Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 01:39 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,671,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You're living in the wrong state then. You need to work on getting laws changed so victims aren't the ones sent to prison. I live in Texas and we can defend our lives and our property.
It's the same in Pennsylvania. Use of deadly force to protect herself from rape is explicitly included in the Pennsylvania statutes. She is intimidated by the legal system, but apparently her fear is not based in reality.

Police: Mother shoots, kills son's attacker | 6abc.com
WOMAN SHOOTS AND KILLS INTRUDER..(AUDIO)

Neither of the women in these reports were arrested.

It reminds me of the old saying, "A right you are afraid to exercise is not a right."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 04:36 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It's the same in Pennsylvania. Use of deadly force to protect herself from rape is explicitly included in the Pennsylvania statutes. She is intimidated by the legal system, but apparently her fear is not based in reality.

Police: Mother shoots, kills son's attacker | 6abc.com
WOMAN SHOOTS AND KILLS INTRUDER..(AUDIO)

Neither of the women in these reports were arrested.

It reminds me of the old saying, "A right you are afraid to exercise is not a right."
In California, you know the state all you people complain about and being so left, etc? The law PRESUMES someone breaking into your home is there to do you are a family member great bodily injury and/or death. Therefore, deadly force is PRESUMED to be legal and justified. When you have that written into the criminal code, it is almost IMPOSSIBLE to convict you of anything:

198.5. Any person using force intended or likely to cause death or
great bodily injury within his or her residence shall be presumed to
have held a reasonable fear of imminent peril of death or great
bodily injury to self, family, or a member of the household when that
force is used against another person, not a member of the family or
household, who unlawfully and forcibly enters or has unlawfully and
forcibly entered the residence and the person using the force knew or
had reason to believe that an unlawful and forcible entry occurred.
As used in this section, great bodily injury means a significant
or substantial physical injury.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:44 PM

914 posts, read 942,430 times
All of which does NOTHING...when your attacker is a family member. Or did you all miss the part where I stated such?

Old 12-31-2013, 06:58 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I wonder, if this is the entire story here. I live in a very rural area, and people "know" people, for example, I know this couple, the police have been to their home a few times, they are always breaking up, and getting back together. It is drama, all the time with them.

Has this woman called the police before with domestic assault issues? Not saying it should not be taken seriously, but, often, especially. In rural areas, calling police for domestic violence issues on a routine basis, may not put you at the top of the list when you call...

Old 12-31-2013, 09:12 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I wonder, if this is the entire story here. I live in a very rural area, and people "know" people, for example, I know this couple, the police have been to their home a few times, they are always breaking up, and getting back together. It is drama, all the time with them.

Has this woman called the police before with domestic assault issues? Not saying it should not be taken seriously, but, often, especially. In rural areas, calling police for domestic violence issues on a routine basis, may not put you at the top of the list when you call...
IMO, it depend how "violent" the domestic disputes are. If he puts her in the hospital each time or even occasionally, then they SHOULD respond. A man is usually much stronger than a woman and if the woman doesn't carry a knife or have a gun, then they need help when they call IMMEDIATELY. Drama isn't an excuse for a woman getting beating and being ignored by the police.

Old 12-31-2013, 09:19 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,010,863 times
What a terrible thing to happen! Just goes to show you can only protect yourself and not expect the police to help you. Though if I were this woman, I'd probably stopped staying alone at my house for a while. Possibly have gotten a gun or pulled out my knives and let him know I wasn't afraid to use them. Maybe even gotten a large dog, dogs are great deterrents.

How said that the town refuses to pay a tiny bit of taxes to fund a police department.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:21 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,757,343 times
The town is not large enough, to support a police department by itself. That is why this town like many, many others around the nation, contract the police department to the sheriff's department. Half the county's population live in a city large enough to fund a police department. Those living in town all vote against $1 per $1,000 valuation on their home to find a good sheriff's department Most of the people in the county outside this one town, vote for the tax. However there are a few who will never vote yes for anything that increases their taxes. The city population, and a very few outside the city voted against it. It was a very close race so it did not take many outside the city to kill the new tax.

Old 12-31-2013, 10:32 PM

914 posts, read 942,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
I was not replying to you. You are a drug influenced, paranoid, and far out of touch person. Doesn't matter what I say or do for you. You are hopeless and lost.

My points for other persons out there who are rational and calm.
Excuse ME. You do not know me, and you have NO BUSINESS accusing me of being involved with any drugs, period! You are being REPORTED.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:50 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,577,682 times
I will never understand men's thinking when it comes to rape. I have seen this discussion all over the internet and most men seem to have this strange mentality of "Well, it sucks but the woman should have used a knife/gun/protection etc."

Let me ask you guys something: Hypothetically say you were at a party with your guy friends you got passed out drunk, and woke up the next day where you had been stripped beaten and everything stolen and you went to the police only to be told "Geez man, why should we feel bad, you were the idiot to party and drink, not our problem!"

...I bet most men would not approve.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:11 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
It is tragic that the police didn't respond to her call for help. Even with cut-backs, there should at least be officers on call for emergencies.

As for the woman, if I was in her situation and knew about the cut-backs and knew I might not get help in the future after previous assaults, I'd take a gun course and then go out and buy one BIG-^SS gun. If he showed up and bashed my door down I'd shoot him where it hurts a man the most. He'd never have a chance to rape anyone ever again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events