Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Maj. Nidal be executed, or serve a life term with no chance of parole?
Execute him 29 72.50%
Life sentence with no parole 10 25.00%
Not sure 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 05:45 AM

13,753 posts, read 13,402,699 times

Advertisements

Hello... NUTJOB is accurate. You don't even know what his job was in A'stan. There's not a lot of killing going on by our troops at the moment. I was in Kuwait 6 months at Camp Cupcake, working facilities. When I got back, I had the opportunity to claim PTSD and get a percentage of disability. Did I? no. Did lots of my coworkers. YOU BET! It was Memphis! Free money! Take it!

Those PTSD numbers are skewed IMO.

Here's the real problem: Taking people into the military who aren't mentally stable enough to handle the pressures it requires. Also we have leaders who are committing mental torture for fun of weaker troops. Some are being pushed over the edge by our own military... as sport...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 07:14 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,429,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Hello... NUTJOB is accurate. You don't even know what his job was in A'stan. There's not a lot of killing going on by our troops at the moment. I was in Kuwait 6 months at Camp Cupcake, working facilities. When I got back, I had the opportunity to claim PTSD and get a percentage of disability. Did I? no. Did lots of my coworkers. YOU BET! It was Memphis! Free money! Take it!

Here's the real problem: Taking people into the military who aren't mentally stable enough to handle the pressures it requires. Also we have leaders who are committing mental torture for fun of weaker troops. Some are being pushed over the edge by our own military... as sport...
Don't be too quick to judge this shooter. Although I appreciate your service, you being in Kuwait doesn't put you in his shoes. It looks like none of us will ever know what was really going on in his head. It's a sad situation that the military and the Veterans Administration and the public really needs to get a grip on.
As Forrest Gump would say....."That's all I have to say about that".

Old 04-03-2014, 07:22 AM

155 posts, read 212,108 times
Sad!
Not to sound naive, but why is there so much gun violence in America? We are probably the only western nation that doesn't introspect hard enough.

Old 04-03-2014, 07:25 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,790,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post

No. HERE is the real problem. Fighting stupid wars that have no real point. Why in the heck are we sending tens of thousands of our soldiers over into a third-world wasteland just to prevent Islamic fundamentalist nutcases from committing acts of terrorism against our country? HEL-LOOOOO!!! How about we keep our people HERE, so that they're far less likely to be blown away or subjected to PTSD-inducing scenarios, and focus on fortifying our own borders so that these wackos can't get close enough to America to commit any such acts?

I don't give a flying donut about whether or not such would involve "racial profiling" or intrusion into the privacy of foreigners. Ask the spouses of the four dead soldiers from yesterday's Fort Hood massacre, and the spouses of the 13 dead soldiers from the 11/5/09 Fort Hood massacre, and the spouses of the thousands of dead soldiers from this interminable "war on terror", whether or not they'd have preferred profiling / protectionism at home as opposed to "taking the war to their home turf" by sending the soldiers out to the Middle Eastern desert to be killed... let's see what THEY say.

I lived in Killeen from 2008 to 2013. For those of you who are unaware, that is the main feeder city for Fort Hood. I remember where I was on 11/5/09. I encountered hundreds of soldiers in my line of work down there and there wasn't a one of them who truly felt that this "war on terror", the way it was being executed, was the right thing to do. At least, if there were such people, none of them ever told me that. To them, their deployments were merely what they had to do. They were soldiers, and being soldiers was their job. They were to follow orders and if they got orders to deploy, they deployed. They were "meh" about their deployments. None of them actually WANTED to deploy to fight this war... they did it because it was their job. I never asked any of them to violate their military integrity by volunteering their personal opinions about whether or not they thought the war was being handled properly by the higher-ups, but the consensus of opinion was obvious.

We need to keep out the people who hail from hotbeds of terrorism, until they fix the problem in their home land. I am not opposed to immigration - I myself am only 2-3 generations removed from immigrants - but my ancestors, when they immigrated to America, immediately set out to live as Americans. They got jobs, their names got Anglicized, they learned English, and they became Americans. More and more these days, immigrants are coming to America to change and/or destroy America from the inside, and we have to put a stop to that. The simplest and most cost-effective way to do that is not a 13-year war halfway around the world - it is ethnic profiling. I'm sorry if you don't like that idea but which do you prefer - ethnic profiling, or interminable wars that result in thousands of our own people dying either on the battlefield or on their own home turf due to aftereffects of the war?

Old 04-03-2014, 08:05 AM

21,295 posts, read 19,916,664 times
Why is a person with mental illness allowed to continue to serve? Would it be acceptable for them to be sent into war with mental illness? (Presuming that all those in the military should be battle-ready.)

Why aren't soldiers able to carry firearms on base? If we don't trust them in a peacetime military base, how would we trust them in a conflict zone? Seem to me that soldiers should be required to carry arms at all times. If they are not mentally able, they should not be in the military.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:09 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,571,063 times
Sad to hear - as a former health care provider for the Army, I always was concerned that someone would fall through the cracks in the mental health care system - unfortunately, we'll likely see more of this after a decade of fighting in two combat zones, the OPTEMPO of combat units and frequent movement of soldiers between units - with all the medical and mental issues the resources aren't enough to adequately care for these Soldiers.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:10 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,571,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creature of the Wheel View Post
Say "hello" to the Clinton era military base gun ban. That is why crap like this happens more often.

Unrelated to guns, when I was stationed at Lackland AFB in 2001, a mail bomb went off. The recipient of it lost her hand and some fingers on the other. She also had shrapnel damage to other parts of her body.
Gun ban likely has prevented a lot of these incidents when people lose control, anger take over - and the consequence are what we saw yesterday. I totally disagree with your post.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:35 AM

185 posts, read 243,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimusPilus View Post
Sad!
Not to sound naive, but why is there so much gun violence in America? We are probably the only western nation that doesn't introspect hard enough.
It's much easier for us to shuffle to different sides of the room and then violently finger point at the other side rather than address any real, glaring issues we might have in this country. For some reason this is especially true when it comes to mental health.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:12 AM

48,493 posts, read 97,077,699 times
Really its not just gun violence. Especially when we look at many institutions from schools to government.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:21 AM

25,831 posts, read 20,770,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TennValleyDuuude View Post
It's much easier for us to shuffle to different sides of the room and then violently finger point at the other side rather than address any real, glaring issues we might have in this country. For some reason this is especially true when it comes to mental health.
Isn't that the truth.

So sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events