Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2008, 10:36 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times

Advertisements

i am well aware of that .... but they are taking stats from st. louis city ONLY .... and there is NO DOUBT in my mind that those are accurate....particularly for areas on the north side of the CITY...... it does not describe much of st. louis county and the rest of the metro area...... most of which still carry a st. louis, missouri mailing address......

st. louis city is like the hole surrounded by the donut of st. louis county.... and as much as i love the CITY.... there are definitely areas that i would not even consider living in and if i must work in them during the day, then i am always with at least my partner and if possible, several other people around.

i guess one of the points i was trying to make is that these stats do NOT tell the whole story about st. louis, just as the stats that johnbain keeps flinging around do not tell the whole story about corpus....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2008, 08:10 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,482,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoniancityfanatic View Post
How can you defend Corpus Christi if you haven't even lived in the area. We will value your opinion once you have actually experienced the city. We are just trying to give you advice about Corpus Christi since we have actually been there. Maybe this advice will help you so you don't become a victim of violence.
Well when certain people on here are just bashing the area, my normal response is to defend it even though I haven't lived there. I am in Corpus this weekend and so far have liked everything. People have been very friendly, helpful, and I haven't feeled threatened regarding violence yet. I think this site is informative, with the exception of the person that keeps stating all the so-called statistics regarding crime etc.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by escantrell View Post
Good luck chickrae! I'll look forward to having another Oklahoma Girl down here!
Well I have only been in Oklahoma 7 months, I am really a Utah girl but hope Utahns are welcome too.

Old 05-24-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Your lies are the things like, Oh Corpus is the worst, and Oh Corpus is so corrupt and horrible.

Its just like any other major city in the US. No different.

If you want bad, check out Flint, Michigan. Crime rate of over 1,000 and 50-80 murders a year. Its not even half the size of Corpus!

And you try making Corpus sound bad.

Oh and another city. St. Louis, Missouri. It has only about 50,000 more people than Corpus and there are as many murders a year there as San Antonio. The crime rate is over 1,000 there as well.

So Corpus cant be anywhere as bad as you try to make it out as.
I think Johnbain maybe had a bad experience here so that is why he is finding all he can that is wrong with the area, but he is not posting again he said. I am here right now visiting and I like it. Of course I am not a resident yet, so we shall see

Old 05-24-2008, 11:06 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
I think Johnbain maybe had a bad experience here so that is why he is finding all he can that is wrong with the area, but he is not posting again he said. I am here right now visiting and I like it. Of course I am not a resident yet, so we shall see
A trip report would be nice. There was a gent from the Pacific Northwest who started a thread and reported almost daily. He posted his likes and dislikes of several areas in Tx. and it was very interesting. Maybe you'd be willing to do that for those of us who've never been there?

Old 05-25-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
A trip report would be nice. There was a gent from the Pacific Northwest who started a thread and reported almost daily. He posted his likes and dislikes of several areas in Tx. and it was very interesting. Maybe you'd be willing to do that for those of us who've never been there?
I am on day 4 of my 5 day visit and we have been staying in Aransas Pass and seeing homes in Corpus Christi, Ingleside, Aransas Pass and Portland. I am no expert because it's my first visit but I have found the 24 homes we looked at all to be in nice neighborhoods with the exception of one that was in Corpus Christi. All the ones in Ingleside were very nice. One of the homes in Ingleside which we really liked had a renter in it for two years. We talked to her and she loved the area and never had a problem with crime. My experience thus far has been great.
Last night we took the ferry over to Port Aransas. It was pretty busy being the holiday weekend and all, lots of famalies and kids on the beach there. They seemed to be having fun, bonfires, camping etc. I thought the beach was nice there. A little seaweed but the water was pretty.

Today we are going to the north beach and to some of the shops there. I will see how we like it.

So far I have loved the area. I would retire here. The naval base is closing in 2009 so I think we will wait a little while to buy our rental house. As I said on another thread we are moving in 3 years when my husband retires and I think this could be the place.

Old 05-25-2008, 11:08 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
It's great to hear that you like the area and thank you for the info.

Old 05-26-2008, 10:42 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,027,284 times
is the corpus area doing anything in preparation for losing the naval base??

imagine that could be a pretty significant economic blow to the area.....

Old 05-26-2008, 10:53 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
is the corpus area doing anything in preparation for losing the naval base??

imagine that could be a pretty significant economic blow to the area.....
Corpus is not loosing a Naval base. Ingleside is. Corpus is keeping its Army/Navy Depot. And I am told there is another base in the area too.. I dont know where but it is also not going away. I have heard that Ingleside is gaining the base free of charge and they plan to use it to bring cruise ships as well as a dock side market tourist attraction.. like theme park thing. Only thing I can compair it too is this: The Wharf (http://www.thewharfal.com/ - broken link)

Old 05-26-2008, 12:52 PM

378 posts, read 1,442,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabetx View Post
Ok, finally you provide some proof. Now I can say I can believe you about the violent crimes. Other than that though, you really do say pretty much lies.

Still the city is a safer city than what you try to make it out to be. Compare it to other major cities such as Houston, Dallas, Chicago, St. Louis, Detroit, Pittsburg (which only has about 30,000 more residents than Corpus), and most other major cities. Then the story is different.

Corpus is like any city though, stay out of the northside and parts of westside and the city is pretty much safe.

You are trying to make it out to be as if Corpus was worse than St. Louis or Detroit! Its nowhere near as bad as those cities.
Corpus isn't a really bad city but you can't compare a city with 200K and metro 400K. To a city like ST. Louis 350K and metro 2.8 mil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi