Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 11:38 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
I was thinking as well that the sheriff could do that. But I
think at heart that it is a funding issue. This is a rural
county, but it has over 80,000 people so it should have enough of
a tax base to be able
to support 24/7 police protection of some sort.
I lived for
many years in a very rural and impoverished county with about a third of that
population and it and the surrounding counties, to which my
description of my former home county would also apply, always
managed to support some sort of 24/7 protection, even if it wasn't ideal. You cannot
rely on police for immediate protection, but to have none at all,
especially in a community of that size, in my view makes tragedies
like what happened here inevitable. Who knows what would have been
the outcome if even a couple of officers had been available, or if those
officers would have been able to respond in a sufficiently
timely manner to alter the outcome, but in not even
making a minimal attempt to provide any sort of police
protection at all, this community let this woman
down in a major way. Fortunately she did not die.
There is no such thing as police "protection" in rural areas. They will never arrive while the crime is still in progress. They arrested him an hour later, which is about as good as you can expect, regardless of funding levels. Yes, the county has 80,000 people, in 1,642 square miles. One hour 911 response is pretty typical in rural areas. This was an election issue story, but rural voters are quite aware that they could double their property taxes and all the patrol officers would still be within 15 minutes of town.

It has occurred to me that buying a gun may not have been an option for her. If she has a felony conviction on her record, she could not legally own a firearm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 12:08 PM

914 posts, read 943,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortpes View Post
Woman can and should take more responsibility for their own safety and the safety of their families. The police are only reactive and are not legally responsible for an individual's safety. Woman should take an active aggressive role in politics that allow them to train and arm themselves. Safety. Yes woman are very capable if they were interested.
And, again, what does woman do...when the Injustice System charges her criminally just because she defended herself? I can show you case file after case file where precisely this happened!

When the Injustice System quits trying to punish women for being raped, and for defending themselves FROM rape....then, maybe you might have some standing to say what you did.

I can only assume you are a male who hasn't a freaking clue what it is to be a woman.

As far as I am concerned, MEN don't even get to talk about rape. Not unless they are at risk of being raped.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:02 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
I was thinking as well that the sheriff could do that. But I
think at heart that it is a funding issue. This is a rural
county, but it has over 80,000 people so it should have enough of
a tax base to be able
Half the population in the whole county is is in one city, Grants Pass. Those people are protected by the city police department. They refused to put pay $1, per $1,000,000 on their homes for the sheriff's department and just a few from outside the city said no, and the tax levy was voted down to support a better sheriff's department. It is not they could not have enough taxes for a good sheriff's department, they cannot get the local's to vote a higher levy.

The county has about a 10% unemployment rate, and a large retired population. It is considered a a poor county with lowest property taxes in the state. The county is 70% government owned. The county has long relied on federal timber subsidy funds, but to help the big city states congress did away with sending those funds to the locals, is the reason the county had to lay off almost all the sheriff department deputies. So now the county has to rely on only getting taxes from 30% of the property in the state, and cannot afford more deputies as there is no money, but those 2 deputies on duty have to patrol the entire county even the federal land. In other words, 70% of the property in the county does not pay any property taxes (what the timber subsidies substituted for).

A good article about what is going on in that county. It is one everyone should read to see how bad it is. Learn how the county leaders tell the people the solution is if they do not feel safe, relocate somewhere else.

Citizens take law into own hands after cash-strapped Ore. county guts sheriff's office | Fox News

Old 12-27-2013, 04:43 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Maybe the woman who was raped lived there because she liked low property taxes as well.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Maybe the woman who was raped lived there because she liked low property taxes as well.
And that makes the whole thing okay?

Old 12-27-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
And, again, what does woman do...when the Injustice System charges her criminally just because she defended herself? I can show you case file after case file where precisely this happened!

When the Injustice System quits trying to punish women for being raped, and for defending themselves FROM rape....then, maybe you might have some standing to say what you did.

I can only assume you are a male who hasn't a freaking clue what it is to be a woman.

As far as I am concerned, MEN don't even get to talk about rape. Not unless they are at risk of being raped.
I doubt very much that those "case files" exist. They certainly don't exist in Oregon. Police officers even conduct self defense courses for women here. Women are taught to keep shooting until there is nothing standing in front of them.

It is a physical impossibility for a police department to protect the citizenry. If women refuse to take responsibility for their own safety, their only other option is to be a witness in court. Police don't stop crime they arrest the criminal.

You need to quit playing the victim card and learn to take care of yourself.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Yeah. so you can end up in jail...like the woman who got 20 years JUST FOR FIRING A WARNING SHOT??

Here's THAT news story, if you don't believe me
According to the article, she had to go out to her car to get the gun. She had the option to just leave. Instead, she went back into the house and started spraying lead.

That's a pretty heavy sentence, but it wasn't self defense.

Old 12-28-2013, 12:38 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
And that makes the whole thing okay?
And who said it does? She very likely knew that she lived in a rural area, and enjoyed the lower taxes -- which anyone who can put two and two together would know might mean the police aren't going to be there in under 2 minutes.

I think she should have protected herself, she knew she had an abusive ex. Or she could have moved to a high tax urban area where the police response is much faster if she was anti-self-defense.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
I doubt very much that those "case files" exist. They certainly don't exist in Oregon. Police officers even conduct self defense courses for women here. Women are taught to keep shooting until there is nothing standing in front of them.

It is a physical impossibility for a police department to protect the citizenry. If women refuse to take responsibility for their own safety, their only other option is to be a witness in court. Police don't stop crime they arrest the criminal.

You need to quit playing the victim card and learn to take care of yourself.
I already referenced a Florida case for you, and I can assure you the laws in PA and NJ are such that a woman who shoots an attacker is going to find herself at risk of murder or attempted murder charges.

I don't know how things are in Oregon, but I can assure you that in the NE of America, this is how things are.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And who said it does? She very likely knew that she lived in a rural area, and enjoyed the lower taxes -- which anyone who can put two and two together would know might mean the police aren't going to be there in under 2 minutes.

I think she should have protected herself, she knew she had an abusive ex. Or she could have moved to a high tax urban area where the police response is much faster if she was anti-self-defense.
Once again spoken like a true MAN...who does not know what it is like to be overpowered by a person three times their strength.

Listen, all of you MEN...you don't even GET to talk about rape, okay?

When YOU face the risk of being so violated, THEN you get to talk about it...until then, you can keep your mouths SHUT.

You have NO IDEA what a woman faces in that situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events