Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2024, 01:58 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,635,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post

I enjoy the waves <shrug>. If there aren't waves, I may as well go to a lake
Oh me too. There are waves but just less intense and not as easy to get carried away by current.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2024, 03:18 PM

6,571 posts, read 4,964,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
There are waves on the sound. Particularly in wider sections. They just aren’t huge.

I took these photos in Milford. All it takes is a little wind.

I have not seen our state beaches fill to capacity since the height of pandemic.
Right - I like something I can ride in on a boogie board.

Here is an article on beaches being filled last year. Parking lots technically but with filled lots come lots of people. https://www.ctinsider.com/connecticu...k-18269497.php

I get it, some of you think our beaches are the best thing since sliced bread. I spent years going to them twice a week because they were so close. But that was a long time ago and now with the overcrowding I won't even attempt it - maybe a walk off season but not a true summer day activity. Not in CT

I don't go to the beach so I can trip over people and listen to their boom boxes. I never found the water very clean either (I went to Hammonasset mostly).

Last beach I went to, there wasn't a person in sight. Just me and the waves. It was wonderful. And not in CT

Old 03-29-2024, 03:30 PM

21,722 posts, read 28,055,508 times
Quote:
Right - I like something I can ride in on a boogie board.

Here is an article on beaches being filled last year. Parking lots technically but with filled lots come lots of people. https://www.ctinsider.com/connecticu...k-18269497.php

I get it, some of you think our beaches are the best thing since sliced bread. I spent years going to them twice a week because they were so close. But that was a long time ago and now with the overcrowding I won't even attempt it - maybe a walk off season but not a true summer day activity. Not in CT

I don't go to the beach so I can trip over people and listen to their boom boxes. I never found the water very clean either (I went to Hammonasset mostly). Many other state parks are similar and we avoid those too (Jones Beach, Misquamicut, etc)

Last beach I went to, there wasn't a person in sight. Just me and the waves. It was wonderful. And not in CT
Most of the time we're at the beach there's barely any other people. The key is to not go to a state park beach on a weekend in summer.

Old 03-29-2024, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Most of the time we're at the beach there's barely any other people. The key is to not go to a state park beach on a weekend in summer.
Sometimes people only have the weekends. It's certainly not my preference, but there's that work thing.

Maybe you can suggest a beach that's more quiet?

Old 03-29-2024, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Sometimes people only have the weekends. It's certainly not my preference, but there's that work thing.

Madison Surf Club in Madison, Jacob's Beach in Guilford, Woodmont Beach in Milford, Audubon in Milford. They tend to be a lot quieter in my experience or at least less crowded.

Maybe DuBois Beach in Stonington? Stylo, you've likely been more than me.

Old 03-29-2024, 06:41 PM

Quote:

Every town beach in Milford other than Walnut is pretty tame.

We tend to not bother with other beaches too much.

Old 03-29-2024, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Every town beach in Milford other than Walnut is pretty tame.

We tend to not bother with other beaches too much.
Speaking of Milford Beaches, is Wildemere Beach public or private? I’ve been around many times but I’m not quite sure. Honestly I kind of snuck on there a few times just to explore in the past! Nobody said anything to me, so maybe it’s public or part of it might be?

Old 03-29-2024, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Madison Surf Club in Madison, Jacob's Beach in Guilford, Woodmont Beach in Milford, Audubon in Milford. They tend to be a lot quieter in my experience or at least less crowded.

Maybe DuBois Beach in Stonington? Stylo, you've likely been more than me.
Thanks! I wouldn't go any further west than Madison. And honestly, we've gone out to eat at a number of the clam/lobster shacks along the shore, even further east and it's just not that spectacular. The Sound is not comparable to the open ocean. Sorry!

I went to Charles Island a few years ago, tide wasn't right to walk out there though. I wouldn't mind checking out the Audubon in Milford sometime, they apparently get some unique birds there.

Old 03-29-2024, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny K View Post
Speaking of Milford Beaches, is Wildemere Beach public or private? I’ve been around many times but I’m not quite sure. Honestly I kind of snuck on there a few times just to explore in the past! Nobody said anything to me, so maybe it’s public or part of it might be?
Pretty sure it’s public. There’s just no parking lot obviously.

Old 03-30-2024, 02:39 AM

6,878 posts, read 3,729,789 times
Eastern CT is probably more beach going focused hence crowds.
Western CT beaches are sparse throughout summer and weekends. You clearly see this from the water looking in. You get a birdseye view as you sail along. Western CT is more aquatic sports and nautical activity focused like sailing, fishing, boarding, windsurfing, jet skis, rowing clubs and teams out of harbors, towing inflatables, even water skiing during rare calmer days. People can afford more toys around here.
Even the state beach in Westport is sparsely crowded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut