Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2014, 08:55 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,618,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasonville View Post
The "wife" states in her interview (with a happy face) that his dogs were everything to him - and that he might have been playing "keep away" with some new bones. "Keep away" with a dog with guarding issues (REGARDLESS OF THE BREED) is a moronic owner. The dog already had a "history" of issues - warned the owners before that what was his - was his. And the owner chose to ignore what EIGHT YEARS should have told him.
The "breed" issue is really not the issue.
As stated previously - the names they chose for these dogs tell a LOT. "Fat Boy" and "Keylo"?? - Must have skipped on using "Blunt" for a name.
Much of what you say has merit. Owners , of any animal, should be VERY familiar with personality quirks. I grew up and have spent much of my life , handling animals. Horses, in particular, but I have raised and owned a few(just a few lol) dogs as well. Era h and every critter had to be handled within individual guidelines. Ohhhhh....the things I've dealt with! A horse will kill you, with one , instinctive, blow, for violating certain rules. Finding those rules and establishing them, without GETTING killed, is the trick.
The same can be said for dogs, though this process is taken far to much for granted, it seems. "Rescue animals" ring my Red Radar up. That's not like a puppy, or a young colt or filly, that you have interacted with from day one. You have zero clue what such an animal has been through and self conditioned itself to be. This is one of those big variables I mentioned last night. As it relates to these dogs in question, there are just SO many of them, as opposed to other breeds, that can be counted as a huge factor in considering attacks.

Well intentioned "rescuers", also count for a good number of people who get mauled or have dogs that attack others, as well. It takes far more than a good heart and good intentions to handle abused animals, and one also need to know when to give up, understand why, and what that means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 10:11 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,359,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWG223 View Post
You blame the dog. ..without knowing the owner? That seems unfair and presumptuous. Trash is attracted to those dogs sadly and they are responsible for training this aggression into them, more so than other breeds. When is the last time you passed a drug house with a Lab or golden retriever out front?
Alwaaaaaays an excuse from the pit bull crowd. Doesnt matter how the dog was raised... in a loving home or a drug house, they snap and go berserk. We've all seen it a hundred times, and its getting really, really old. Pit bull defenders always have an excuse. Why cant you just admit that you own/defend a potentially dangerous dog? Simple as that. Admit that pit bulls can be dangerous, regardless how they were raised!

Heck, Id love to own a mountain lion. I really would. But knowing that it could snap and kill me or a neighbor prevents me from ever owning one (besides laws). Why? Because its not worth the risk. And if it got out and mauled my neighbor, I would have noone to blame but myself, and I would own up to it. Pit bull apologists have a very hard time owning up to what their dogs do.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:52 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,347 times
The problem with this kind of dog(which could more accurately be described as a "street bull" or "bull mongrel" than a proper pit bull, which would look more like Spuds Mackenzie) is that all too often people get these dogs as a thug life fashion statement or for street cred, instead of as a pet. It has become the standard dog to own for a large and growing segment of our population. Whatever you think of the temperament of these dogs, it is obvious that they are big, and they are powerful and physically they are built for fighting. There is simply no room for error when it comes to these dogs. They may be perfectly fine in the right environment and with the right training, but personally I would not trust my children around a dog that can be so unpredictable and dangerous outside of a narrow set of circumstances.

These dogs should not be owned by people who are not willing to put a lot of time and effort into making sure the dog is raised and trained properly, and should only be owned by people with children in the most controlled of environments and with owners that are specifically trained in dealing with that breed/mix. With that being said, these dogs are here to stay and it is going to be tough to stop them from gaining more prominence in our neighborhoods as time goes on. We've already had one poster on this thread bring up the specter of racism when it comes to opponents of these dogs, which means it becomes a matter of political correctness and emotion more than a matter of rational analysis.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:31 AM

2,465 posts, read 2,760,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
If that photo is supposed to be of the dog, (I didn't listen to the video, newscaster annoy the crap out of me), that is not a pit bull.
Looks like a Cane Corso or similar to me. I volunteer in shelters and have yet to come across an 80 pound pittie other than ones that are waaay overfed.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
The problem with this kind of dog(which could more accurately be described as a "street bull" or "bull mongrel" than a proper pit bull, which would look more like Spuds Mackenzie) is that all too often people get these dogs as a thug life fashion statement or for street cred, instead of as a pet. It has become the standard dog to own for a large and growing segment of our population. Whatever you think of the temperament of these dogs, it is obvious that they are big, and they are powerful and physically they are built for fighting. There is simply no room for error when it comes to these dogs. They may be perfectly fine in the right environment and with the right training, but personally I would not trust my children around a dog that can be so unpredictable and dangerous outside of a narrow set of circumstances.

These dogs should not be owned by people who are not willing to put a lot of time and effort into making sure the dog is raised and trained properly, and should only be owned by people with children in the most controlled of environments and with owners that are specifically trained in dealing with that breed/mix. With that being said, these dogs are here to stay and it is going to be tough to stop them from gaining more prominence in our neighborhoods as time goes on. We've already had one poster on this thread bring up the specter of racism when it comes to opponents of these dogs, which means it becomes a matter of political correctness and emotion more than a matter of rational analysis.
Other than the friggin race card I'm in agreement with much of what you say. Gunpowder fed, Mongrel animals cross ALL lines of society. Even "respectable" types have them as ...deterant . Still, I stand by my previous posts. IMHO, "rescue animals " , who have reached adulthood, ate slow fused grenades, being handled by school children. They should be "demiled". Yes...put down.

Put your hearts away and think with your heads, people. Is it a shame? Yes! But it is what must be done. Nobody has a right to put others at risk because their heart won't allow them to do what MUST be done. Some animals cannot be saved. There are to many REAL good ones out there, to worry so much about bad ones...even if they are that way through no fault of their own.

Its just IS!!! I have had to put down a LOT of bad animals. I would rather have done this than see them hurt or kill someone, which I have seen happen, because of too tender hearts. Don't even deal with animals at all of your heart can't hack it. Keep fish!!! Strong, powerful and aggressive animals have no place in the "pet" world. Horses are NOT pets. Not at all. They are working animals, and require special skill and know how to handle....just like large, powerful dogs.

I knew a horse once, who I warned the people to just put a bullet in. He seriously injured their daughter, and went on to kill a 12 year old girl when they hadn't the heart to LISTEN. They lost everything because they couldn't be practical, and realize that this was just a ruined animal, at the end of the day. No more useful, in any way, than old gunpowder.

Maybe, amongst those with no clue, this is unthinkable. To them, I say, keep fish!! Not dogs, horses or even cats. Someone else is just going to have to do your dirty work for you. Signed...someone who has had to. NV

Old 12-30-2014, 11:52 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Much of what you say has merit. Owners , of any animal, should be VERY familiar with personality quirks. I grew up and have spent much of my life , handling animals. Horses, in particular, but I have raised and owned a few(just a few lol) dogs as well. Era h and every critter had to be handled within individual guidelines. Ohhhhh....the things I've dealt with! A horse will kill you, with one , instinctive, blow, for violating certain rules. Finding those rules and establishing them, without GETTING killed, is the trick.
The same can be said for dogs, though this process is taken far to much for granted, it seems. "Rescue animals" ring my Red Radar up. That's not like a puppy, or a young colt or filly, that you have interacted with from day one. You have zero clue what such an animal has been through and self conditioned itself to be. This is one of those big variables I mentioned last night. As it relates to these dogs in question, there are just SO many of them, as opposed to other breeds, that can be counted as a huge factor in considering attacks.

Well intentioned "rescuers", also count for a good number of people who get mauled or have dogs that attack others, as well. It takes far more than a good heart and good intentions to handle abused animals, and one also need to know when to give up, understand why, and what that means.
I cant agree more. I have also raised a few horses and cared for other peoples. They each have an individual personality just like dogs or any other animal. If your going to handle any animal you have got to know them. I would not let young children around any of my animals unsupervised.

I have rescued a few in my day as well. A couple had to go due to aggression issues. Recently I was looking at an adult male intact GSD. He was described as not good around children or small dogs or cats, somewhat nervous around people especially men and growls when cornered. I'm praying the owner is very, very careful who he/she lets this dog go to.

As far as the playing keep a way, there are certain "games" I don't allow people to play with my dogs (pit and GSD), tug and keep a way are two. They can play fetch and find the ball all day long though.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:58 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,833,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed hour View Post
Looks like a Cane Corso or similar to me. I volunteer in shelters and have yet to come across an 80 pound pittie other than ones that are waaay overfed.
My staff, who should be at ~35lb, is waay overfed and he still wont go 80lbs. I'm working on the diet but there are forces working against me.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I cant agree more. I have also raised a few horses and cared for other peoples. They each have an individual personality just like dogs or any other animal. If your going to handle any animal you have got to know them. I would not let young children around any of my animals unsupervised.

I have rescued a few in my day as well. A couple had to go due to aggression issues. Recently I was looking at an adult male intact GSD. He was described as not good around children or small dogs or cats, somewhat nervous around people especially men and growls when cornered. I'm praying the owner is very, very careful who he/she lets this dog go to.

As far as the playing keep a way, there are certain "games" I don't allow people to play with my dogs (pit and GSD), tug and keep a way are two. They can play fetch and find the ball all day long though.
Well .2mares, you have a clue. I would lol if I thought this an amusing issue. I have dealt with highly dangerous animals. Bulls, stud horses, boar hogs , etc. I do not think the average person, well intentioned they may be, really GETS it. Working with animals is rough work. Dangerous, unpredictable, DEADLY. does anyone know where meat comes from anymore?! And what it takes to get it to Safeway or wtfe?

Dogs are worse. People think they can "change" an animal that has been raised a killer. Like this critter gets it. Ohhhhh! Poor baby! I'm your FRIEND!! . Yea..that animal understands good intentions and a good heart. An animal responds go stimulus. It reacts. It does not feel ones intentions. A lot of people think they do. They don't.

This is foolish and way to touchy feely. If you are one of these....leave animals be.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:28 PM

1,669 posts, read 2,242,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Alwaaaaaays an excuse from the pit bull crowd. Doesnt matter how the dog was raised... in a loving home or a drug house, they snap and go berserk.
Alwaaaaays a knee-jerk reply from the uninformed. Do everyone a favor and read up on the facts from the experts. Or, you know, keep espousing factually vacant ideas based on fear and ignorance. It's your life.

http://www.yourspca.org/pages/bred-t...-bull-terriers

Old 12-30-2014, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardspock View Post
Alwaaaaays a knee-jerk reply from the uninformed. Do everyone a favor and read up on the facts from the experts. Or, you know, keep espousing factually vacant ideas based on fear and ignorance. It's your life.

Dispelling Common Myths About Pit Bull Terriers - SPCA Serving Erie County
This is in direct conflict with other sources.www.dogs bite.org is a good one. Though the "Pit Bull Terrier" is not really tho dog in question, so much as a mongrel mix that seems to be in vouge. The dogs your link shows are more the dog in front of the phonograph type, of yore. And no, they are not prone to violence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events