Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2021, 03:49 PM

6,901 posts, read 3,742,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocotaco76 View Post
No company wants to pay prime NYC salaries for people working and living in lower cost of living areas.
Yes they do. They've been doing it forever.

Old 12-18-2021, 04:47 PM

12 posts, read 7,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveM85 View Post
Ah, but you are referring to people actually commuting in to work by train or car. Companies didn’t care as long as the butt is in the seat. This is a whole different ball game.

Old 12-20-2021, 06:26 AM

316 posts, read 130,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Congrats. Look at it like this.. Its your house now (banks technically) but you can do whatever you want to it and make it like you want it. New cabinets, floors, ect. Don't have to do everything at once but at least you own a home now.

Thanks!! And yes, that's exactly how we're looking at it. Really, it's what we wanted, we didn't want to pay for updates that somebody else had done that we didn't love, we'd much rather do it ourselves. We're already working on the floors (carpet down for 30 years!!! ), as we're in our rental until January so might as well do them while we have another place to live!

Old 12-20-2021, 06:30 AM

512 posts, read 442,587 times
For those looking to buy in CT in 2022, things aren’t looking any better than 2021.

https://www.middletownpress.com/real...s-16714831.php

Old 12-22-2021, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
For those looking to buy in CT in 2022, things aren’t looking any better than 2021.

https://www.middletownpress.com/real...s-16714831.php
Great link. Low inventory in CT continuing into 2022 and beyond wouldn't surprise me. New arrivals aren't changing their minds yet and moving back to The Empire, The Big Apple and Jungleland. They're sticking around. More are looking to come. I and neighbors get letters from realtors representing cash buyers. The amount of homes sold over 2M is astounding. Forget Greenwich and Darien, even Stamford had over 60 solds over 2 the past year and Norwalk over 100. They replaced all the people who moved into Florida mega mansions. That's the other State only for rich people. It's unbelievable. CT is awash in money like never before. They have to open up another Rainy Day account. Middle class are forging they're way unabashed deeper into CT's more affordable regions. I'm out of Milford metaphors. I used them all up. All the immigrants found their Valhalla in CT. Hopefully they'll be able to weather the inevitable downturn, whenever it comes.

Last edited by SteveM85; 12-22-2021 at 04:37 PM..

Old 12-23-2021, 05:21 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,813,022 times
Quote:
An old friend of mine works at bloomberg. He moved from NYC To SF awhile back. Of course the housing is obviously higher but beyond that it gets cheaper in SF. I don't think the salary has dropped.

If someone proves themselves in a given role they aren't going to have a pay reduction for the heck of it. I highly doubt in the arts that would ever happen.

I can't picture some famous director telling an actor that they have to cut his pay 15% because he moved from Manhattan to Yonkers.

Read the Cluetrain Manifesto again about working and the places where work goes.

When you try to minimize your most controllable costs (i.e. labor) you MAXIMIZE your uncontrollable costs. Foreign energy prices, foreign interest rates, foreign litigation. I use this argument for manufacturing. More professional work it still depends. How many professional jobs are based on a state license? It's not like all lawyers are the same. You can't grab a divorce lawyer in Florida for a workmans comp claim in NY. Medical field the same thing. A pediatrist in AZ isn't going to be able to do GI track work in Vermont.

Lastly there's a huge difference between a supervisor saying "I can do your job" (i.e. ability) vs "I have the time and energy to do your job" (actual capacity).

Old 12-23-2021, 06:59 AM

512 posts, read 442,587 times
Quote:
Great link. Low inventory in CT continuing into 2022 and beyond wouldn't surprise me. New arrivals aren't changing their minds yet and moving back to The Empire, The Big Apple and Jungleland. They're sticking around. More are looking to come. I and neighbors get letters from realtors representing cash buyers. The amount of homes sold over 2M is astounding. Forget Greenwich and Darien, even Stamford had over 60 solds over 2 the past year and Norwalk over 100. They replaced all the people who moved into Florida mega mansions. That's the other State only for rich people. It's unbelievable. CT is awash in money like never before. They have to open up another Rainy Day account. Middle class are forging they're way unabashed deeper into CT's more affordable regions. I'm out of Milford metaphors. I used them all up. All the immigrants found their Valhalla in CT. Hopefully they'll be able to weather the inevitable downturn, whenever it comes.
Agreed. I think the exodus from NYC will continue for next couple of yrs., which will continue to affect the housing market in CT. Here’s another interesting article.

Can New York reverse its record-setting pandemic-era population drop?

“Connecticut gained a net 12,207 residents from other states after losing an average of nearly 22,000 per year from 2010 to 2020.”

https://nypost.com/2021/12/22/can-ne...pulation-drop/

I spoke with my real estate agent yesterday (who helped me get my current house) and she indicated things haven’t slowed down for her. She stated that there are even higher bidding wars than when I bought, a couple of months ago, because there is very limited inventory. So when a good house is listed for sale, people are fighting over it like crazy.

Old 12-23-2021, 09:13 AM

34,930 posts, read 56,935,296 times
Let’s stick to the topic of the OP which is the current real estate market. Some of the posts made have gone off topic. Let’s stop that so I don’t have to delete posts. JayCT, Moderator

Old 12-23-2021, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmiSky View Post
Agreed. I think the exodus from NYC will continue for next couple of yrs., which will continue to affect the housing market in CT. Here’s another interesting article.

Can New York reverse its record-setting pandemic-era population drop?

“Connecticut gained a net 12,207 residents from other states after losing an average of nearly 22,000 per year from 2010 to 2020.”

https://nypost.com/2021/12/22/can-ne...pulation-drop/

I spoke with my real estate agent yesterday (who helped me get my current house) and she indicated things haven’t slowed down for her. She stated that there are even higher bidding wars than when I bought, a couple of months ago, because there is very limited inventory. So when a good house is listed for sale, people are fighting over it like crazy.
We've come along way since the original post here. Houses weren't selling in Redding.
Wow. Look what the COVID dragged in. To CT.
So in one year CT made up for a decade of losses and netted up 12K. What a year! CT is a finalist for Comeback Player of the Year. Who could of imagined it. Even commercial. Stamford just announced 3 new companies on the way. The hits just keep coming. 7K members of the FB Leaving CT group who hesitated are now priced out of FL, a high COL state like CT. Scratch it off the list. If they wait much longer they'll be priced out of SC too.

Old 12-29-2021, 05:06 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,348,545 times
I thought I would put this in this thread. I am always saying on here I like the Norwalk/Westport/Fairfield area a lot. I say I have lot of artist & musicians friends in these towns but things like that are always subjective because there was no way for me to prove it......until now.

"Of important note, Westport is also a town of artists. Westport has more artists, designers and people working in media than 90% of the communities in America. This concentration of artists helps shape Westport’s character."
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
"Of important note, Fairfield is also a town of artists. Fairfield has more artists, designers and people working in media than 90% of the communities in America. This concentration of artists helps shape Fairfield’s character."
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
I might have to figure out way to stay in this area for retirement. Trumbull is only a short ride to these artsy towns.

Last edited by Yac; 01-04-2022 at 10:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut