Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2017, 07:41 PM

4 posts, read 11,347 times

Advertisements

Woolco was the name of the discount store that is now Sutherland's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elgatto View Post
Does anyone remember a store called 'Elysian Fields'? I think it was a head shop. I seem to remember seeing Big Bambu for sale there in 1973 and asking my Mom what it was (didn't get an honest answer).
If you do remember the above store, can you tell me where in CC it was located at? This is driving me crazy! Thanks
Elysian Fields was next door to Mr. Abbey's Bake Shop on Baldwin before you get to the Crosstown. You're right it was a head shop.

Old 01-22-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter5150 View Post
There WAS a Whataburger in Sunrise Mall, if I can remember it was on the same wing as Chelsae's Street Pub
Absolutely there was a Whataburger at Sunrise Mall and you're right about the location.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:58 PM

51 posts, read 66,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I was a customer at that Taco Bell the weekend they opened. All items were 25 cents , this wasn't an "opening special", it was the standard price. The menu was pretty small.

Drink (only one size available)
Taco (hard shell beef)
Burrito (bean cheese)
Beans/cheese (cup)
Bell Burger (my favorite, I still miss it to this day)

You could fill up on a dollar.
I remember getting loaded into the car with some neighborhood kids going to Taco Bell the first week it opened in CC. My Mom and our neighbor lady bought an assortment of items so we could all check it out. Mixed reviews since it was not as traditional as the homemade Mexican food we grew up on, and I thought it was kind of bland. I thought they also had tosdadas too, but maybe that came later on. We didn't frequent it very often, Whataburger was the favorite "fast food" in those days and remember they sold wax paper bags with jalapenos in them by the cash registers?

Old 02-06-2017, 07:15 PM

51 posts, read 66,469 times
I had a big flash back to CC today when I passed a new convenience store which was called Maverick. Remember the Maverick Market chain of stores? It gets even stranger... I recalled the owners name, Erich Wendl... it must have been on advertising or those coupons they handed out for free ICEE's, so I did an internet search and discovered he passed away 4 or 5 years ago. We would collect returnable bottles and use that with some left-over lunch money to buy a Coke or an ICEE after school. I had forgotten about the cowboy on the sign until I found this picture.

Old 02-20-2017, 07:36 AM

2 posts, read 5,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheatpenny View Post
I thought that Kaleidoscope was located in Town & Country Center?, 1970ish.
There was a Kaleidoscope in Town and Country in the 70s. HEB was the westernmost store in the shopping center before that, then they added some stores between HEB and Everhart around '72-'73. Kaleidoscope was one of them and they had a blacklight room, as another poster mentioned. The place also had a good smell and they sold Hang Ten shirts - they were EXPENSIVE, like $18 or something - lol. My mom bought me 2 or 3 of them as back-to-school shirts one year.

Other interesting stores there: Hobby Lobby, Tape Town (a record store), Baskin Robbins, the restaurant of course, the Fox Photo drive through kiosk. We lived in the Town and Country Apartments behind the Taco Bell on Alameda that others have mentioned and would ride my bike from there through the Buccaneer Bowl parking lot to the T&C shopping center.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:36 AM

2 posts, read 5,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
I don't think of Corpus Christi as being a hotbed of news personalities, but am surprised at how long the current batch have remained here. Joe Gazin, Lee Sausley, Joe Trevino, have been here at least since the 80s. It's pretty remarkable to me that they would stay in corpus for so long.
Who could forget Charlie St. John, the weatherman on Channel 3 in the 70s?

Old 03-04-2017, 02:38 AM

3 posts, read 8,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres View Post
Does anyone remember the name of the water park in CC? If I remember correctly it was right next door to a Maverick Market.
Aqua throwaway 7

Old 03-04-2017, 02:41 AM

Who has pics of the fiberglass dinosaurs and where were they located in the late 70's early 80s please tell me that there was a big green trex

Old 03-04-2017, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres View Post
Does anyone remember the name of the water park in CC? If I remember correctly it was right next door to a Maverick Market.
Aqua throwaway 7
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi