Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2018, 10:04 AM

21,626 posts, read 31,221,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
You did the right thing by moving out before this mess got worse. I'm now looking to do the same.
It was the best decision I ever made (don’t tell my wife that )

Old 11-07-2018, 10:15 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,457,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
So, Boughton?

They dug their own grave...
Yep I could have voted for Boughton. Doubt they would have lost some of those FFC suburbs with Boughton.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:17 AM

34,943 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Please stick to the topic of the OP which is the 2018 Governor's race and the election. JayCT, Moderator

Old 11-07-2018, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Seeing how close the race in CT was, a lot of Independants also felt differently than you. There just weren’t enough R voters to counter the scores of D voters in the major cities, which tips the state D every time.

What a terrible thing CT did yesterday. Not good.
Turnout was super high on both sides. If Bob had kept some more of FFC red instead of blue (they have been red before) he would have won. He was too far to the right. The GOP needs to think about opening up their primary to unaffiliated voters , might help them swing in someone like Baker, Party leadership knew it which is why they backed Boughton. But the base on the ground felt differently. Bob did as well as he did purely on the rage against Malloy, if he had been a better candidate he could have pulled it out.

On the county map those are the most populated counties so no surprise. Here is the town by town map

Those Blue spots in the bottom left bottom right and center are the population centers but you can also see how a number of middle class and wealthy suburbs went Blue.

2018 Governor's Race-gov.jpg

Old 11-07-2018, 10:28 AM

34,943 posts, read 56,970,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Mass R’s run better candidates... there’s no one to blame but the CT Republican primary voters.

I’m an Independent that will vote for the best candidate. If the Republican option was good, I would’ve voted that way. I couldn’t vote Stefanowski. No plan, no substance. A fair weather Trump supporter. I bet a lot of Independents felt the same.
Exactly. This is what I have been saying for years now. They did not learn from running Tom Foley TWICE and then to run a candidate whose entire agenda was nothing but to reduce taxes was kind of a recipe for a loss.

The closeness of the race however shows the dissatisfaction voters have with the current state government but many refuse to give up on the things that make our state great. We will not sacrifice things like quality education and social services just to save money. It is all about balance. Jay

Old 11-07-2018, 10:57 AM

377 posts, read 241,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Exactly. This is what I have been saying for years now. They did not learn from running Tom Foley TWICE and then to run a candidate whose entire agenda was nothing but to reduce taxes was kind of a recipe for a loss.

The closeness of the race however shows the dissatisfaction voters have with the current state government but many refuse to give up on the things that make our state great. We will not sacrifice things like quality education and social services just to save money. It is all about balance. Jay

The point is that Democrats were successful once again using scare tactics to win over voters, Despite their continued failures, they still get the votes when they threaten voters with cutting " quality education " and " social services" . It has nothing to do with " balance". It has everything to do with ideology and the successful strategies and tactics that Democrats use better than Republicans. The Democrats can't balance a checkbook, but have convinced voters that projecting misery is more believable than actual insolvency.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:59 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
MA has Gov Baker because he is more like a Dem than an R. If we had a more left leaning Republican to vote for, he would have won. But no, the Republican wants to harm schools and services. Things like that don't get raided in MA.

Whatever CT's problem is, it was probably done long ago and we just have to learn to live with it and hope that new administrations will gradually make it better. The difference is that whatever messed CT up didn't happen in MA. Gov Baker got a state that hadn't been robbed. He also has a state that long ago passed Prop 2 1/2 that limited property taxes. They were pro-active and somehow they didn't let crooks rob the state.

I hope we will now get tolls on the roads to capture some of the revenue that is going out of state. You wanna be like MA? MA has tolls. In-state, the tolls are cheap but out of state drivers pay a lot more. I know people seem to hate this idea but no one can come in and cut taxes. That's just a lie to get votes. One good way to not have to raise taxes is to get money from the out of staters who come cruising though CT for FREE. Let the outsiders pay toward our taxes!

Old 11-07-2018, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAE72 View Post
The point is that Democrats were successful once again using scare tactics to win over voters, Despite their continued failures, they still get the votes when they threaten voters with cutting " quality education " and " social services" . It has nothing to do with " balance". It has everything to do with ideology and the successful strategies and tactics that Democrats use better than Republicans. The Democrats can't balance a checkbook, but have convinced voters that projecting misery is more believable than actual insolvency.
Malloy tried to balance the checkbook didn't do him much good. Our current budget issues mean we are basically screwed no matter who is in power.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:11 AM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Oh--just try affording a house in MA. In the eastern part of the state, the houses go for $400,000 and up. WAY up. Around Boston, it's a million $$. People are moving out because they can no longer afford to live there.

Unless you want to live in a dump like Lawrence or Brockton. I don't know if CT even has cities that are that bad. And at this moment, the dump that is Lawrence still has no gas--so no heat or cooking for thousands of people due to pressure in a line way back in mid September. Also, the same in one or two of the ritzy surrounding towns.

Western MA is cheaper but try living in a good town in WMass and it's expensive. If you want low home prices, try New Hampshire. Then you get hit with the high property taxes like CT. Maybe go live on a mountain top in Vermont where there is nothing. Try to get a job there? No place is perfect and MA (the Boston area) is only good if you are super rich due to some special talent in some highly paid field, usually medical research. The rest of the state is more affordable but jobs are far and few between. All in all, CT is no worse than MA to live in.

Old 11-07-2018, 11:11 AM

21,626 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by East of the River View Post
Turnout was super high on both sides. If Bob had kept some more of FFC red instead of blue (they have been red before) he would have won. He was too far to the right. The GOP needs to think about opening up their primary to unaffiliated voters , might help them swing in someone like Baker, Party leadership knew it which is why they backed Boughton. But the base on the ground felt differently. Bob did as well as he did purely on the rage against Malloy, if he had been a better candidate he could have pulled it out.

On the county map those are the most populated counties so no surprise. Here is the town by town map

Those Blue spots in the bottom left bottom right and center are the population centers but you can also see how a number of middle class and wealthy suburbs went Blue.

Attachment 204585
You don’t have to be a math whiz to realize the populated liberal cities always tip the state dem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut