Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-22-2014, 04:00 AM

3,536 posts, read 2,858,898 times

Advertisements

This is my opinion, and it is just that until all the facts are out.
1. The kids parents should never have been allowed to breed, in this day and age a child should not be allowed to play with a fake gun unless the orange tip is in place and they are on private property, IE playing cops and gang bangers.

2. At 12 the kid should have know better, but then again see 1.

3. The police officers should not have raced up that close to the boy, if for no other reason than there own protection, hell the "veteran officer" placed the the car broadside to an armed person! WTF.

4. I don't think either officer should be charged criminally, police are placed in situations that normal citizens just can't understand, they need to be given the benefit of doubt.

5. The veteran officer should be given the most severe reprimand possible and be fired, for placing his partner and himself in a situation that could have (A.) gotten them killed and (B.) did get a 12 year old child killed.

6. I have to admit I don't know about the rookie officer, he was placed in a pretty bad position by his partner.

7. The police need to revamp there training and tactics.

Just for the record I usually support the police, I think Michael Brown was a thug and got what he deserved. But on the other hand the cop who shot the man in the gas station parking lot who was retrieving his wallet should be held criminally responsible for gross dereliction of duty. So I go both ways.
I also think the police should receive extensive training in the constitutional rights of all citizens.
also any officer who does not want to be videoed while doing his job should be fired.

bill

Old 12-22-2014, 04:06 AM

3,106 posts, read 3,991,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
1. The kids parents should never have been allowed to breed, in this day and age a child should not be allowed to play with a fake gun unless the orange tip is in place and they are on private property, IE playing cops and gang bangers.

3. The police officers should not have raced up that close to the boy, if for no other reason than there own protection, hell the "veteran officer" placed the the car broadside to an armed person! WTF.

4. I don't think either officer should be charged criminally, police are placed in situations that normal citizens just can't understand, they need to be given the benefit of doubt.

5. The veteran officer should be given the most severe reprimand possible and be fired, for placing his partner and himself in a situation that could have (A.) gotten them killed and (B.) did get a 12 year old child killed.

6. I have to admit I don't know about the rookie officer, he was placed in a pretty bad position by his partner.

7. The police need to revamp there training and tactics.

Just for the record I usually support the police, I think Michael Brown was a thug and got what he deserved. But on the other hand the cop who shot the man in the gas station parking lot who was retrieving his wallet should be held criminally responsible for gross dereliction of duty. So I go both ways.
I also think the police should receive extensive training in the constitutional rights of all citizens.
also any officer who does not want to be videoed while doing his job should be fired.

bill
Exactly, huge +1 to all of it. Especially on calling out the gas-station spray-and-pray. I wonder why it's not bumped to the top? It would be the only legit case of police pulling a trigger that shouldn't have happened on this front page of topics, it seems.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxcoder View Post
I blame the thug incompetent racist cops.

Where are your parents??? It's clear they dropped you on your head repeatedly. We'll hold them accountable for your incompetence.
Why do you keep using the term "thug" after you told us earlier that you think thug is a racist term?

Maybe you can hold my parents accountable for raising someone who doesn't go around waving a pistol at people.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxcoder View Post
It was a toy airsoft gun. Another one of your made up stories. Nice try though.
Cool story, tell me again how Tamir is still alive

I'll hold your parent accountable for raising a waste of air.
I bet you think you're important enough for me to care what you think, too.

Old 12-22-2014, 05:57 AM

28,667 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
The parents didn't give the kid the gun, didn't know he had it. He got it from a playmate.

Quote:
At 12 kids do lots of things that adults think dumb.

Quote:
I would agree with the OP that the first deadly mistake was that the 911 dispatcher did not properly characterize the call. I can't imagine that "caller thinks the suspect might be a juvenile" and "caller thinks the gun may be fake" is not pertinent information. It certainly brings the situation down from "shots fired" or "suspect is actively threatening others."

Something to be remembered: Cleveland is an open-carry city, which means there will be "man with gun" calls to 911 from "concerned citizens" who don't like guns. It also means there will be some people with legal guns doing dumb stuff with them, like displaying (brandishing) them. It also means sometimes kids with make off with their parents' guns to show to friends.

All of those kinds of 911 calls will happen in an open-carry city, none of them need end in death. Police officers ought to already know that--and it sure should have been reflected by the 911 dispatcher.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
The parents didn't give the kid the gun, didn't know he had it. He got it from a playmate.

I would agree with the OP that the first deadly mistake was that the 911 dispatcher did not properly characterize the call. I can't imagine that "caller thinks the suspect might be a juvenile" and "caller thinks the gun may be fake" is not pertinent information. It certainly brings the situation down from "shots fired" or "suspect is actively threatening others."

Something to be remembered: Cleveland is an open-carry city, which means there will be "man with gun" calls to 911 from "concerned citizens" who don't like guns. It also means there will be some people with legal guns doing dumb stuff with them, like displaying (brandishing) them. It also means sometimes kids with make off with their parents' guns to show to friends.

All of those kinds of 911 calls will happen in an open-carry city, none of them need end in death. Police officers ought to already know that--and it sure should have been reflected by the 911 dispatcher.
The inevitable fact remains that when you make to point anything that looks like a firearm at an armed person, you can expect a lethal response might result. This is not dependent upon any intrinsic factor, as bullets don't care who fires them, nor who they hit. A stupid game won a stupid prize. The actors could have all done things differently, but at the end of the day someone shot someone because they feared for their life, and reasonably so.

Old 12-22-2014, 06:13 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,810,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

BBM

Absolutely all police officiers are suppose to know ( at any given time) who has an open-carry and permit and who has street guns. Yeah, they wake-up at 5:00 in the morning like the rest of us and are suppose to have the whole cty of Cleveland's roster with names and addresses of open-carry.. What an incredibily bogus statement. This kid was pointing his gun all over the place and the officier was automatically suppose to know his age and that he carried an air gun.

Simple- too many guns in Cleveland and too many citizans that don't like them. It has to be the dispatchers fault.. ( He/she obviously didn't get the memo)

Old 12-22-2014, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegreenflute334 View Post
BBM

Absolutely all police officiers are suppose to know ( at any given time) who has an open-carry and permit and who has street guns. Yeah, they wake-up at 5:00 in the morning like the rest of us and are suppose to have the whole cty of Cleveland's roster with names and addresses of open-carry.. What an incredibily bogas statement. This kid was pointing his gun all over the place and the officier was automatically suppose to know his age and that he carried an air gun.

Simple- too many guns in Cleveland and too many citizans that don't like them. It has to be the dispatchers fault.. ( He/she obviously didn't get the memo)
This is what police go up against. They get a "man with a gun" call, and they arrive. They have literally split seconds to decide if the gun is "real" or not. They don't have the luxury of all the overhead satellite photos that the news agency acquires later in the day and uses to plot "optimal approach angles" with, etc. They aren't there to throw their lives away. They are there to pay their bills and protect the community. So while they make a decision in less time than it took to read the headline of this thread, the rest of America is looking over their shoulder from the safety (that they help provide...) of their sofa, watching the event retold on the evening news, with HOURS of fact development having taken place. Then they cast judgement. Why anyone at all would ever go into law enforcement today is beyond me, but I am glad that there are some people who are okay being so hated by the people they separate from the animals in this world for a meager living.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:41 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,548,625 times
In a open carry city wouldn't you want roll up, at a distance, and start asking questions

Old 12-22-2014, 01:57 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
The inevitable fact remains that when you make to point anything that looks like a firearm at an armed person, you can expect a lethal response might result. This is not dependent upon any intrinsic factor, as bullets don't care who fires them, nor who they hit. A stupid game won a stupid prize. The actors could have all done things differently, but at the end of the day someone shot someone because they feared for their life, and reasonably so.
You didn't watch the video, it's paintfully obvious. How many times can someone be consistently incorrect & refuse to watch & comprehend a video?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events