Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 02:17 PM

54,494 posts, read 33,862,309 times

Advertisements

I know hind-sight is always 20/20 and we can all say the woman in Oregon could have used a gun, or any other weapon to stop her attacker. I just hope they put this guy away for good and throw away the key. It's unfortunate that this woman has learned a hard lesson; when she calls 911, officers will not be there immediately to help her, so hopefully she'll get a firearm. In most self-defense cases, the bad guys end up running away from armed individuals.

I don't know about Oregon, I only lived there for a year in the mid 1990s, and from what I understand, the state had a Stand Your Ground law, which means if somebody is trying to break into, or has already broken into your place of residence, that gives you the right to use deadly force to subdue the attacker. As a native of Arizona, which is also a Stand Your Ground state, I know that I have every right to use deadly force in a self-defense situation, there are exceptions of course where you cannot use deadly force, such as if the intruder is running away from you, but for the most part, self-defense laws are favorable to law-abiding gun owners.

The 911 bit brings to mind a bumper sticker I remember from the 1990s "Forget 911, Dial 357"..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 02:33 PM

2,234 posts, read 3,320,082 times
I live in a county with 20,000 population. he county size is about the size of Delaware. The county has 13 officers. The county seat is 35 miles away. The county jail is manned by the deputies (2 per shift), that leave 1 patrolling deputy for the entire county. Also, after midnight, there are only about 3 state patrol officers in the eastern part of my state. They could be 150 miles away from me when I need them. On the few occasions when I needed a deputy, it took more then 30 mins for him (1) to get here.

If you think that the police/deputies/troopers are there to protect you, it's wishful thinking.

You are on your own!

Old 12-26-2013, 02:45 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,103,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
hello we talking bout this incident,,, a woman,, a RAPE -if you are a male feel free--You know what?,,, how can I a woman figure out what is best for a man to do?? please join in and tell us your first defense.
In my apt, my car, and near me I am semi prepared- (if awake) I can possibly protect myself.
My first defense? I'm going to blow their head off.

My senior year of college I had to intern for nine months for the South Carolina Department of Corrections.

I'm not bulletproof but I am pretty knowledgable about self defense. Yes, like any woman I could get raped but believe me, my attacker is going to get pretty f***ed up themselves.

Old 12-26-2013, 04:29 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Josephine County has zero sales tax, and according to news reports the lowest property taxes in Oregon. The sheriff keeps whining for more money, and the voters keep turning him down. It sounds like the voters have spoken, and most of them are satisfied with the level of government services that they are receiving. It seems most of the people are happy.

If I lived there I probably would be too. In my life I have never received any service from a LEO that I couldn't have done with out. So as long as there is a jail, a court house, and enough deputies to provide a basic patrol for the county, every thing should be fine. And they seem to have that.
Jackson County, right next door, has perennial law enforcement budget problems too. About 15 years ago two guys got into a feud and shot at each other with rifles for two hours. The cops never did come. After a while they were both wounded, so the Fire Department came and hauled them both to the hospital.

Josephine County is very rural, and most people know somebody with a backhoe they can borrow. I have heard that several of the worst offenders have suddenly "left town".

Old 12-26-2013, 04:45 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,678,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
Sometimes you have to wonder about who's actually getting "Justice" in this "Justice System", which incidentally is an oxymoron, because in some cases of self-defense, the defendant may be the person who killed an attacker defending himself and his family. It's bad enough when you're faced with a situation and you have to use deadly force, but in some states, it's even worse when you have to go to court to prove that it was a self-defense situation.
That's not a problem in Oregon. Self Defense is explicitly written into the state constitution. Rule of thumb is, shoot someone in their house and it's murder, shoot someone in your house and it's self defense. The state is also a "must issue" state for concealed carry permits. Notwithstanding the fact that one of the first school shooters was from Oregon (Kip Kinkle, Springfield High), gun violence is not considered to be a serious social problem here.

There was a really funny case about 25 years ago where a woman in Portland "self defensed" her lawyer husband with 9 rounds. She might have gotten away with it, but he survived. She got her divorce.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:31 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,157,968 times
Would be legal in Michigan as well, we have the Castle Doctrine law. One hundred percent OK to defend yourself with lethal force if you are in your own home and/or reasonably fear for your life.

Castle doctrine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-26-2013, 05:42 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,944,929 times
Hence the reason I own guns. The cops can't protect us on private property. All they can do is come by to collect evidence and fill out the paperwork once something bad happens.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:08 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,075,211 times
Looks like the 'when seconds count, the police are only minutes away' does not apply to this situation. In this situation it should be 'when seconds count, the police aren't coming, you're on your own'.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:34 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,204,961 times
In NJ, protecting yourself is a crime . We have the strictest gun laws in US.

Thankfully, we are a densely populated state, and the police are usually within a couple minutes of drive at most. Disabling the intruder for a couple minutes will work . Then, just hand him/her over to the police. In NJ, rely on your martial arts skill to give you the upper hand.

Recently, a West Virginia college student driving to NY got arrested for having a unloaded pistol in her car. Why ? Because concealed carry permits did not comply to NJ regulations. Yeah right , so necessary to prosecute this girl when there are gang bangers from Newark and Camden killing several people per day terrorizing neighborhoods and thugs are branching out into neighboring towns.

Last edited by Adi from the Brunswicks; 12-26-2013 at 08:20 PM..

Old 12-26-2013, 08:52 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
It would be hard for a lot of people to understand how rural Josephine county is. Only one bigger town/city, and 70% is owned by federal government. It is one of the most rural areas of the nation. Cave Junction is half an hour from Grants Pass where the sheriffs office is located down a 2 lane highway. And it happened on a day, when the sheriff's office was closed due to budget cuts. People are very independent and have spoken, and they refuse to support more police protection.

http://tinyurl.com/n4noqxg

https://www.city-data.com/city/Cave-Junction-Oregon.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events