Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2021, 07:59 AM

11,299 posts, read 18,895,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post

Again I agree that this is hardly "unprecedented" and yes, the 1950s had quite a few such events compared to other times (Connie, Diane, Hazel for example). I also agree as noted earlier two very big examples where the media actually does a huge disservice to the issue/problem by making last week seem a lot more "unprecedented" than it actually is (even I do not believe in 152 years of record that the most rain ever in one hour was just under 2 inches and suddenly two weeks later that record is almost doubled.....I think they didn't dig enough and simply fit their exaggerated narrative and it makes a joke of something fairly serious).

But that doesn't mean there's "nothing" to the science either. It's clear we get bigger snowstorms more often than the past (which if warming accelerated even further would become bigger winter rainstorms) as we are in a wetter atmosphere. And there is a very clear uniform and national/global rise in nighttime lows that while in part can't all be explained by growing urban heat islands (though I'll admit Phoenix's 9 degree rise in average nighttime lows in the last 50 years has to have a lot to do with their massive growth in that span as a component, but the 2 degree rise in the last 30 years in most Northeast cities not as much so). The interesting thing the media doesn't say and which still doesn't make the problem any "better" is that daytime highs have only gone up a little and to the point where it's considered statistically insignificant. In fact, NYC and most Northeast cities actually average a little less 90+ degree days per year than they did in the mid-late 20th Century.

Problem is that climate is complex and the media tries to oversimplify it in a way that leads to needless exagerration of a still troubling problem that science needs to work on so it doesn't get to the point (even if that wouldn't really be until many of us are long dead like 50-100 years from now) of having to live like cavemen to reverse if we even can by then.

Old 09-04-2021, 10:10 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,980,255 times
PA had these alerts across their highways on Tuesday. A few said "Inclement weather Tuesday PM" but all the rest said this.
Attached Thumbnails
Connecticut Weather Discussion 3-img_1896.jpg  

Old 09-04-2021, 10:18 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,221,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
PA had these alerts across their highways on Tuesday. A few said "Inclement weather Tuesday PM" but all the rest said this.
That’s a good start. But when nearly a foot of rain is forecast to occur, curfews and road closures are required the same way we do during hazardous snowstorms.

Old 09-04-2021, 10:26 AM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Again I agree that this is hardly "unprecedented" and yes, the 1950s had quite a few such events compared to other times (Connie, Diane, Hazel for example). I also agree as noted earlier two very big examples where the media actually does a huge disservice to the issue/problem by making last week seem a lot more "unprecedented" than it actually is (even I do not believe in 152 years of record that the most rain ever in one hour was just under 2 inches and suddenly two weeks later that record is almost doubled.....I think they didn't dig enough and simply fit their exaggerated narrative and it makes a joke of something fairly serious).

But that doesn't mean there's "nothing" to the science either. It's clear we get bigger snowstorms more often than the past (which if warming accelerated even further would become bigger winter rainstorms) as we are in a wetter atmosphere. And there is a very clear uniform and national/global rise in nighttime lows that while in part can't all be explained by growing urban heat islands (though I'll admit Phoenix's 9 degree rise in average nighttime lows in the last 50 years has to have a lot to do with their massive growth in that span as a component, but the 2 degree rise in the last 30 years in most Northeast cities not as much so). The interesting thing the media doesn't say and which still doesn't make the problem any "better" is that daytime highs have only gone up a little and to the point where it's considered statistically insignificant. In fact, NYC and most Northeast cities actually average a little less 90+ degree days per year than they did in the mid-late 20th Century.

Problem is that climate is complex and the media tries to oversimplify it in a way that leads to needless exagerration of a still troubling problem that science needs to work on so it doesn't get to the point (even if that wouldn't really be until many of us are long dead like 50-100 years from now) of having to live like cavemen to reverse if we even can by then.
I don't think there's any doubt as to the fact that the global temperature is warming (and therefore, yes, climate change is happening). I am a bit with Cam, however, on whether the current weather events we see are anomalous or not. I think we simply lack the perspective as a human race to assess that. Temperature data on the other hand, is real, measurable, undeniable.

Old 09-04-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That’s a good start. But when nearly a foot of rain is forecast to occur, curfews and road closures are required the same way we do during hazardous snowstorms.
Yes, I have no idea what their news was saying, I just passed through and wasn't listening to the radio. I didn't see any emergency lights on road side signs to tune in either.

But now that you mention it, when was the last time anyone saw a "highway will be closed during the storm sign" in a blizzard? Those usually come out at some point after the event has started I think.

Old 09-04-2021, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Yes, I have no idea what their news was saying, I just passed through and wasn't listening to the radio. I didn't see any emergency lights on road side signs to tune in either.

But now that you mention it, when was the last time anyone saw a "highway will be closed during the storm sign" in a blizzard? Those usually come out at some point after the event has started I think.
I don’t mean signs, I mean elected officials closing roads in general. It happens during every blizzard and I believe during the last hurricane threat a few weeks ago, CT closed the highways to certain vehicle types.

Old 09-04-2021, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I don’t mean signs, I mean elected officials closing roads in general. It happens during every blizzard and I believe during the last hurricane threat a few weeks ago, CT closed the highways to certain vehicle types.
Oops sorry, I misunderstood. I'm still not sure they do that prior? I haven't been commuting for a few years now so I'm kind of out of touch with that. I seem to think it's something that happens once they feel the plows can't keep up, unless it's a massive storm. But I could be way wrong!

Old 09-04-2021, 04:31 PM

83,527 posts, read 75,355,132 times
It rained 6.18 inches in 1 day at Bridgeport June 19, 1972. Less than 1 year before that it rained 5.95 inches. No other day has matched that yet.

In Hartford, 6.27 inches fell August 18, 1955 and the very next day another 7.70 inches fell.

In New Haven, 5.24 inches fell in 1 day on June 19, 1972.

Keep in mind, when I say "1 day" it might mean a few hours only. Would have to dig deeper and check the hourly.

Old 09-04-2021, 04:45 PM

14,022 posts, read 15,032,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post

The issue with NYC’s rainfall record is simple. It’s actually just the digital records. So it’s post 1955 or so not from like 1870 or whatever.

Old 09-04-2021, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Oops sorry, I misunderstood. I'm still not sure they do that prior? I haven't been commuting for a few years now so I'm kind of out of touch with that. I seem to think it's something that happens once they feel the plows can't keep up, unless it's a massive storm. But I could be way wrong!
Yeah, they do (usually). During a blizzard, the Governor often announces closures as of a certain time, depending on the storm. I believe they did the same with approaching hurricanes. They should be doing the same when we’re forecast to get a foot of rain, but at the very least, special announcements and alerts need to be made well in advance, and not during the storm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut