Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2015, 12:34 PM

13,006 posts, read 18,931,239 times

Advertisements

Some question the wisdom of allowing the Police to do high speed chases. Certainly not justified in this case, even if it didn't result in fatality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2015, 12:41 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,152,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Read what article? The article in the OP says the brothers were doing the shooting. They were not shot at. Their lives were not put in danger.

But, whatever. This will either deter car thieves working for the Mexican market, or it will cause them to start carrying submachine guns.
There is a News Report video of an officer reporting the accomplice was the first to start shooting. The brothers returned fire. They were all 3 traveling at high speed, its reasonable to assume. Everyones life was always in danger. Even the criminals, if something as mundane as a tire blowing out would have happened during that.

They could have ditched the vehicle when they knew they had been caught red handed, but it is reported they pushed it to the limits instead - the criminals did.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:35 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,043,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
There is a News Report video of an officer reporting the accomplice was the first to start shooting. The brothers returned fire. They were all 3 traveling at high speed, its reasonable to assume. Everyones life was always in danger. Even the criminals, if something as mundane as a tire blowing out would have happened during that.

They could have ditched the vehicle when they knew they had been caught red handed, but it is reported they pushed it to the limits instead - the criminals did.
But..But..but (he says spitting and sputtering) "they would have never been shot at had the brothers not chased the truck to begin with, and they certainly should have stopped the minute the shooting started".
Doesn't everyone know that the police are trained and the only people who are supposed to shoot?

Just thought I'd post this up before someone else jumped in because you KNOW that's coming. Not that the whole thing could've been avoided had the crooks kept their hands to themselves and would most likely still be breathing had one not started the shooting.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:13 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,791,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
If they are in your car and stealing it, they may choose to run you down.

You have a right to defend yourself an in such situations and it is absolutely reasonable, to kill the

criminal.
"they may choose to run you down" .... wow, you're just itchin for any excuse to use your gun, aren't

you, regardless of whether they actually show any aggressive behavior towards you or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
Do you believe everyone should be required to wait until Criminals shoot you first ??
In my scenario, I say they don't point a gun at you and they don't assault you or threaten to assault you. All they are doing is stealing your car. You feel it is reasonable for you to kill them for this?
Quote:
Sorry, but I have zero sympathy for criminals who take a bullet in the course of committing crimes. Society is far better without them, IMHO.
Let's say some teenagers or college students are playing a prank or doing a dare, one of them goes into a grocery store and steals a candy bar. You feel it is reasonable to kill him or her for this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Let's say you have a man who has gone through some tough financial times. He is truly on the brink of losing his home. Let's say he does work that requires him to have a truck, we'll go with him building residential fences. If someone were to steal his truck, it could literally mean that he and his family will be out on the streets. I could say that it is reasonable for him to shoot a thief to avoid having his truck stolen.
What about this: a man or a woman is down on their luck and they are starving. They see a loaf of bread in the bakery window and they steal it. Do you feel it is reasonable to kill them for this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
This is about defending property. Under the law, it's reasonable to use lethal force.
I'm not asking whether it's legal. I'm asking whether it's reasonable to kill someone for stealing.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:18 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,791,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnd393 View Post
What's so very dangerous about guns is so many people who are very quick to justify deadly force against another human being. They seem to fantasize for the opportunity to use their gun against a bad guy. When armed and presented with a situation like this, it is not the time to be driven by your ego.
Well said. Much better or more succintly said that what I've been trying to get across.

Old 02-14-2015, 08:35 PM

7 posts, read 5,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Some question the wisdom of allowing the Police to do high speed chases. Certainly not justified in this case, even if it didn't result in fatality.
When the police go to school, the teachers tell them to avoid most high speed chases. The risk is more costly than the need to go after the criminal. "Only when absolutely necessary." The movies are Hollywood, people get killed in car chases.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:16 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,579,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I watched this on my local news tonight. A car thief was in the process of stealing a truck with the help of an accomplice in another vehicle. When he started the truck up the alarm went off, the truck's owner and his brother heard the alarm, and came outside. They followed him and shot the car thief, killing him. An accomplice escaped in another vehicle. I'm not sure how I feel about the brothers' actions toward the thief. What are your thoughts?

Brothers chase down car thieves, shoot & kill 1 suspect | News - Home
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Auto theft is a dangerous business. Gunshot wounds are an occupational hazard.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
"they may choose to run you down" .... wow, you're just itchin for any excuse to use your gun, aren't

you, regardless of whether they actually show any aggressive behavior towards you or not.

In my scenario, I say they don't point a gun at you and they don't assault you or threaten to assault you. All they are doing is stealing your car. You feel it is reasonable for you to kill them for this?
Let's say some teenagers or college students are playing a prank or doing a dare, one of them goes into a grocery store and steals a candy bar. You feel it is reasonable to kill him or her for this?

What about this: a man or a woman is down on their luck and they are starving. They see a loaf of bread in the bakery window and they steal it. Do you feel it is reasonable to kill them for this?

I'm not asking whether it's legal. I'm asking whether it's reasonable to kill someone for stealing.
You forgot to include, "when the theif starts shooting at you?"

Is it reasonable to kill someone for stealing when the theives start shooting at you? Wait! Doesnt the crime change from theft to attempted murder when the theif produces a gun and starts firing in your direction??

*ponders*

Old 02-15-2015, 06:52 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,688,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
"they may choose to run you down" .... wow, you're just itchin for any excuse to use your gun, aren't you, regardless of whether they actually show any aggressive behavior towards you or not.
Nope. I'm responding to the fallacious arguments & statements that you keep making. i.e. Nobody "is itchin" to use a gun" except for criminals. Criminals that you seek to defend while blaming the victims. Period.

It's the criminals who are responsible for their deaths when they made the choice to commit a violent crime against these brothers. No honest law abiding citizen is "itching" to use a gun against someone, but at least in Texas they are allowed to do so to defend themselves and their property.

Old 02-15-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
But..But..but (he says spitting and sputtering) "they would have never been shot at had the brothers not chased the truck to begin with, and they certainly should have stopped the minute the shooting started".
Doesn't everyone know that the police are trained and the only people who are supposed to shoot?

Just thought I'd post this up before someone else jumped in because you KNOW that's coming. Not that the whole thing could've been avoided had the crooks kept their hands to themselves and would most likely still be breathing had one not started the shooting.
Im getting your sarcasm quite clearly. The thing is - most skim readers and keyword jumpers wont.

For that matter, as a society, don't we get mad when the cops kill a criminal too? Yep - they dont have a right to defend themselves either.

I guess everyone needs to leave the criminals alone. Just let them do what they want to do, and shoot at who they want to shoot at. Afterall, we can clearly see no one cares that they used a gun to try to defend themselves - its just the cops and law-abiding citizens doing it that cant be tolerated.

Funny thing is, the brothers were at home that night minding their own business, and look where it got them? Ah, the irony of it all. What a crazy world, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events