Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 03:53 PM

10 posts, read 8,951 times

Advertisements

Being a quiet person and a bit shy, I find it a better fit here than the Midwest. Everyone needs to find their sweet spot.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:42 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,094,986 times
To the OP. The following may best help you to understand the mindset and culture shock that you are facing.

People in CT and probably all of New England forge relationships with friends during their school years and usually hang onto these friendships throughout life. This is especially true if the people that are friends still live near one another or a reasonable commute from one another. My now late Mother when she passed away at 78 still had friends going back to grade school. I'm in my 50's now and still have friends that I made in Simsbury from the time I was 4 years old despite the fact I have not lived in the Hartford area for years and currently reside in the Cincinnati area. BTW. A much better place to live and people wise than Indianapolis. People here for the most part are OK and seem to accept my New England Yankee lifestyle and personality more so than most areas of the Midwest. Since I live on KY side which is the South, that may be the reason.

I remember making friends during my grade school and high school years in Simsbury with newcomers from places like Ohio, North Carolina, Texas, New York, Colorado, Kentucky, Vermont and Massachusetts. Also from other countries like Scotland, England, Canada and India.

People generally hang out with people that share some common hobbies and interests. Joining a club or organization in the area might help you to meet other people that share the same interests.

I did make a few a friends there after my High School years but they were few and far between. This was mostly due to the fact I was happy having a few good friends and a few more not so close friends.

You'll find people there prefer having closer friendships with long lasting time spans vs. short lived and frivolous relationships. A few good friends or even a couple is worth far more than a large number of casual or "fair weather" friends.

Give it some time. It may take a coupe of years to find a couple of people to hang out with there. But once you make a friend there it will likely be for life especially if you stay in the area.

Old 02-26-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsStillColdUpHere View Post
Being a quiet person and a bit shy, I find it a better fit here than the Midwest. Everyone needs to find their sweet spot.
People there are more accepting of a personality such as yours. I'm an introvert by nature and most of the people in the areas of the Midwest where I've lived can't deal with it. It has led to rumors being started, all of which are unfounded yet most of the general populate believe the crap because they are quite pretentious, shallow and ignorant. Minnesota was the exception. More of a Scandinavian influence there which offsets the German aspects of much of the region. People in Minnesota are more reserved like New England though they are friendly and I found I had less trouble there than most of the Midwest with the exception of one small town in western KS near Hays.

I've all but had it with the lower Midwest now. Will look to moving back to the Northeast or maybe upper Midwest if I don't stay in the Cincinnati area. So far the northern KY area where I live is not all that bad and the people are not giving much trouble at all.

Old 02-26-2017, 05:09 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumpDay View Post
While there aren't many studies to prove it, I believe people in more urban areas are ruder than people in rural areas. In general though, people in the northeast are more reserved and "to themselves" than people in other parts of the country. People around here live with the mindset where they believe, "what's the point of wasting my energy being nice to every person when I probably won't ever see them again?". The difference between here and back out west is that it's not uncommon to know your neighbor but never step in their house once.
The point of being nice to people(unless they give you a valid reason for you not to) is called having some manners and class. You aren't just nice to people you see over and over again.

Maybe this example will help. I was on a flight one time and ordered a beer, the flight attendant said "the Heineken is on me, you're only the second person who has said please and thank you".

I grew up in the northeast and live in CA. I went back to visit in 2014 to NY, NJ and CT. It's hard not to notice the rudeness. I went to small theater with my cousin in suburban NYC and people stepping over you to get in and out of their seats without and "excuse me". My cousin always trying to justify the behavior "well a lot these people have stressful jobs in Manhattan"....LOL..so what?

This thread caught my eye because I feel bad for the OP. You don't realize it if it's all you know, but you move from another part of the country or you're NE transplant who lives out of the area for a few years and goes back to visit.....it's very noticable.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:06 PM

34,946 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Funny you bring this up, I know someone who has to use a walker and they are amazed at how many people go out of their way to assist them. They say that people are always waiting to open or hold the door for them. People even will get up from their tables to open the door. And this person lives in your area. Not sure what you expect but I can see coming from the Midwest thinking people are rude since the Midwest is probably the friendiliest part of the country. Jay

Old 02-26-2017, 06:56 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,723 times
This is Connecticut, be quiet and miserable like the rest of us.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:09 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,166,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_250 View Post
This is Connecticut, be quiet and miserable like the rest of us.
Why do you people stay here if you think it sucks..I just don't get it

Old 02-26-2017, 07:11 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,491,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Why do you people stay here if you think it sucks..I just don't get it
I don't know.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:36 PM

21,628 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Funny you bring this up, I know someone who has to use a walker and they are amazed at how many people go out of their way to assist them. They say that people are always waiting to open or hold the door for them. People even will get up from their tables to open the door. And this person lives in your area. Not sure what you expect but I can see coming from the Midwest thinking people are rude since the Midwest is probably the friendiliest part of the country. Jay
I agree. The Midwest has the friendliest people I've ever come across. Even in urban areas around Chicago - people are genuinely friendly.

Old 02-26-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Not most of the cities of the lower Midwest. You will find some friendly people in the rural areas or small cities well away from the metro areas though. At least Cincinnati is not too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut