Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 07:38 AM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
Yeah...so more George Zimmermans can get away with blowing away Trayvon Martins, right?

Yeah, guns and violence are ALWAYS the answer, aren't they?
When faced with violence yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 09:40 AM

832 posts, read 1,417,793 times
I think another lawsuit is in order.

It's well settled law that if a state or local government offers 911, they are responsible for maintaining the services associated with offering it. I think the City of Buffalo was the first one who was sued and lost this because they didn't have the services associated with 911. They didn't have a fire truck due to something or other, or something along those lines.

When I lived in SoCal, anytime it rained, 911 was overwhelmed. I watched a car accident outside my porch in a monsoon, and when I called 911, they put me on hold for a bit then asked me if the occupants were able to get out of their cars. I told them I didn't know, my view wasn't that well, and they responded: "Well, if they're injured, someone will call us back and ask for an ambulance." *click*

That same week of the monsoon, my husband was rear ended by an illegal alien and a cop was right there. He told my husband that her car wasn't registered, she didn't have insurance, he wasn't injured so he wasn't going to make a report.

Sometimes, police are just so overwhelmed that they can't respond to everything.

But in this case, there's no justifiable excuse why a state trooper could not have been there in 30 minutes.

Of course, it's probably a case of "She's a meth head, He's a meth head, so long as they're only harming each other, we won't interfere."

Old 12-29-2013, 10:25 AM

914 posts, read 943,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Well, then, how about YOU be the one to face the risks of court proceedings and jail time after the fact?

I have seen, time and again, women who defended themselves...get thrown into jail for doing it.

Again, I maintain that you MEN don't even get to TALK about rape, since you are at no risk of having it happen to you.

Old 12-29-2013, 11:40 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
Default You are kidding right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I don't get it, you have a psycho BF? So, put out a restraining order, get a gun...the man steps on your property, shoot him!

Hate women who portray themselves as victims...
wow. I seriously hope you are kidding...and you are a 'moderator'? Mods should think before posting, as you are setting an example on C-D.

Women with abusive exes are often conned/manipulated. Read up on abusers-they can be very charming and Jeckyll/Hyde like. And, a woman who has been in an abusive cycle is psychologically caught in that web of fear/terror, often believing truly that they will be killed and have no other options. (And if you actually research the reality, you'll find that abusers who threaten to kill do make good on those promises!)

Well, I just stumbled across this post while doing other research, so I'm outta here...
but I hope you will consider educating yourself. Do some people, including women, portray themselves as victims and use that as their own sort of power ploy? Sure...
But that does not discount the fact that it is the abuser who is at fault and responsible for his/her actions. So this lady let the abuser in and did not have a gun on the ready, and it's HER fault that she was raped and the police were unavailable? Yes, that makes sense. Not.

Also, we all know that abusers *always* respect restraining orders. (sarcasm noted).

Old 12-29-2013, 12:10 PM

169 posts, read 195,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
wow. I seriously hope you are kidding...and you are a 'moderator'? Mods should think before posting, as you are setting an example on C-D.
Even Mods have Opinions and Jaspers was right on the mark.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:13 PM

169 posts, read 195,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalisiin View Post
Again, I maintain that you MEN don't even get to TALK about rape, since you are at no risk of having it happen to you.
Tell that to all the men in prison or other men who are raped by men.

It certainly can happen and does happen although not as common as women.

Ever watched Deliverance the Movie ?

Old 12-29-2013, 12:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
the ""no police available" i understand. what i do not understand is a multa billion dollar justice system devoted to stripping me of my home job and incarcerating me- if i defend myself when "no police are available".
They don't if you prove self defense but remember that is always a defense ;not something they have to accept as grand jury or at trial. You have to prove by evidence or lack of evidence to contrary.

Old 12-29-2013, 01:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Plus the jury found not only self defense proved as a defense but judge actually pointed out the conduct in hiding evidence from defense afterwards. That is our system and it was more a case of lynch mob mentality in the end .Jury actually found by reasonable belief that Martin was the attacker and Zimmerman acted after being beaten and reasonably believed he was further threatened by death.E ven the media commented on evidence withheld by prosecutors in the end.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:52 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
I don't think that this is a situaton where we do not have a victim.
And if a community of the better part of a hundred thousand
residents wasn't able to provide at least SOME sort of a police
response, whatever the reason, then she has a VERY legitimate
reason for compaint. People can't always adequately
defend themselves, civil society has a moral responsibility
to at least try to offer some degree if protection. If this
were a rural county of five or ten ten thousand people or less
I would be more understanding, but not in the case of one of nearly
ninety thousand people, even if it does cover 1600 sq miles. Remember,
this county had literally no deputies duty much of the week, INCLUDNG
Friday nights and Saturdays, when trouble is most likely. And the people of this community are
apparently cinsidering even MORE cuts to their sheriff's
department.
The crime has already been committed by the time police are called. All they'll do now is take the victim's statement.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:35 PM

914 posts, read 943,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletrouble View Post
Tell that to all the men in prison or other men who are raped by men.

It certainly can happen and does happen although not as common as women.

Ever watched Deliverance the Movie ?
Are you, or have you....been in prison?
Would you say that you, yourself, face ANY risk of being raped?

Rape is part of the life experience of as many as 1/3 of all women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events