Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2015, 11:48 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,822,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I think the vast majority who might read this would be troubled there is someone who offers up every consideration, benefit of the doubt and courtesy to criminals committing violent crime.
stealing something (when there is no physical assault involved) is not violent crime
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2015, 12:51 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,786,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
stealing something (when there is no physical assault involved) is not violent crime
Not according to the FBI.

Old 02-19-2015, 12:55 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,612,668 times
Lol, who kills someone just for stealing their vehicle? Trigger happy gun fondling nutjobs, that's who. Would I be angry & want to shoot them? Sure, but would I actually do it? Uh, no. I'm not a nutjob. Your life isn't in danger nor is your families, I don't see how any sane rational person could justify this.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I could care less, if someone is on my property stealing my property I should have the right to shoot them.
This is completely unreasonable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If a couple of characters who look like thugs pull up in your driveway while your unloading your groceries yelling "Gimme your keys!!", I'll definitely feel good about shooting them in response to this "inferred" violence.
No, if a couple guys pull up and yell at me, I'll look them over. If I don't see any weapons, then I don't have a problem getting into a fistfight with them. Or perhaps I will brandish a crowbar or something, but NOT USE IT, in order to avoid getting physical. In the vast majority of cases, there's a LOT you can do to prevent crime without actually USING deadly force. Am I right? Yes, I am.
In my life, I've been assaulted several times when I was minding my own business ( a result of living in the neighborhood I did.) In no case did I ever use deadly force in order to resolve the situation. Let me give you an example. One time I was parked in my car at night in a parking lot. A guy came up to the passenger door, opened it, got in, punched me in the face, put his hand on my chest to hold me still, and put his hands in my pockets to try and find my wallet. so, what I did was put my elbow in his face. At this point he's sitting in the car and I'm sitting in the car and neither of us has any leverage to get the upper hand on the other. We can't fight, all we could possibly do is just struggle and wrestle without getting anywhere. In my mind this has the potential to be a long drawn thing, and I don't feel like sitting in my car with this guy for a long time, so I reach under my seat and pull out my crowbar. As soon as he sees this, he lets go of me and gets out of my car and starts walking away (without my wallet). But as he's walking he keeps talking cr*p to me, which pisses me off, so I get out with crowbar in hand and start walking after him. Not because I am going to use it, but to intimidate him. So he starts trotting away faster. Good, point made, I stop, get back in my car and go. That's it. All I needed to do was show a crowbar to put a stop to him. I didn't need to hit him with it and I certainly didn't need to pull out a gun and shoot him.
most of the time you can do something like this and it will get the result you want without hurting anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Not according to the FBI.
According to common sense.

Old 02-19-2015, 01:55 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,786,439 times
Quote:

Car jacking is a violent crime, no matter how you try to spin it.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:52 AM

4,257 posts, read 3,805,879 times
80skeys, you think of it as unreasonable..eh, death for stealing, yes I can see how it sounds unreasonable. Whats unreasonable in my opinion though is someone on my property trying to steal something I own. Lets not get crazy here, if they are a couple of teenagers stealing a garden knome off the grass, not a big deal. You try to steal a car, that different. People that steal cars are usually more ballsy or have nothing to lose which equals a threat to me and my family. Id rather not take a chance. Its not like I would shoot a door to door salesman if they came on my property, I would be shooting a criminal which in turn could not only potentially save my families life (god forbid they decided to break into the house too) but id also be getting this scum off the streets.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:20 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,727,745 times
Quote:
No, if a couple guys pull up and yell at me, I'll look them over. If I don't see any weapons, then I don't have a problem getting into a fistfight with them.
Then they pull out the gun from the small of their back, shoot you dead and take your car or they beat you to the ground and kick you in the head until your dead or a vegetable.

It's funny that when a person goes to steal your car from you in your driveway that you will only match their escalations.

Like we've said, if you want to give the thief the benefit of the doubt and wait to see what they do to you, that is your business.

In the situation above, I will pull my gun and stop the threat, and I will only pull my gun if I need to pull the trigger. A gun is not a warning, a gun is to stop the threat center mass.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:22 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,118,185 times
Quote:
This is completely unreasonable.

No, if a couple guys pull up and yell at me, I'll look them over. If I don't see any weapons, then I don't have a problem getting into a fistfight with them. Or perhaps I will brandish a crowbar or something, but NOT USE IT, in order to avoid getting physical. In the vast majority of cases, there's a LOT you can do to prevent crime without actually USING deadly force. Am I right? Yes, I am.
In my life, I've been assaulted several times when I was minding my own business ( a result of living in the neighborhood I did.) In no case did I ever use deadly force in order to resolve the situation. Let me give you an example. One time I was parked in my car at night in a parking lot. A guy came up to the passenger door, opened it, got in, punched me in the face, put his hand on my chest to hold me still, and put his hands in my pockets to try and find my wallet. so, what I did was put my elbow in his face. At this point he's sitting in the car and I'm sitting in the car and neither of us has any leverage to get the upper hand on the other. We can't fight, all we could possibly do is just struggle and wrestle without getting anywhere. In my mind this has the potential to be a long drawn thing, and I don't feel like sitting in my car with this guy for a long time, so I reach under my seat and pull out my crowbar. As soon as he sees this, he lets go of me and gets out of my car and starts walking away (without my wallet). But as he's walking he keeps talking cr*p to me, which pisses me off, so I get out with crowbar in hand and start walking after him. Not because I am going to use it, but to intimidate him. So he starts trotting away faster. Good, point made, I stop, get back in my car and go. That's it. All I needed to do was show a crowbar to put a stop to him. I didn't need to hit him with it and I certainly didn't need to pull out a gun and shoot him.
most of the time you can do something like this and it will get the result you want without hurting anyone.

I realize where you live concealed carry is illegal and a permit almost impossible to get not to mention the general bay area is HIGHLY anti-gun (I was born and raised there) so I'm not surprised about the attitude.
What you are missing is two items that add to the story. First off, it turns out it was a "show truck" which would make it way more expensive than a regular old pick up and generally such mods are not insured.
Secondly, the shooting did NOT begin until a gun was pointed at the brothers according to the full news report.
"According to homicide detectives since the incident occurred at night and it was a felony and the fact they were in fear of their life when the driver of the Suburban pointed the gun at them, the case on the two brothers is being referred to the Harris County Grand Jury with no charges."
So, go ahead and bring your crow bar to a gun fight, see if that gets you anywhere.
Source: BROTHERS CHASE AND SHOOT AUTO THIEF - Montgomery County Police Reporter

As an aside, I'd bet you don't realize you are committing a Felony in the state of California by carrying that crowbar under your seat as it's obvious to anyone it's as a weapon... Concealed carry of a firearm is only a Misdemeanor.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
As an aside, I'd bet you don't realize you are committing a Felony in the state of California by carrying that crowbar under your seat as it's obvious to anyone it's as a weapon.
I didn't grow up in California. I wish I had grown up in Sunnyvale, life wouldn't have sucked like it did.

Old 02-23-2015, 08:47 AM

18,005 posts, read 15,702,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I watched this on my local news tonight. A car thief was in the process of stealing a truck with the help of an accomplice in another vehicle. When he started the truck up the alarm went off, the truck's owner and his brother heard the alarm, and came outside. They followed him and shot the car thief, killing him. An accomplice escaped in another vehicle. I'm not sure how I feel about the brothers' actions toward the thief. What are your thoughts?

Brothers chase down car thieves, shoot & kill 1 suspect | News - Home
Here in NV, the law allows use of lethal force to stop a "fleeing felon". The main crux of which is , murder, rape or arson. However, cases have come up with armed robbery, felony theft, and such. Pursuit adds another cunundrum, though. Engaging in a high speed chase and firing out of a vehicle, on public roads, is NOT encouraged. Or condoned.

Under statutes, here, these pair might avoid murder charges, more than likely., actually. But, they would be answering for reckless endangerment, discharge of a firearm from a vehicle.and in a congested area, probably reckless driving, and a slew of others.

I'm wondering, though. This sounds like , perhaps, the "stealing" of the truck may have been a repo. Has the eat marks. If so, then, they are screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events