Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 04:35 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,111,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Sorry bout that. My phone doesn't post links to well. Or pics. That site I tried to link I found on Google. It has a lot of different studies and opinions on this. Some of what I found really surprised me. Breeds that have bad reps I had never even heard of.
I've read that site. The pit bull advocates usually get pretty frothy when someone brings it up. I was actually pretty surprised when you didn't get flamed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 07:11 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I've read that site. The pit bull advocates usually get pretty frothy when someone brings it up. I was actually pretty surprised when you didn't get flamed.
Lol...yea..shoot the messenger right? But, I've never really taken an "anti pit" stance on the many threads there have been on this either. I don't, personally, care for the breed, but that's more of a personality /lifestyle thing. They just don't...fit..with me. At any rate, k thought that site was informative. I got a lot out of it that put me to thinking. ,

Personally, I will stick to pointy eared,long nosed type dogs. My next will be a Corgie. They only attack tennis balls.

Last edited by NVplumber; 12-30-2014 at 07:20 PM..

Old 12-30-2014, 08:37 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradykp View Post
not to mention that there's no such breed as a "pit bull".
Of course there is.

American Pit Bull Terrier, Pit Bulls, Pitbulls

Old 12-30-2014, 08:40 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
If that photo is supposed to be of the dog, (I didn't listen to the video, newscaster annoy the crap out of me), that is not a pit bull.
It certainly is.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:13 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,025,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Here is a news report and an interview with the wife:

Pit bull kills owner - ABC57 News - See the Difference Michiana
Aw, it was an accident. The nice little pit bull was just playing with it's owner.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:22 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,275,484 times
Maybe the precious little thing didn't get the chew toy it wanted for Christmas and decided the owner would do in a pinch.

Old 12-31-2014, 06:22 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,619,989 times
This guys wife is a piece of work. So, they gave the dogs bones, next order up was human meat. Interesting. After seeing the dogs pic, I can say, I wouldn't ha e wanted anything to do with it. Head like an anvil.

Old 12-31-2014, 07:13 AM

969 posts, read 2,851,610 times
Not to continue to beat the proverbial "dead horse" but the point of my objection to ALL the "PITBULL" Dog Bite drame blame game is that MOST of the dogs ID'd as "PITBULLS" by the media (and therefore the public) are mixes at best - and bred by BYB (back yard breeders) who are not breeding for nice pets (like Petey from Our Gang)
See the attached poster - and ID the "Pitbull" if you can
https://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...&hsimp=yhs-001

Old 12-31-2014, 07:39 AM

25,947 posts, read 22,098,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Actually I was not talking about pit apologists doing it in this particular instance, just that it is a trend among them to do so. For instance one of the famous/infamous cases was when a woman named Darla Napora and her baby were killed by the families pitbull. This woman was not only like a typical pit apologist that comes on forums and proclaim "pitbulls are like any other dog", but she was active in promoting the breed, and fighting against any legislation to outlaw it. Her organization [BADRAP] was dedicated to pitbull propaganda, espousing the typical tripe about how it is always the owners fault, never the pitbull.
Yet one day her husband came home to find their male pitbull covered in his families blood. This nutjob not only said it was not the dogs fault, but tried to keep it from being euthnized.
Then to top of the insanity, he decided that he was going to bury the remains of their dog with his wife and baby all together, "because she would have wanted it that way"!
Yet her fellow pit apologists from BADRAP initially tried to make it sound like Darla was killed from a fall and the pitbull was just trying to save her {I guess it was trying to perform CPR on her with it's teeth by riping open her neck to help inflate her lungs}
Anyway, after the autopsy report showed the cause of death was not due to a fall, rather from massive tissue damage by the pitbull, her own people turned on her saying it must have been her own fault, not the dogs.
Keep in mind that these loons raised the dogs from puppies, and supposedly understood the breed better than most other uninformed nitwits. Yet she still was killed by her own pitbull.
So this is but one of many examples where the typical excuses meant to obfuscate the real dangers of pitbulls did not apply. Yet that did not stop the nutters from trying to blame the human rather than the breed.

BTW- You go on in other posts attributing my comment to the wrong poster.

Are you being obtuse or are you genuinely that naïve?
There are enumerable stories/posts/threads where I and others give examples of how this breed is uniquely dangerous compared with most other breeds of dogs.

Here is a long running CD thread with all sorts of info/links/stats to back up how this breed is a menace, vs. the pit apologists who irrationally defend the breed.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/curre...ull-story.html

I am not going to go into great detail as you can read other posts of mine and others that are more extensive.
However I will point out that the pittbull was originally bred to bait bulls which entailed breeding into it an ability to not fear a much larger animal. It will latch onto it and tenaciously not let go, all the while ignoring it's own survival instinct when it was in pain/injured. That is one of the reasons it is so hard to get them to disengage an attack, unlike most other breeds.

I guarantee you that until you try to beat a pitbull off another pet or person, you have no clue what these dogs are like. Furthermore, even looking at gruesome pictures of pitbull mauling's, it is no substitute for a proper understanding. Until you see it in person, it is far too easy to sit in comfort, pontificating about things you know little to nothing about.
But do yourself a favor, and read the linked thread if you genuinely want an education.

`
We had two come after our dogs when we were walking. It was nothing like what we had experienced with other breeds. And, yes, they were definitely pits and the family was in the yard watching as I used a stun gun to keep the pair from the necks of my dogs and they were, thank God, younger dogs probably under a year old or I don't think my dogs would be alive today. We have a pit problem here related to the illegal immigrant situation. Dog bites per month are very high. If I see one, I demand that animal control come and get it picked up and I don't care whose dog it is. The animal control facility is full of pits here.

These dogs are not taught to be aggressive nor does their treatment make them aggressive. They are born with aggressive traits and that has to be trained out. I am familiar with chows and their biting issue and you don't train to bite, you train them not to bite.

I, too, am glad that the owner was the one that was killed and that this dangerous dog will no longer be a threat to the owner. This is not an isolated case.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:02 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,024,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
This is in direct conflict with other sources.www.dogs bite.org is a good one. Though the "Pit Bull Terrier" is not really tho dog in question, so much as a mongrel mix that seems to be in vouge. The dogs your link shows are more the dog in front of the phonograph type, of yore. And no, they are not prone to violence.
Colleen Lynn's website could NOT be more biased or agenda-driven......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events