Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2014, 12:45 PM

5,314 posts, read 7,783,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
It's called being overweight. 30 to 60 pounds might be the normal weight of a pitbull.
But when overweight then obviously they can weigh a lot more.

Besides their reputation for violence, people don't like the way they look.
Pit bulls are ugly, scary looking animals
All people? No one likes they way they look? Sounds like an odd fact, and seems a bit subjective..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2014, 01:03 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,951,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiderman View Post
All people? No one likes they way they look? Sounds like an odd fact, and seems a bit subjective..
I didn't say all people. The poster asked "why are people so anti-pit bull?"
The poster didn't say some or most people, but its obvious he or she
meant many or most people. So I answered the same way.

My kids love dogs, but they would instinctively run away whenever they saw
a pitbull, which was thankfully rare. I was the same way when I was a small kid.
I once lived in a neighborhood that had one pitbull. I used to feel terrified whenever
I passed by the house where that pitbull lived, and me and my friends would cross
the street to stay as far away from it as possible. That was even before I knew anything about the breed, but we just instinctively knew to stay away from it.

Old 12-29-2014, 02:29 PM

1,906 posts, read 2,037,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Another one of those stories where they claim it's a pitbull but never actually show a photo of the dog. Shocking.
Another one of these stories where you loudly claim against all reason that yet another person that has been mauled or killed by a pitbull wasnt actually attacked by a pitbull that it must have been some kind of poodle border collie mix. When finally confronted with a pic of said dog, you then launch into a convoluted theory that somehow according to you the mentioned dog isn't a pitbull because it doesn't meet standards.

Quote:
Because those who say that pit bulls are dangerous are HIGHLY ignorant. That's why.

Right.....Thats just gotta be the dumbest thing I have read on this forum.

The statistics on fatal dog attacks or even just dog mauling attacks would say otherwise. Are some of them wrongly attributed to pitbulls? surely. But the 10% or so that probably are (if even that high) still arent enough to account for the huge gap.

Everyone else has enough common sense to realize that pit bulls are indeed a very dangerous breed. If you are walking around the neighborhood and a pitbull/labrador mix is running loose and comes up to check you out....its not the labrador part that makes you nervous and wary.

Now that doesn't mean pitbulls don't have uses....they do. Its just that 90% of the people that own them have no business owning them, and for the people that do have a legit reason to own one they should be kenneled or chained, not left to roam around or even in a fenced yard. Its irresponsible.

Pitbulls were bred to fight.....how could you possibly say that they aren't inherently a more dangerous breed.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:22 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,243,367 times
The police report also noted that “Fat Boy†has always been aggressive and bit Cahill and his girlfriend’s son in the past.

Darwin wins.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:32 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,169 times
A year old pit came in today for a nail filing. It took 2 of us and this dog got downright viscous about it. When leaving, it went for 2 groomers while receiving pets!. Not nice. I spoke to the people about the behavior. This dog is one of 2 pits in the family, along with young children. The owners said they only had the dog a few weeks and took it from a person that had left it alone in a dark garage for the first year of it's life. This is what I call a time bomb. They said the dog had gotten a lot better in the few weeks they have had it! I suggested they find a trainer that specializes in aggressive behavior and pits asap. They were trying to do the right thing for the dog but that was a frightening situation to me.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:57 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,115,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5K5LY View Post
A year old pit came in today for a nail filing. It took 2 of us and this dog got downright viscous about it. When leaving, it went for 2 groomers while receiving pets!. Not nice. I spoke to the people about the behavior. This dog is one of 2 pits in the family, along with young children. The owners said they only had the dog a few weeks and took it from a person that had left it alone in a dark garage for the first year of it's life. This is what I call a time bomb. They said the dog had gotten a lot better in the few weeks they have had it! I suggested they find a trainer that specializes in aggressive behavior and pits asap. They were trying to do the right thing for the dog but that was a frightening situation to me.
Yikes. I hope this works out for them.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:11 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanokie View Post
Another one of these stories where you loudly claim against all reason that yet another person that has been mauled or killed by a pitbull wasnt actually attacked by a pitbull that it must have been some kind of poodle border collie mix. When finally confronted with a pic of said dog, you then launch into a convoluted theory that somehow according to you the mentioned dog isn't a pitbull because it doesn't meet standards.

Right.....Thats just gotta be the dumbest thing I have read on this forum.

The statistics on fatal dog attacks or even just dog mauling attacks would say otherwise. Are some of them wrongly attributed to pitbulls? surely. But the 10% or so that probably are (if even that high) still arent enough to account for the huge gap.

Everyone else has enough common sense to realize that pit bulls are indeed a very dangerous breed. If you are walking around the neighborhood and a pitbull/labrador mix is running loose and comes up to check you out....its not the labrador part that makes you nervous and wary.

Now that doesn't mean pitbulls don't have uses....they do. Its just that 90% of the people that own them have no business owning them, and for the people that do have a legit reason to own one they should be kenneled or chained, not left to roam around or even in a fenced yard. Its irresponsible.

Pitbulls were bred to fight.....how could you possibly say that they aren't inherently a more dangerous breed.
The dumbest thing on this forum is stating that pit bulls are "dangerous". It's not the breed that is dangerous, it's the morons who abuse their dogs, fight their dogs, and torture their dogs for money...but it's so much easier for the ignorant to blame the dog.

Old 12-29-2014, 11:51 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,623,058 times
Quote:
The dumbest thing on this forum is stating that pit bulls are "dangerous". It's not the breed that is dangerous, it's the morons who abuse their dogs, fight their dogs, and torture their dogs for money...but it's so much easier for the ignorant to blame the dog.
Ya know...I was with you on this, up just recently. After doing a little reading and examining a couple things I hadn't taken Intl account, I ha e changed my stance a little. I agree about idiot owners, but everything I could find ,data wise, , shows the breed AND poor ownership to be exacerbating factors.

The breed, itself, is not far enough removed from its fighting roots, so the dogs are easily turned to violent instincts, and KT need not be anything violent, per se, that triggers that instinct. From loving, big baby , pet, to ripping off limbs, has been the case in far to many instances I found. And the greatest percentage, by far, of these were Pit type animals. 89% actually. I was rather shocked by this.

I'm left not being 100% sure as to what I think about Pits now. I've never liked them as a choice for a pet, mainly based on looks. I like sled dog and herd dog types, but I'm considering other factors now. I'm finding it hard to argue with so much data. There are lots of things to factor in to all that, so I'm far from saying , concretely, that the breed is just bad. But, they do account for the lions share of fatal and crippling attacks , both on humans and other dogs.

Old 12-30-2014, 07:30 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,223,846 times
Here is a news report and an interview with the wife:

Pit bull kills owner - ABC57 News - See the Difference Michiana

Old 12-30-2014, 07:57 AM

969 posts, read 2,852,002 times
The "wife" states in her interview (with a happy face) that his dogs were everything to him - and that he might have been playing "keep away" with some new bones. "Keep away" with a dog with guarding issues (REGARDLESS OF THE BREED) is a moronic owner. The dog already had a "history" of issues - warned the owners before that what was his - was his. And the owner chose to ignore what EIGHT YEARS should have told him.
The "breed" issue is really not the issue.
As stated previously - the names they chose for these dogs tell a LOT. "Fat Boy" and "Keylo"?? - Must have skipped on using "Blunt" for a name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events