Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 05:15 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,863,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
We have a bystander culture. It's much easier to film something than it is to take action. For some people, filming stuff is a knee jerk reaction these days.

You stand there and you watch and you think that the attacker is going to stop soon. Because who randomly attacks someone out of the blue like that and keeps it up? It's surreal. Also, you look at the other factors involved - I'd be scared to intervene myself because of the proximity of the kid.

For an effective intervention, multiple bystanders would have had to coordinate to 1) remove the child from harm's way and 2) restrain the woman. I'd say 3 people would be needed at least (one to grab the kid and two to safely restrain the attacker). Most groups of random individuals aren't that organized, and this looked like a bunch of kids and teenagers.

In my late teens, early 20s, I once saw a guy attack a teenaged skateboarder on the boardwalk because the kid had bumped into his girlfriend. I saw the attack unfold right in front of me and it took me a while to process what was going on. It was just so unreal. There were TONS of people around me - families, adults, etc. - and it took a pair of construction workers running over from a nearby work site to actually intervene.

I've stepped forward in similar situations since then, but that first time is a doozy.
Well now her face is all over the internet. Other inmates will have a heyday with her when she does time and they find out she threatened a little boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 06:34 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,441,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Well now her face is all over the internet. Other inmates will have a heyday with her when she does time and they find out she threatened a little boy.
Yeah, there's not much chance of her avoiding a conviction, simply because there WERE people who recorded the attack.

I should note that the kid I saw get attacked was with a group of two or three friends -all of them in their mid to late teens. Even with this big, burly guy beating up their friend, they were just shocked. They didn't intervene to help him, even though they could have. They clearly didn't know what to do but look bewildered and a little scared, and neither did any of the other bystanders. Those construction guys clearly had addressed situations like that before.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:36 AM

78,868 posts, read 61,063,313 times
Beaten mom is going to collect enough to GTFO of that crappy neighborhood so that's a silver lining.

I worked at a company years ago that insured some fast food joints and I've seen what claim settlements go for when some employee loses it and goes after a customer.

If it turns out that the employee had a violent history, that the management didn't help and so forth.....it just gets worse and worse for McD's.

Not to mention they can bring the suit in that jurisdiction and that jury pool is pure money whenever a lawyer can drag someone out and ask for millions from a big corporation.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:59 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,276,954 times
Yes it's sad to say but this may be the best thing to happen to this woman. She will have to wait a long time for any settlement-years probably. But she needs to get out of that crappy neighborhood ASAP. Nobody's life will ever be the same. That pooor little boy- my heart just broke fo rim. How confused and hurt he must be. Hope he gets some help. this could impact him for the rest of his life.
I hope that crazy beotch gets put away for many many years and she gets what she deserves in prison. They have their own brand of justice in there.

Old 07-02-2014, 06:26 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,973,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Love those $15 an hour employees. They so deserve a "living wage".
Try not to judge all fast food workers by one idiot, most of them are hard workers just trying to earn a living. This is just one example of a person who would have been a b%$#! no matter what her job was.

Old 07-02-2014, 07:07 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,025,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
Try not to judge all fast food workers by one idiot, most of them are hard workers just trying to earn a living. This is just one example of a person who would have been a b%$#! no matter what her job was.

Very true. Let's not pretend that there aren't a-holes in the proffessional world either.

Old 07-02-2014, 08:56 AM

16,768 posts, read 8,753,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
The classic 'bystander effect.'

Yes, it's infuriating, and yes, I'm sure many of us like to think that we would have done something far more 'heroic,' like going in for a kung fu arse whupping Chuck Norris style.

But despite what we claim, we truly don't know how we will act in any given moment, for any given situation.

What if it were a situation where a guy 6 foot 6 and 300 pounds of pure muscle was doing similar to a woman? Or a pack of criminals? Probably not so brave then.

Sense of shock at what's happening, event not even registering until it's over, things of that sort.

Just saying, at least I'd admit that I never know how I would act for sure in different scenarios. If that makes me cowardly so be it.
I have not read any other comments yet, so it will be interesting to see how many others avoid the obvious in this video because of liberal white guilt or political correctness.

This so called "bystander effect" you refer to seems to be most prevalent when a white person is being attacked by a black person, with blacks being the witnesses. There is video after video of blacks attacking whites in a predominately black area and you hear those in the background either laughing, oohing and awing, or even egging on the attacker. Once in a while you will see a black person try to intervene(typically a woman), but by and large that is not the case. Maybe the mentality is whitey is getting what he deserves?
In the video certain things are bleeped out, so it could just be cursing. However even if she was referencing race during the attack, I doubt Obama/Holder & Co will even raise an eyebrow. Yet if it were reversed race wise, I'd bet Holder would be assigned to it, and the race baiting merchants like Sharpton would be on a flight.

Now as to what you claim regarding possibly being a coward, no personal offense intended, but maybe you are.
Then again you might be a 5 foot nothing, 100 pound nothing woman. However if you are a man, and I mean a real man, you would not allow a defenseless woman to be beaten to a pulp regardless of who the attacker was. What if that woman carried out her threat to attack the child and started pounding him. Would you still be an idle observer?

While some people will avoid potentially getting hurt, even if it means allowing someone else to be pummeled decent people will intervene at least enough to try and stop the attack. Two regular women fighting and I am going to try and intervene after some typical slapping, pulling hair, and etc., because most of those fights are a joke. However if I see a tiny woman get knocked down by a huge woman, who then proceeds to rain down fists to the head MMA style, I am bringing an immediate stop to it.

As to you saying a 6'6" 300lbs attacker, I'd feel more of an urgency, not less, to intervene and would not hesitate to do so. Then again I was raised that way, and taught to be a real man, not a pretend one!

Now if it were a "pack of criminals", then I'd need to involve my firearm because despite my bravado, I am not Chuck.
Actually that is a good reason for people to carry defensive weapons because as this video shows, any situation could potentially turn deadly even if you would not imagine that it could.

`

Old 07-02-2014, 09:19 AM

820 posts, read 1,212,024 times
She turned herself in and they already reduced bail from 35k to 20k bond.

Old 07-02-2014, 09:22 AM

16,768 posts, read 8,753,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I'd think so, and it would be well justified, especially if the victim was injured.
I find it amusing that people now days would assign blame to McDonalds for the actions of such a person. How is McDonalds responsible for someone leaving the restaurant and attacking a customer?
And before you say they need to do background checks, remember this is a McDonalds after all, not a nuclear power plant.
Furthermore, it is much more likely that if McDonalds did do a background check and refused to hire her(assuming she had a criminal past), our racist AG Eric Holder would demand she be hired anyway.
Or have you not heard the lastest garbage with criminal background checks not being fair to "his people"?

Plus this woman/animal would likely prevail in a civil court with claims of discrimination with jurors like you who would so easily dish out verdicts against corporations like McDonalds for this attack.
She is a black Muslim woman, so she could claim three different versions of why she was not hired, and ignorant fools would award her money because after all, liberals would assume she was probably discriminated against.
So you are doomed either way in this litigious PC society we are currently living in.

___

I will note so far only one other poster has even mentioned the potential racial aspect of this attack.
Sad, but not surprising.
Why is it that when a black criminal is injured by a white LEO, it is assumed race may be involved, but black on white attacks occur without liberals racial alarm bells going off?

Old 07-02-2014, 11:55 AM

36,753 posts, read 14,893,301 times
As the OP noted, people stood around doing nothing (not counting those who chose to film the fracas). It's outrageous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events