Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2014, 10:38 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,779,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
I'm going to refer all the bullies and malcontents I know to both Cleveland and Ferguson PD to get jobs as police officers.
A while back, it was a minor scandal for the Omaha NE police department when it was revealed that their regular policy was to assign rookies and "problem" cops to the North side--the black side.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:33 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Every other day(!) somewhere in this country a black, unarmed, man is shot by a white person acting in a duly sworn or volunteer law enforcement capacity. Every other day.
The only statistics I have ever seen close to this, is the state that every 28 hours a black person is killed by a police officer, vigilante, or security guard. All killings, not just shooting, and not just men, not just unarmed, and not just by police officers nor just by white people. First off, this stat comes from the Malcom X Grassroots Movement Ghetto Storm project. No bias there, nope.

https://mxgm.org/wp-content/uploads/...etto-Storm.pdf

But the biggest flaw in this report is that it included all killings of black men in prisons in this stat, regardless of who actually killed the person or how they died. They also included any self-defense killing in the stats, and included any deaths in car accidents involving a police officer or security guard (on or off duty). In fact, for black women 47% of the killings were in car accidents.
It is well hidden in the report, but of all of the killings, 43% were by security guard or vigilantes as well.

Old 12-20-2014, 12:36 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,766,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Seems like the Cleveland PD isn't big on doing performance reviews, or, if they do then they don't bother putting them into the files.
Performance reviews are closed records in nearly every state. You can't release them to the public. Not sure this is the case in Ohio, but most likely it is.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:33 PM

23,545 posts, read 12,517,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Performance reviews are closed records in nearly every state. You can't release them to the public. Not sure this is the case in Ohio, but most likely it is.
Not necessarily so when it's regarding public employees records.

Per the Public Records Act ..

2. Public Employee Records

Statutory Provisions: Personal information in files maintained for employees, appointees, or elected officials of any public agency [are exempt from disclosure] to the extent that disclosure would violate their right to privacy. RCW 42.56.230(2).

“Privacy” as used in an exemption means] disclosure of information about the person: (1) Would be highly offensive to a reasonable person, and (2) is not of legitimate concern to the public. RCW 42.56.050.

The Independence PD had no problems releasing the performance reviews they had made regarding Loehmann.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:34 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,695,467 times
The 911 operator, by not relaying the info about the gun likely being fake, is the one who killed that kid. Those cops showed up thinking this was someone with a real gun, and reacted based on that. If you've seen the video, for whatever reason, the kid was walking up to strangers pointing the gun in a threatening manner, so if the 911 call reflected JUST that then those cops would have showed up expecting the worst. If the 911 operator had let them know the person who called to report it suspected the gun was fake, it's very likely that whole situation would have gone down a lot different. All that said I'll never understand why that kid, upon seeing a cop car pull up, would reach for the gun and not raise his hands. It's very tragic, but placing the blame on the officer is not right here. I honestly want to know why that 911 operator didn't give those cops all the info they needed.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:34 PM

16,576 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
The 911 operator, by not relaying the info about the gun likely being fake, is the one who killed that kid. Those cops showed up thinking this was someone with a real gun, and reacted based on that. If you've seen the video, for whatever reason, the kid was walking up to strangers pointing the gun in a threatening manner, so if the 911 call reflected JUST that then those cops would have showed up expecting the worst. If the 911 operator had let them know the person who called to report it suspected the gun was fake, it's very likely that whole situation would have gone down a lot different. All that said I'll never understand why that kid, upon seeing a cop car pull up, would reach for the gun and not raise his hands. It's very tragic, but placing the blame on the officer is not right here. I honestly want to know why that 911 operator didn't give those cops all the info they needed.
I agree.

With that said, I had read the story, and seen part of the video, but now have more information which helps to color this a little differently. Lets start with the fact it was NOT a toy/fake gun(as I was lead to believe it had been), and instead a pellet gun.
Just like a BB gun, it can cause significant injury and even death. So while the LEO's probably would have handled it differently had they known it was a pellet gun, it was still a deadly weapon.

Why this has not been brought up and discussed is beyond me.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I agree.

With that said, I had read the story, and seen part of the video, but now have more information which helps to color this a little differently. Lets start with the fact it was NOT a toy/fake gun(as I was lead to believe it had been), and instead a pellet gun.
Just like a BB gun, it can cause significant injury and even death. So while the LEO's probably would have handled it differently had they known it was a pellet gun, it was still a deadly weapon.

Why this has not been brought up and discussed is beyond me.
It was an airsoft gun, specifically designed to shoot people without harm. It was not by any means a "deadly weapon."

Old 12-21-2014, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
The reason why the kid did not raise his hands is because he was a 12-year-old who had a car rush upon him with a strange man barking commands and then shooting within the span of 2 seconds.

I've worked with kids--I guarantee you that if you have a strange man rush upon any 12-year-old barking commands, you will not get the reaction you expect within two seconds.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:52 PM

3,106 posts, read 3,989,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
It was an airsoft gun, specifically designed to shoot people without harm. It was not by any means a "deadly weapon."
Looked "real". Was treated as "real".

Old 12-21-2014, 08:07 PM

186 posts, read 239,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
Looked "real". Was treated as "real".
There it is...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events