Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 01:31 PM

3 posts, read 51,995 times

Advertisements

I purchased my Mitsubishi WD-65736 in Dec 2008. The first white spots appeared a few months ago. Now there are over 100 white spots, and a bunch of black spots too. I have learned that these spots are caused by the tiny mirrors on the DLP chip getting stuck in the open or closed position. I have been workign with Mitsubish customer service, and I just paid $100 to have a certified technician come out and look at it, even though I already knew that it needs either a DLP chip or the whole light engine replaced. Mitsubishi's authorized technician has quoted $1,000 for parts and labor! I too will be part of the class action unless Mitsubishi covers all parts and labor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 45,042 times
Angry White spots

I am also experiencing white spots on my 73" Mitsubishi WD-73833. They just started and I turned to the web to find out more information and I have found hundreds of complaints on several forums addressing this topic. I am also interested in joining a class action law suit. I have owned Mitsubishi tv's for 30 years, but it looks like this may be the last one.

mike
San Diego

Old 01-03-2012, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 22,651 times
Has anyone been able to resolve the white spot issue with Mitsubishi?

Old 01-03-2012, 01:22 PM

7 posts, read 96,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andwhth View Post
Has anyone been able to resolve the white spot issue with Mitsubishi?
No.....not me. I tried but got real mad when the Customer Service Rep told me that Mits wasn't aware of a 'white spot problem' with their DLP tv's. I kind of lost it with the guy at this point.

Wonder if there is a market for a 62" DLP door stop/paper weight display of the Universe?

Old 01-03-2012, 01:29 PM

119 posts, read 293,059 times
That's what they told us "This is the first we have heard of this problem" when we called. We decided the easiest way to deal with this problem was to just bite the bullet and buy another tv at full retail price. I will say we havent had any more trouble out of the new set ............yet

Old 01-17-2012, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 22,485 times
i have the same problems with my 65 inch tv. does anyone have a lawsuit againg mitsubishi cause they just dont want to fix the problem or say they dont know. what a bunch of liars.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:44 AM

3 posts, read 51,995 times
Default Mitsubishi white spots

Hey eveybody,
Mitsubishi is VERY aware of the problem, and the WILL fix it if you are persistent. First a description of the problem - Many of the DLP chips that were manufactured 3-4 years ago are failing (a product defect). Basically, the DLP chip is a computer chip that contains a couple million tiny mirrors on it that move between open and closed positions to reflect white, black, or any color in beteeen onto your screen. The white and black spots on your screen means that the mirrors have stuck in the fully open or closed position. Once the mirrors start sticking, they will ALL eventually stick due to a product defect. They are supposed to work longer than 3-4 years. The newer chips, and the replacements chips, supposedly don't have this problem and should last longer. The remedy is to replace the DLP chip, or replace the whole circuit board (called a "light engine") that the DLP is plugged into. The DLP chip is a couple hundred bucks, while the whole light engine is more like $600 -- HOWEVER, you will not have to pay for this if you take the following steps:
1) Call Mitsibishi Consumer Relations: 1-800-332-2119
2) Explain that your TV has one of the "defective" DLP chip, be polite, yet assertive. You'll need to provide your model number, serial number, and proof of purchase (you'll have to fax the receipt of purchase...if you don't have it you'll need to call the vendor you purchased it from to get a copy).
3) Explain to Consumer Relations that you participate in numerous online forums, and you are aware of a possible class action lawsuit due to these "defective DLP chips". You would like to resolve this now, rather than participating in a class action. Let them know that you are aware that Mitsubishi has been good about replacing these chips for other people - even though the units are out of warranty, this is widely known to be a "product defect". If the consumer relations representative is not helpful (they should be very helpful at this point), then ask to speak to the director of the department (I didn't have to do this). The representative will create a "Case ID #" for you. Write it down.
4) Consumer Relations has procedures you must follow -- they will require you to contact one of their authorized repair technicians to come diagnose your TV and send in a problem report. Yes, the technician must come out (or you take the TV to him) even though you already know what the problem is. There were two authorized repair technicians in my area, I chose the one with the lowest trip charge. You'll have to pay for the initial trip charge yourself. Just do it (you'll get reimbursed later). The technician will come out, turn on your TV, & take a photo of it, record theserial number, then he'll send his repair estimate to Mitsubishi. Make sure he knows your Case ID and includes it on the report. He should send the estimate to Mitsubishi the same day. You'll call Mitsubishi 1-2 days later to confirm they received everything and discuss next steps.
4) When Mitsubish receives the estimate confirming that it is indeed the DLP chip (we already knew that), they will then "send it to review" to approve the cost of the repair. I was told to call back a few days later, but it took them nearly 2 weeks to cycle through the approval process. Again, be persitent but polite.
5) Once approved, you'll receive a call back from someone who will likely offer to pay for the cost of the part only. This is only their initial offer, so be prepared to negotiate! Explain to him that you are aware (through the online forums) that Mitsubishi regularly pays for some or all of the repair cost. The person I was dealing with immediately offered to also pay for 1/2 of all the other expenses. In my case, the labor ($300), initial trip charge ($50), and tax ($90), meant I was out just $214. I accepted this offer because I thought it was fair, although I expect they may have paid 100% if I was persistent (I saw another online post for whom they paid 100%).
6) Once approved, they will notify your technician, who will order the part, get it in 3-5 days, then come install it. Installation took only 30-45 minutes. If your technician's original quote is more than $200-$300 labor, he is quoting way too much for a 30-45 minute job, call him on it and get him to lower his price ($250 is the customary amount from what I've seen).

The whole process from initial contact to repair completion took 3-4 weeks. I now have a TV that looks like new, and I am very pleased. Much better than having to buy a new TV. I hope this help you. Good luck!

Last edited by Greg_Texas; 01-19-2012 at 08:50 AM.. Reason: corrected grammar

Old 01-25-2012, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 45,042 times
Default Misubishi DLP spots

I have good news to report about getting my DLP replaced by Mitsubishi. Our TV is a 73" and is out of warranty. I called the Mitsubishi service number and spoke with a knowledgeable tech who was fully aware of the ongoing DLP problems. I gave him the model and serial numbers and after some waiting on the phone he was able to obtain a repair authorization through a local shop (Captain Video in Escondido, CA). The process went fairly smoothly and my net cost will be $200, which is fair to me considering the TV is out of warranty. The only drawback is that there have been so many DLP failures, the part is now on back order. I contacted the shop and confirmed that Mitsubishi authorized the repair and they should have the part in a week or two. Additionally, they will not need to come to our home to make an initial examination of the problem. When they get the part, they will call us and set an appointment to repair the TV. So far, everything is proceeding well.
Mike in Escondido, CA

Old 02-02-2012, 09:23 AM

1 posts, read 22,282 times
I have a 3.5 yr old 73 in Mitsubishi DLP that the whole picture tube is now covered in white dots. I would be interested in any class action. What is the latest on this?

Old 02-02-2012, 04:35 PM

1 posts, read 22,278 times
My Mitsubishi 65" 1080 HD tv is 4 years old and I had one spot the other day, now there are 3 spots. From the looks of the online posts, I will be expecting the solar system on my tv soon. I would be very interested in participating in a class action suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Consumer Electronics