Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2020, 05:53 AM

833 posts, read 501,252 times

Advertisements

Oh yes, more rain. Exactly what we needed.

Old 01-30-2020, 01:59 PM

7,685 posts, read 6,198,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
New NAM and GFS stay too far out for this weekend. Its over folks. 3 days left I quit. Once again Euro beat the GFS

See you all next winter.

From all the long range forecasts I saw that cover all of February 2020 - looks like not much chances of any substantial snowfall for Southern NJ with highs from the 40's to the mid 50's or so. Things can change and or they be wrong.

Wait for March (then already Meteorological Spring) where it seems that where the colder air comes then the snowfall will melt quicker due to the sun angle.

Old 01-30-2020, 03:03 PM

4,458 posts, read 3,353,574 times
CONNECTICUT — It looks like we can put the snow shovels away, retire the winter jacket and start getting our spring attire ready soon. A winter that has been largely lackluster is expected to continue through at least the first half of February, according to a new report by the National Weather Service.
https://patch.com/connecticut/trumbu...campaign=alert

This is a question for Cambium and Solstodur since they both really understand the weather and it's patterns.

Is this warmer weather very unusual for Connecticut? I love it but I am worried this is all from Global Warming and Climate Change and it is very bad for our earth.

Old 01-30-2020, 03:54 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,148,802 times
Has it really been SO warm? I think November and December were colder than normal. And January has seemed fairly typical except for those two freakishly warm days. Overheard a woman in Dunkin Donuts talking this morning about the "mild winter" but it was 20 degrees at the time she said it.

I feel like we measure winters almost entirely by snow, but between the cold, the darkness, and the snow, I'd rank snow last among my reasons for hating winter.

Old 01-30-2020, 04:23 PM

1,888 posts, read 1,186,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post
CONNECTICUT — It looks like we can put the snow shovels away, retire the winter jacket and start getting our spring attire ready soon. A winter that has been largely lackluster is expected to continue through at least the first half of February, according to a new report by the National Weather Service.

This is a question for Cambium and Solstodur since they both really understand the weather and it's patterns.

Is this warmer weather very unusual for Connecticut? I love it but I am worried this is all from Global Warming and Climate Change and it is very bad for our earth.
Enjoy the warm winter, these warm months are just a split second in the history of earth. It's warm here and colder somewhere else more than normal....

Old 01-30-2020, 05:41 PM

11,302 posts, read 18,899,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepfordct View Post
Enjoy the warm winter, these warm months are just a split second in the history of earth. It's warm here and colder somewhere else more than normal....

It will at Central Park (with their long 150 year old record) end up at or tied for 9th warmest. But unlike some other months where at lot of the "top 10" is recent, their years are spread all over the place. For example, 3 of the warmer Januarys are in the 1930s and one is from 1913 (and if #9 doesn't end up a tie, #10 is from 1880)! And 2002 and 2006 are the only other 21st century Januarys in the top 10

But that said, the real issue is when you average out "it's warm here and colder than normal somewhere else" globally, it still comes out warmer than it's been very consistently. It's more complex than the media makes it (no the world won't end in 2030) and not simply "everything is warmer" but the science behind it isn't junk or fake either. And in places like NYC and more so places that grew rapidly in recent decades like Phoenix, growing urban heat islands are a factor, but not completely.

Old 01-30-2020, 06:45 PM

6,590 posts, read 4,980,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post

I feel like we measure winters almost entirely by snow, but between the cold, the darkness, and the snow, I'd rank snow last among my reasons for hating winter.
I don't know, there were a few winters where I really really really hated snow. Like when we got dumped on in 2011 and then had a deep freeze that lasted 6 weeks.... or the late storms that sock in the woods because it doesn't warm up......

I'm really not complaining about snow this year (and hopefully won't have a reason to by April!)

Old 01-31-2020, 05:35 AM

83,529 posts, read 75,373,979 times
I just remembered. The Polar Vortex strengthened this winter... only when it weakens and splits we get a real winter. When it stays strong over the arctic we get a warm pacific or south flow.

Dont get me wrong... it was cold yesterday and mornings but its nothing crazy.

Early spring coming??

https://twitter.com/epawawx/status/1223008760999960578

Old 01-31-2020, 05:39 AM

6,590 posts, read 4,980,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTartist View Post

I think the extreme cold and length of winter, that we've had for the last 10 years is more abnormal, but maybe it's our new norm (I hope not, I like this winter so far). I think our average snowfall prior to 2010 was 30 something inches/year? Cam said our averages are updated every 10 years and I'm betting we will have drastic changes when that happens for this past decade.

Old 01-31-2020, 07:38 AM

3,435 posts, read 3,947,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
I think the extreme cold and length of winter, that we've had for the last 10 years is more abnormal, but maybe it's our new norm (I hope not, I like this winter so far). I think our average snowfall prior to 2010 was 30 something inches/year? Cam said our averages are updated every 10 years and I'm betting we will have drastic changes when that happens for this past decade.
I tend to agree. When I was a kid growing up in the 80's and 90's, we didn't get many of those blockbuster 2 ft+ storms like we seemed to get at least once a year in the 00's and the 10's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut