Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-08-2015, 11:52 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,733,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
Who is Tamir Rice? Never mind, I don't really care...
You cared enough to comment on this thread. Wanna explain that?

Old 01-08-2015, 11:53 AM

2,491 posts, read 2,679,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
So you are saying that black parents should not let their kids play with toy guns in public. Is that something white parents are supposed to do as well? Because I see an awful lot of white children playing with toy guns in public.

And even more absurdly, you are saying that black children should not play with toy guns in parks and should put their hands up when cops roll up? That is your vision of American freedom? I can't even . . .

Not sure why you are trying to turn my comments into a racial issue.
Any parent, white, black or green, should teach their kids not to point a realistic toy gun (with red marker removed) at people in a public park.
If a cop car drives over the lawn to pull up next to you, no matter what color you are, it is wise to have your hands where they can be seen.

I am a white, middle age male and when a cop pulls me over, I have my window down, my sun glasses off and both hands on the steering wheel when the cop walks up to my car. It is not a racial issue, it is simply common sense.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:26 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Oh please. False Narrative This isn't a Black vs White issue

You give a kid a gun, whether it be a toy or not, the very first lesson that should to with it is to never point it at someone and especially a stranger or cop. It's called proper parenting and that is color blind. This situation is example enough what can happen when kids are not taught proper skills for society. For your story to have any creedance you have to first accept that Blacks can't parent yet we know this isn't true.

Then we have the whole issue of an unsupervised 12 year old being in this location with no supervision in the first place, but I assume you avoid that because it doesn't the narrative either.
So you and your friends never went to a park unattended at 12 years old a block away from your home? Were you still in diapers at that age? Guess what, kids play with toy guns. That is not the problem. The problem is police shooting them in 2 seconds. A 12 year old!

And for the record, the deputy police chief stated that Rice did not point the gun at a cop. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/24/us...e-officer.html

From the article: "Deputy Chief Ed Tomba of the Cleveland police said on Saturday that the boy had not threatened the officers or pointed the weapon at them."

How can you have such a strong opinion on the case while being so uninformed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Not sure why you are trying to turn my comments into a racial issue.
Any parent, white, black or green, should teach their kids not to point a realistic toy gun (with red marker removed) at people in a public park.
If a cop car drives over the lawn to pull up next to you, no matter what color you are, it is wise to have your hands where they can be seen.

I am a white, middle age male and when a cop pulls me over, I have my window down, my sun glasses off and both hands on the steering wheel when the cop walks up to my car. It is not a racial issue, it is simply common sense.
You are moving the goalposts. Your post said that Rice's mistake was "[n]ot putting hands up when cops roll up." That is not the same as "wise to have your hands where they can be seen." And his hands look pretty visible in the security camera footage. This is unjustified victim-blaming.

When you get pulled over (for breaking the law), does the officer jump out of his car and shoot you in under two seconds?

Old 01-08-2015, 12:28 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
So you and your friends never went to a park unattended at 12 years old a block away from your home? Were you still in diapers at that age? Guess what, kids play with toy guns. That is not the problem. The problem is police shooting them in 2 seconds. A 12 year old!

And for the record, the deputy police chief stated that Rice did not point the gun at a cop. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/24/us...e-officer.html

From the article: "Deputy Chief Ed Tomba of the Cleveland police said on Saturday that the boy had not threatened the officers or pointed the weapon at them."

How can you have such a strong opinion on the case while being so uninformed?

You are moving the goalposts. Your post said that Rice's mistake was "[n]ot putting hands up when cops roll up." That is not the same as "wise to have your hands where they can be seen." And his hands look pretty visible in the security camera footage. This is unjustified victim-blaming.

When you get pulled over (for breaking the law), does the officer jump out of his car and shoot you in under two seconds?
I remember a thread on here a while ago about a woman who worked at McDonald's & she dropped her kid off at a park down the road while she worked. The cons on here, in response to libs who thought it was a bad idea to leave your kid in a park, were scoffing at the lib reaction claiming that kids that age don't need to be babysat, they're perfectly capable of playing in a park for a few hours, etc.

Old 01-08-2015, 12:42 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times

Quote:
So you and your friends never went to a park unattended at 12 years old a block away from your home? Were you still in diapers at that age? Guess what, kids play with toy guns. That is not the problem. The problem is police shooting them in 2 seconds. A 12 year old!....
I think every boy in my neighborhood might have had a toy gun at that age. Regardless of whether we did or didn't all of us had enough common sense to never point it at a stranger or policeman. We are all alive to day so those results speak for themselves.

Furthermore, if you are going to be putting diapers on people then save it for those who think the police force should be acting as substitution parents, who, in this case were MIA. That is not why they are there. It's easy to sire kids, that is something a stray dog can accomplish. Quite another to be responsible parents.

This kid is dead due to bad and irresponsible parenting no matter how much you want to spin it with false narratives, fallicies and endless line by line rebuttal posts.

Old 01-08-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

I think every boy in my neighborhood might have had a toy gun at that age. Regardless of whether we did or didn't all of us had enough common sense to never point it at a stranger or policeman. We are all alive to day so those results speak for themselves.

Furthermore, if you are going to be putting diapers on people then save it for those who think the police force should be acting as substitution parents, who, in this case were MIA. That is not why they are there. It's easy to sire kids, that is something a stray dog can accomplish. Quite another to be responsible parents.

This kid is dead due to bad and irresponsible parenting no matter how much you want to spin it with false narratives, fallicies and endless line by line rebuttal posts.
And Tamir Rice did not point the toy gun at a policeman. Read the link or watch the video. There is nothing irresponsible about a parent letting a 12 year-old child play in a park unattended. Or do you think kids should be 18 before they are allowed to play unattended?

Tamir Rice is dead because of poor policing, full stop.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:10 PM

Quote:

Victim blaming??? Did you read my original post?
Like many tragedies, this was a collection of mistakes and misunderstandings by everyone involved.
If anyone of the people involved had done something differently, this kid would probable be alive today.

But EVERYONE (white, black, young, old etc.) should know if the cops drive across the lawn to get to you, you should have your hands visible and empty, ESPECIALLY if you were pointing a gun a people minutes earlier.

And no, I don' get shot when stopped by the police and one of the reasons is because when the officer walks up my hands are visible.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Victim blaming??? Did you read my original post?
Like many tragedies, this was a collection of mistakes and misunderstandings by everyone involved.
If anyone of the people involved had done something differently, this kid would probable be alive today.

But EVERYONE (white, black, young, old etc.) should know if the cops drive across the lawn to get to you, you should have your hands visible and empty, ESPECIALLY if you were pointing a gun a people minutes earlier.

And no, I don' get shot when stopped by the police and one of the reasons is because when the officer walks up my hands are visible.
I read your original post, and it was absurd. You blamed a 12 year old's shooting death on him not having his hands up when the police rolled up and that his parents "didn't teach him about toy guns in public." Not victim blaming? You said "no one is innocent here." Umm, the 12 year old playing in the park was innocent. His parents are innocent.

Tamir Rice's hands look quite visible in the video. Why do you assume they were not? They were also empty. Why do you assume they were not?

Old 01-08-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I read your original post, and it was absurd. You blamed a 12 year old's shooting death on him not having his hands up when the police rolled up and that his parents "didn't teach him about toy guns in public." Not victim blaming? You said "no one is innocent here." Umm, the 12 year old playing in the park was innocent. His parents are innocent.

Tamir Rice's hands look quite visible in the video. Why do you assume they were not? They were also empty. Why do you assume they were not?
What part of my original post is absurd?
My comment was that 5 people made a mistake and a kid ended up dead.
Change anyone of those 5 peoples behavior that day and the kid is probably alive today.

You seem to be arguing that to remove the red marker on a realistic toy gun and to walk around a public place pointing it at people is perfectly acceptable behavior. I'm arguing that that behavior contributed to his death. Which one of us is being absurd?

I am unable to either freeze the video or zoom the video, so because it happened so fast, I am unable to tell where is hands are or what he has in them.

Old 01-08-2015, 02:49 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
I am unable to either freeze the video or zoom the video, so because it happened so fast, I am unable to tell where is hands are or what he has in them.
And therein lies your answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events