Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Maj. Nidal be executed, or serve a life term with no chance of parole?
Execute him 29 72.50%
Life sentence with no parole 10 25.00%
Not sure 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 04:09 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,867,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojj View Post
Our veterans deserve so much better. How many vets have been cashiered from the armed services after going to war and coming back with PTSD - because of "mental health issues" that they actually got while fighting for this country?

More than 31,000 since 2008.
Exactly. I remember my grandmother's neighbor coming back from Vietnam. He moved back in with his parents after serving. The guy would sit on the front lawn every day talking to non-existent people. Even as a kid, I knew something was wrong with how soldiers were treated when they came back home.

I've met people impacted by the more current wars as well and it's all the same story - they get "thrown away" and sometimes have to even fight for treatment. It's just wrong on so many levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 08:26 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,332,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
No. HERE is the real problem. Fighting stupid wars that have no real point.
I don't disagree with your opinion. But you have to understand. Marine drill instructors are not allowed to even let the brim of their Smokey Bear hat touch a recruit. In the early 80's a fellow Marine had a hole in his utility uniform where a DI stabbed him with a pair of scissors. (they liked him) See the difference? Did 'Nam vets come back and shoot the place up? If ever a group had a reason to be pissed it was the 'Nam vets. Boot camp was designed to weed out the weak - and to tear down an individual and build him back as a fighting machine. It's not like that anymore and these guys aren't prepared for war AT ALL. What you went through in Marine basic prepared you for the worst that could happen to you = being captured. We've got some good soldiers out there, no doubt. Maybe they were just born with it.

Have you seen the weight issues in our military? Disgusting. The enemy must be enjoying that.

I'd like to know the statistics of the military men and women who enjoy being deployed for whatever reason, money, camaraderie, excitement, being part of something bigger than themselves. I know a lot who volunteered for 2nd, 3rd, 4th tours. So the whole idea that we're shipping our kids over.... I'd say most of them want to go. Can they handle it? Not all. People have been shipped to the DMZ in Korea forever... And the Antarctic... There are other bad places to be besides the middle east. There's not a lot of killing going on over there now.

Those people should have never been inducted.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
someone under the care of mental health professionals and up for PTSD evaluation was able to buy a gun. Why is that so?
You can't very well publicize a person's medical issues.

Again, 30,000 PTSD cases since 2008? Give me a break. It would be 30,001 if I'd been willing to take the taxpayer's money they offered me for just having been over there.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:49 PM

I just saw he was in Iraq for 4 months. That's all. He recently lost his mom (I think they said November) and hasn't been the same since. He enlisted in Puerto Rico. Very sad.

Old 04-04-2014, 02:12 AM

10,864 posts, read 17,000,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRBXGOLD View Post
But it isn't ONE terrorist attack, or ONE nut job, its plenty, and even more dead. The earth didn't spring into existence yesterday.
No, it was 6,000 years ago. Everyone knows that.

This is the new normal. Mass shootings every few months. We have been at war for so long, with so many people affected by the horrors of war, that this will play out over and over for the next generation. The only significant difference between all these shootings we're going to have is the body count. Nothing else will change.

We may as well change our national anthem to "I Don't Like Mondays" by the Boomtown Rats. Because nothing will be done about this, ever. We will just have to learn to accept mass shootings every three months. I'm sure the rabid-pro-gun crowd is overjoyed about this -- they have every justification they want for open carrying a minigun and a grenade launcher. It makes the neighborhood safer, of course.

Old 04-04-2014, 04:39 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,867,025 times
An article on MSN details the requirements regarding firearms for soldiers that live on the base and those that don't live there. This one, in particular, is interesting.

Quote:
Commanders can ask a soldier who lives off-post to turn over their weapons if they believe the person is at risk of suicide or harming others. Additionally, the soldier in those situations could be ordered to move back onto the base.
While I understand they can't disclose patient's medical history, it would seem that being evaluated for PTSD and the loss of his mother recently are both indicators that he was under quite a bit of stress. Granted, there was no way to predict this particular soldier would go on a shooting spree, but maybe this is enough reason for them to reevaluate the guidelines.

Source: NBC News - Breaking News & Top Stories - Latest World, US & Local News

Old 04-04-2014, 04:54 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,418,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Boot camp was designed to weed out the weak - and to tear down an individual and build him back as a fighting machine. It's not like that anymore and these guys aren't prepared for war AT ALL. .
I agree, I was in Marine Corps boot camp at Parris Island, South Carolina in 1964. We started out with about 85 recruits and ended training 12 weeks later with about 65. For one reason or another the 20 or so were deemed unfit. By the way, the drill instructors had no problem letting the brim of their hats, and their fists, touching us.

Old 04-04-2014, 05:35 AM

3,930 posts, read 6,448,976 times
Now disclosed that shooter was taking Ambien. That stuff has a history of really messing up people.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd07 View Post
An article on MSN details the requirements regarding firearms for soldiers that live on the base and those that don't live there. This one, in particular, is interesting.

While I understand they can't disclose patient's medical history, it would seem that being evaluated for PTSD and the loss of his mother recently are both indicators that he was under quite a bit of stress. Granted, there was no way to predict this particular soldier would go on a shooting spree, but maybe this is enough reason for them to reevaluate the guidelines.

Source: NBC News - Breaking News & Top Stories - Latest World, US & Local News
Sounds like a good idea. Commanders should do a better job, then. We had a guy in a group going through the airport to fly off to a technical school. He brought a loaded weapon (post-911) to the airport. Our commander bailed him out of trouble, took responsibility and the guy didn't get in any trouble. No one was happy about it. We all thought he should've lost his job. We were all federal/military dual status employees.

Old 04-04-2014, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
I agree, I was in Marine Corps boot camp at Parris Island, South Carolina in 1964. We started out with about 85 recruits and ended training 12 weeks later with about 65. For one reason or another the 20 or so were deemed unfit. By the way, the drill instructors had no problem letting the brim of their hats, and their fists, touching us.
Semper Fi, Devil Dog! That's what I'm talkin' about right there!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events