Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2014, 08:20 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,461,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It was, but what she had was not "routine." It was a complex operation.
This is true, per a Wikipedia article.

Quote:
According to court documents, McMath was admitted to Children's Hospital Oakland on December 9, 2013 to perform an adenotonsillectomy, uvulopalatopharyngoplasty and submucous resection of bilateral inferior turbinates. It was hoped these procedures would provide improved airflow during her sleep at night. The family described the surgery as a routine tonsillectomy, while the hospital described the procedure as complicated in court documents.
I am not a physcian, but "... an adenotonsillectomy, uvulopalatopharyngoplasty and submucous resection of bilateral inferior turbinates" seems to be pretty complex.

According to a Neurologist's opinion that was submitted to the Court today, there is still no clear evidence of life. The hearing that was scheduled for tomorrow has been postponed, but in the end, I seriously doubt the Court will declare her to be resurrected.

Last edited by ToucheGA; 10-08-2014 at 08:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 09:17 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
I watched the video and all I saw a twitch. I think the family feels a lot of guilt for feeding her in the recovery room which could be what triggered the bleeding. Also if they had managed her weight better she wouldn't have needed the surgery but at some point they have to let her go.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:23 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
I found this article very interesting and recommend reading the entire thing but 2 points worth noting:

1) What Jahi is receiving now is organ support, not life support.

2) What is brain death? It means no function at the level of the brain stem or above. The spinal cord is still capable of reflexes as shown in the video. These are not proof of brain activity.

Analyzing the Jahi McMath case

Last edited by Zimbochick; 10-08-2014 at 09:48 PM..

Old 10-08-2014, 09:33 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,250,908 times
Thanks, Zimbo. The essay says it well.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:39 PM

1,265 posts, read 3,461,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I found this article very interesting, I recommend reading the entire thing, but 2 points worth noting:

2) What is brain death? It means no function at the level of the brain stem or above. The spinal cord is still capable of reflexes as shown in the video. These are not proof of brain activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Thanks, Zimbo. The essay says it well.
Indeed! A very concise, and accurate description.

Old 10-09-2014, 05:21 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,663,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I found this article very interesting and recommend reading the entire thing but 2 points worth noting:

Excellent article, thank you for recommending. I don't work in the medical field so I learned a lot. Does anyone know if she is declared alive if Medicaid will automatically start picking up the cost of her care? has the family exhausted their insurance? How much will her long term care cost? Will she be in a hospital or more like a nursing home situation?

Old 10-09-2014, 02:43 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,596,420 times
All 3rd party payments stopped when she was declared dead. Her care is being funded through donations which seem to be running out.

Old 10-11-2014, 12:55 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,298,788 times
I read on another forum that the other children are being taken care of by relatives. Makes you wonder what they think about this whole ordeal.

The mother posted Instagram pictures of Jahi's $240 a week vitamin upkeep.

Last edited by Glitterific; 10-11-2014 at 01:22 AM..

Old 10-12-2014, 12:26 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,114,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazkat9696 View Post
I watched the video and all I saw a twitch. I think the family feels a lot of guilt for feeding her in the recovery room which could be what triggered the bleeding. Also if they had managed her weight better she wouldn't have needed the surgery but at some point they have to let her go.
Agreed. When I first saw the poor kid, I thought she needed weight loss, not surgery. Sleep apnea is worsened by obesity. I feel bad for her. Her family should just let her go.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:18 PM

2,410 posts, read 4,454,794 times
Just saw a local story and the court-ordered doctor says he does not see any signs of actual life and will be reporting that to the court. Now the family wants him removed as an expert because he was one of the original doctors to say that she was dead (and also is not saying what they want him to say.)

And this drags on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events