. You have a real beach. If you like to hunt its that option also so many outdoor activities and indoor for older and younger couples. Only thing missing is sports team and mountains but 2.5 hours away from both.

Sometimes one doesnt want to drive to nyc to get a real night out or to have fun outside of the norm. Thats whys alot of ct was once on the list for people moving out. Bot just only because of that but other issues also. It depends what you like. And for what i like to do wasnt there and i dont like to pay alot in taxes also because i looked into a house in houstan before and taxes on it were 3,4 thousand less that city and houstan is a major city that offers more. ..

Old 02-12-2016, 09:11 AM

If looking at a city I am looking for a place with lots of parks/open space, similiar to Central Park, running/bike paths away from the flow of traffic, also able to walk around the city feel reasonably safe have places to shop/eat, good transportation (bus/subway), culture museums/history/art/music/library/colleges, and a local running club.

Cheap rent be a plus $1,000 under and have a good hospital/healthcare job opportunities. That would never happen in a city rent being cheaper than $1K. If could live within 30 minutes from a city with rent less than $1K is realistic, but impossible to find in CT.

Last edited by RunD1987; 02-12-2016 at 09:26 AM..

Old 02-12-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
If looking at a city I am looking for a place with lots of parks/open space, similiar to Central Park, running/bike paths away from the flow of traffic, also able to walk around the city feel reasonably safe have places to shop/eat, good transportation (bus/subway), culture museums/history/art/music/library/colleges, and a local running club. Cheap rent be a plus $1,000 under and have a good hospital/healthcare job opportunities.
Not possible in CT

Old 02-12-2016, 09:22 AM

2,971 posts, read 3,180,686 times
Quote:
Not possible in CT
Not possible anywhere.
Sounds like a fairy tale. All those wonderful aspects would bring rents much higher than $1000/month.
Keep dreaming

Old 02-12-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider111 View Post
Not possible anywhere.
Sounds like a fairy tale. All those wonderful aspects would bring rents much higher than $1000/month.
Keep dreaming
under 1,000 will placed you in Bridgeport, Hartford, Waterbury, New Britain, Meriden, New London, Norwich, Fair Haven/Newhallville sections of New Haven, Bristol, and Torrington

Ansoina/Derby/Middletown is mostly 1,000-1,300 not much for under 1k

Old 02-12-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
under 1,000 will placed you in Bridgeport, Hartford, Waterbury, New Britain, Meriden, New London, Norwich, Fair Haven/Newhallville sections of New Haven, Bristol, and Torrington

Ansoina/Derby is mostly 1,000-1,200
Wouldn't mind New Britain, New Haven, Meriden, New Haven, and New London. Only issue with New Haven is parking and traffic. New Haven lacks any type of sports. It's unfortunate NH be a great place for hockey, basketball, and baseball.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Wouldn't mind New Britain, New Haven, Meriden, New Haven, and New London. Only issue with New Haven is parking and traffic. New Haven lacks any type of sports. It's unfortunate NH be a great place for hockey, basketball, and baseball.

under 1,000 in Hartford would placed you on North End, Frog Hollow which is consider danger zone Albany Ave area and East End and South End Bridgeport where crime high, full of blight.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
under 1,000 in Hartford would placed on you on North End, Frog Hollow which is consider danger zone and East End and South End Bridgeport where crime high, full of blight.
Who can afford anything over $1,000 in CT for rent ha. That's why I rent a room.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut