Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2014, 04:57 PM

23,539 posts, read 12,509,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Couldn't find any, could you. That's ok, I thought not.
Sure it's hard to find, since white people who are shot by cops are 'not newsworthy' (no flames to fan, so the news media isn't interested in creating massive amounts of headlines about those cases). Also, the ones that do sneak through to make the headlines, the headlines typically don't say White person killed by White cop, or, White person killed by Black cop - in fact the race of the officer is rarely mentioned in either the headline or the story, sometimes it's only known because of a video or still pictures.

I did find a few though..
Shot and killed ..

Dillon Taylor - 20 years old - unarmed - shot by Officer Bron Cruz (comment in the story, who made the comment is unknown, say Cruz is black, but in the video he 'appears' to be white-no 'real' confirmation)

Joseph Jennings - 18 years old - police refuse to say if he was armed or not - shot 16(+?) times by unnamed cops (talk about sweeping this one under the rug)

Gilbert Collar - 18 years old - unarmed - shot by Officer Trevis Austin (black-several articles, only 'one' article headlined that the cop was black)

Christopher Roupe - 17 - unarmed (had a Wii game controller in his hand) - shot by Officer Beth Gatny (white-picture) after she knocked on the Roupes door and as Roupe was opening the door

Shot but surprisingly survived..
Bobby Canipe - 70 years old - unarmed (had a cane that the cop thought was a gun) - shot several times in the chest by Officer Terrance Knox (appears to be black in video)

Old 12-16-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
All the poor baby did was run over to the car when they called him and he was immediately shot as he did so.

Actually, in the video Rice was sitting at the table and looked up and must have seen the cop car coming, he then got up and walked over to the edge of the pavilion (where he was shot) and was just standing there before the cop car even showed up in the video.

Again, "the hand dipping in the waistband" thing is popping up again when we can see as clear as day in the video that the boy NEVER did this.
That part of the video is not clear as day, but clear enough to make a fairly good guess .. the video NEEDS to be cleaned up (much like they had done with the Tony Stewart video) so it can show without any doubt what Rice was doing with his arms/hands.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:21 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Sure it's hard to find, since white people who are shot by cops are 'not newsworthy' (no flames to fan, so the news media isn't interested in creating massive amounts of headlines about those cases). Also, the ones that do sneak through to make the headlines, the headlines typically don't say White person killed by White cop, or, White person killed by Black cop - in fact the race of the officer is rarely mentioned in either the headline or the story, sometimes it's only known because of a video or still pictures.

Shot and killed ..

Dillon Taylor - 20 years old - unarmed - shot by Officer Bron Cruz (comment in the story, who made the comment is unknown, say Cruz is black, but in the video he 'appears' to be white-no 'real' confirmation)

Joseph Jennings - 18 years old - police refuse to say if he was armed or not - shot 16(+?) times by unnamed cops (talk about sweeping this one under the rug)
Wow!! I'd like to know MORE about what happened with this one.

Quote:
Bobby Canipe - 70 years old - unarmed (had a cane that the cop thought was a gun) - shot several times in the chest by Officer Terrance Knox (appears to be black in video)
An older person that survived multiple shots to the chest. It was not his time to go yet.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:15 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post

Shot and killed ..

Gilbert Collar - 18 years old - unarmed - shot by Officer Trevis Austin (black-several articles, only 'one' article headlined that the cop was black)

Christopher Roupe - 17 - unarmed (had a Wii game controller in his hand) - shot by Officer Beth Gatny (white-picture) after she knocked on the Roupes door and as Roupe was opening the door

These don't appear justified either. Taylor, Jennings and Collar were all depressed and suicidal. Taylor did not obey the policeman's commands to show his hands and that is seen on the video. Jennings was mentally ill. These two committed suicide by cop. It's very sad. Collar was naked and on some kind of synthetic drug. Collar went to a music festival and took the drug before assaulting two people in vehicles and attempting to bite a woman's arm. Roupe just opened his door at the wrong time with a game controller in his hand. At least the deputy who shot Canipe was emotionally upset about what he had done. Also, I think that in these cases, medical aide was given to the victims.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
These don't appear justified either. Taylor, Jennings and Collar were all depressed and suicidal. Taylor did not obey the policeman's commands to show his hands and that is seen on the video. Jennings was mentally ill. These two committed suicide by cop. It's very sad. Collar was naked and on some kind of synthetic drug. Collar went to a music festival and took the drug before assaulting two people in vehicles and attempting to bite a woman's arm. Roupe just opened his door at the wrong time with a game controller in his hand. At least the deputy who shot Canipe was emotionally upset about what he had done. Also, I think that in these cases, medical aide was given to the victims.
I agree that the cop who had shot the old man did seem very upset that he'd done that, something that most other cops caught on video don't seem to show.

But my post wasn't regarding whether someone was depressed, suicidal, on some drug, etc., .. it was strictly in response to this particular request made by another poster .. "finding just 3 similar shootings of white men. Unarmed, or fake weapons, and one of them should be 12 years old"

I didn't run across an article for an unarmed white "12 year old". Though, my time was running short and I just ended up going with what I had found. There may be an article out there about some unarmed white "12" year old, or some other young age other than "12". I'd have to do more research, and have the time to do it. (I do know of a case where a 5 year old had been shot and killed by cops, simply because of the cops acting foolishly, and both cops barely got slapped on the hands for doing it - then later on it was expunged from the records, like it had never happened - but that case didn't fit what the person had requested so I didn't list it with the others)

Like I'd mentioned in my previous post - most articles don't headline it as Unarmed White 'person' shot by Cop, or even mention in the story that the person was white - the media just lets the pictures or video show it instead, so those things do make it a tad harder when searching.

Old 12-16-2014, 08:52 PM

16,578 posts, read 8,596,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Really? You seriously couldn't understand what that poster was getting at? He wants you to find 3 instances of cops shooting unarmed white kids/guys or ones carrying fake guns, preferably find one that involves a 12 year old.

What does that have to do with my post which he quoted?
Ironically enough, the fact that most of us are not readily aware of the names or incidents which undoubtedly happen is more of an indictment of this racial witch hunt some of you seem to be on. Another words, all sorts of unarmed people have been killed by LEO's over the years, yet because the media does not perceive it as red meat, the story is either buried on page 6, and it probably does not even include the race of the deceased, nor the race of the LEO if it is not white cop vs. black suspect.
Heck off the top of my head I recall several incidents of cops killing unarmed white suspects like the guy in Seattle(I think, or maybe in Oregon) just walking down the street. There was also an unarmed white firefighter killed by a cop while resisting arrest, and I commented on it here on CD. As I recall, I took some heat for my criticism of the cops actions.
There are also unarmed suspects killed by black LEO's, but again they fly under the radar due to the lack of media or race merchant interest.

However I have allowed this poster to first confuse me, and now deflect from my point(which might have been the intention).
My point is that race has not been a factor in any of these recent high profile cases other than what the media and race merchants have tried to make it into to.

As I said, I feel for this kid, and his family. I believe the LEO's actions, and their departmental procedures need to be reviewed to see if there is a way to make them less likely to use deadly force in a similar situation, especially with a young child.
However when race is injected into it without any evidence that racism was involved, it makes people who would normally be a willing allies, not want to get involved.

Old 12-17-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookey123 View Post
Why are you blaming the parents?
That poster probably feels the same way I do, in that the parents were a tragic component in this equation. Had they bought their son a less realistic looking gun(I see nothing wrong with toy guns as I and my friends all played with them), their child might still be alive. That was not the only factor, but it certainly contributed as I mentioned in an earlier post.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:21 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,375,696 times
Default I saw that video and it was a nano second

Quote:
Originally Posted by local2rtp View Post
The video I saw is disturbing. The cop car pulls up and the cop gets out immediately. Within a couple of seconds of the cop exiting the car, the boy drops (presumably shot). If what I saw was the raw footage, this is appalling to say the least. I understand the police severely compounded this horrendous event to a heinous extent by arresting the sister as her brother lay there dying and by forcing the mom to chose between the daughter and son.

I hope in the very least this shooting serves as a catalyst to bring about lasting changes. Gunning down innocents, especially children, is not why we need policing.
One thousand one, one thousand two. Two seconds is actually a long time, but the video I saw the cop shot in a nano second. I'll look at it again.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:26 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,026,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
One thousand one, one thousand two. Two seconds is actually a long time, but the video I saw the cop shot in a nano second. I'll look at it again.
It won't change.

The cop calls the kid over to the car and as soon as he does he shoots him in the chest.

Thank goodness for the video. At least this cop won't be able to claim the kid "dipped his hand in his waistband" like so many others have done.

Old 12-17-2014, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
He won't be able to find one. Not for THIS century nor the LAST one either.
I see by your last post you have changed tact from the quote of your previous post I highlighted.

I guess you now realize how absurd your claim is based on some other posters who gave you some examples before I did. While I am still not sure what the poster who responded to my post was driving at, it had nothing to do with my overall point.

Injecting race into a situation where it does not belong diminishes the overall problem of police policies which allow too much lethal force. Hopefully you have wizened up to that, or are in the process of doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events