Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 12:03 PM

102,323 posts, read 108,515,277 times

Advertisements

42 pages, and there's no more news on this case? Has everyone lawyered up? Is there a court date set? Any results from the police investigation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 05:10 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,757,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
Good guess My answer is not needed then
So your description of someone who owns a gun for self defense is "gun nut"?

If so, would you call these people who defended themselves today "gun nuts"?

Authorities: Homeowner shoots, kills intruder in Catawba County

Old 02-23-2015, 05:30 PM

12,994 posts, read 9,723,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
If you are not religious at all, I suppose it is okay to shoot someone dead stealing a material item from you, or you could give chase and call 911 or the police and just keep following until the police handles it hopefully without anyone dying. Sorry, to go against the grain, but I am religious and adhere to, "thou shall not kill". I don't infringe upon other people's beliefs though, just need to keep my religion in tact, so I can't condone a murder like that over a truck. I don't think there are many religious people left, so I suspect I would be very much alone. Most people would prefer killing others over material items. Just the very violent world we live in these days. Kind of sad, but it is only going to get worse and worse and I suspect churches will all be gone pretty soon. Kids are learning to kill on Xbox and watching TV at very young ages, so the 10 commandments are pretty much gone for good.

Enjoy life all. Wishing everyone the best and I hope some people find peace someday, but I don't think most any will.
You are not alone on how you feel about it or how you would handle it. I wont be chasing after anyone if they steal my vehicle. I mean if they are bold enough to do that, then they are capable of almost anything. I'll just call 911 and my insurance company. I'm sure there are dozens of more would be thief out there to replace the guy they shot dead. I simply wont do that, let them have it if they want it that bad. I'll just replace it with better one.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:36 PM

2,573 posts, read 3,513,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
So your description of someone who owns a gun for self defense is "gun nut"?

If so, would you call these people who defended themselves today "gun nuts"?

Authorities: Homeowner shoots, kills intruder in Catawba County

In case of homeowner he did the right thing by shooting him or them. He's no gun nut. He used the gun for what they are. It's clear his life probably was in danger for no reason. Also it was safe in the sense no innocent person was going to be involved in the situation. He called police as well and this was last resort.

A gun nut is who thinks he can handle situation better (than a cop) and do not worry about calling police (And does not believe in avoiding situations that can easily be avoided). For example the case of so called road rage victim Mrs Tammy Myers. She went back with a gun looking for trouble. Somewhat similar with these guys. Someone stole their truck. They thought they would chase these guys and settle the matter because they had gun. OK. Now imagine in their wild filmy shooting (doesn't matter who started) someone other than these two parties get shot. Then what? How would have these guys settled that? or you just say - it happens bad luck.

You have your opinion I have mine.

Old 02-23-2015, 07:22 PM

18,163 posts, read 15,689,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
42 pages, and there's no more news on this case? Has everyone lawyered up? Is there a court date set? Any results from the police investigation?
My thoughts as well. I'm still wondering if this was a repo gone bad. It seems possible.

Old 02-23-2015, 10:07 PM

10,187 posts, read 20,835,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Except it was described as a "show truck" not a "POS truck" AND the thief pointed a gun at the brothers prior to the shooting.

So, given the facts it wasn't as simple as just stealing some junker and running away. Obviously since at least one of them was carrying a pistol and pointed it at someone they were willing to use force to steal and keep it. Unfortunately (for the thieves) the other guys shot first and hit what they shot at. Cost of doing business in my book...
So calling it a show truck puts less value on a human life? You can call any project car a "show car" if all you're doing is showing it at the local park on Saturdays. If it were a valuable show car, how smart was it to shoot holes in your own truck and splatter blood and brain matter all over the dash?

Even if it were a new $80K Range Rover I don't see the justification in killing someone over it. Not to mention the reckless nature of shooting at a moving vehicle in public.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_1976 View Post
In case of homeowner he did the right thing by shooting him or them. He's no gun nut. He used the gun for what they are. It's clear his life probably was in danger for no reason. Also it was safe in the sense no innocent person was going to be involved in the situation. He called police as well and this was last resort.

A gun nut is who thinks he can handle situation better (than a cop) and do not worry about calling police (And does not believe in avoiding situations that can easily be avoided). .....
You have your opinion I have mine.
Oh I have no problem with this. 99%+ of the legal gun owners out there do not fall into this definition. I appreciate the honest response.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
So calling it a show truck puts less value on a human life? ....
The $ value of the truck is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if it's a $200 hooptie or a $150K Mercedes-Benz. The value judgement of life vs property was made by the criminal, not the victim.

If the criminal loses their life in the act of committing property crime, the fault is theirs and theirs alone. The victim is not at fault as several here seem to think.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:30 AM

10,187 posts, read 20,835,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The $ value of the truck is irrelevant. It doesn't matter if it's a $200 hooptie or a $150K Mercedes-Benz. The value judgement of life vs property was made by the criminal, not the victim.

If the criminal loses their life in the act of committing property crime, the fault is theirs and theirs alone. The victim is not at fault as several here seem to think.
How is the value judgment established by the criminal? You're still saying that a human life is only as valuable as whatever you are willing to steal. If someone owed you $10,000 and told you, "I'm not paying you back, so screw off", and you have no way to sue him or prove the debt, are you going to shoot him? It's essentially the same thing as stealing. Steal a $10K truck or refuse to pay what's owed, it comes down to stealing. Just because there is a voluntary action in the loan, doesn't make it any less of a loss on your part. Either way you are out $10K, but for one reason it is ok to kill someone, but not for the other. Keep in mind, your life isn't in danger in either scenario.

Old 02-24-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
How is the value judgment established by the criminal? ....
By choosing to steal the vehicle. He decides to bet his life, freedom, etc against the value of the vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events