Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 08:03 AM

25,558 posts, read 17,263,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the ""no police available" i understand. what i do not understand is a multa billion dollar justice system devoted to stripping me of my home job and incarcerating me- if i defend myself when "no police are available".
But that applies to California more than most other states. In my state, shooting an intruder is acceptable, and carrying a gun in my car is permitted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2013, 10:59 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times
in case anyone missed it in the comments, it says she has a felony record for drug possession so she would not have been able to obtain a gun anyway. Or would you want those with records to still be able to purchase them? I bet the answer is... "it depends".

Old 12-28-2013, 01:26 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,673,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
I already referenced a Florida case for you, and I can assure you the laws in PA and NJ are such that a woman who shoots an attacker is going to find herself at risk of murder or attempted murder charges.

I don't know how things are in Oregon, but I can assure you that in the NE of America, this is how things are.
I already pointed out that the Florida case had nothing to do with self defense. She just started spraying lead because her ex wanted to see his child.

As for Pennsylvania, you should familiarize yourself with the laws of your state:

Quote:
(2) The use of deadly force is not justifiable under this section unless the actor believes that such force is necessary to protect himself against death, serious bodily injury, kidnapping or sexual intercourse compelled by force or threat; nor is it justifiable if:
(i) the actor, with the intent of causing death or serious bodily injury, provoked the use of force against himself in the same encounter; or
(ii) the actor knows that he can avoid the necessity of using such force with complete safety by retreating or by surrendering possession of a thing to a person asserting a claim of right thereto or by complying with a demand that he abstain from any action which he has no duty to take, except that:
(A) the actor is not obliged to retreat from his dwelling or place of work, unless he was the initial aggressor or is assailed in his place of work by another person whose place of work the actor knows it to be; and
(B) a public officer justified in using force in the performance of his duties or a person justified in using force in his assistance or a person justified in using force in making an arrest or preventing an escape is not obliged to desist from efforts to perform such duty, effect such arrest or prevent such escape because of resistance or threatened resistance by or on behalf of the person against whom such action is directed.
Pennsylvania Self Defense Laws | use of force in self protection, property protection

You will note that Pennsylvania also has the Castle Doctrine.

If you are not willing to take responsibility for your own safety, you are just determined to cast yourself as a victim. There is no help for you.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Once again spoken like a true MAN...who does not know what it is like to be overpowered by a person three times their strength.

Listen, all of you MEN...you don't even GET to talk about rape, okay?

When YOU face the risk of being so violated, THEN you get to talk about it...until then, you can keep your mouths SHUT.

You have NO IDEA what a woman faces in that situation.
You need to get off this sexism kick. Men are much more likely to be victims of violent crime than women are. If you won't accept the advice of people who deal with it much more often than you do, you are not engaging reality. We have no interest in being your gynecounselor, but plenty of interest in explaining how you can prevent it. You are the one who refuses to take reasonable steps to protect herself.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
in case anyone missed it in the comments, it says she has a felony record for drug possession so she would not have been able to obtain a gun anyway. Or would you want those with records to still be able to purchase them? I bet the answer is... "it depends".
I said that was a possibility. I don't really know.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:32 PM

914 posts, read 942,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I already pointed out that the Florida case had nothing to do with self defense. She just started spraying lead because her ex wanted to see his child.

As for Pennsylvania, you should familiarize yourself with the laws of your state:

Pennsylvania Self Defense Laws | use of force in self protection, property protection

You will note that Pennsylvania also has the Castle Doctrine.

If you are not willing to take responsibility for your own safety, you are just determined to cast yourself as a victim. There is no help for you.
You will STILL go to court and stand trial, where you will be forced to PROVE you acted appropriately, and that will also require a good attorney...and you stand the risk of being tossed in jail, even so.

You can't just blow someone away and then not have a WHOLE BUNCH of trouble down the road.

Your MACHO answer to everything just doesn't work, Dirty Harry.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
You will STILL go to court and stand trial, where you will be forced to PROVE you acted appropriately, and that will also require a good attorney...and you stand the risk of being tossed in jail, even so.

You can't just blow someone away and then not have a WHOLE BUNCH of trouble down the road.

Your MACHO answer to everything just doesn't work, Dirty Harry.
Listen to what you are saying. You would rather be raped than exercise your right to self defense, even though your state law explicitly allows deadly force to prevent rape. If that's what you want, fine. I think it's the wrong choice.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
Listen to what you are saying. You would rather be raped than exercise your right to self defense, even though your state law explicitly allows deadly force to prevent rape. If that's what you want, fine. I think it's the wrong choice.
NO....I would rather AVOID GOING TO COURT LATER TO EXPLAIN MYSELF....AND AVOID FACING THE RISK OF BEING THROWN INTO JAIL IF I CAN'T PROVE SELF-DEFENSE.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:37 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,289,597 times
Quote:
NO....I would rather AVOID GOING TO COURT LATER TO EXPLAIN MYSELF....AND AVOID FACING THE RISK OF BEING THROWN INTO JAIL IF I CAN'T PROVE SELF-DEFENSE.
Sounds like a case for stand your ground laws. These duty to retreat laws are rubbish!

Old 12-29-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Sounds like a case for stand your ground laws. These duty to retreat laws are rubbish!
Yeah...so more George Zimmermans can get away with blowing away Trayvon Martins, right?

Yeah, guns and violence are ALWAYS the answer, aren't they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events