Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 02:08 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,493,575 times

Advertisements

Do we have any UK folks here who can explain the secondary school system there? As a citizen of the USA I'm not understanding how a child would be sent to any religious school against their will, since our government schools are secular. Having said that, having read the OP and the comments about what would have happened if a Muslim student was sent....etc...etc...I suspect some people think Sikh is Muslim. It's not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 02:57 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,578,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Do we have any UK folks here who can explain the secondary school system there? As a citizen of the USA I'm not understanding how a child would be sent to any religious school against their will, since our government schools are secular. Having said that, having read the OP and the comments about what would have happened if a Muslim student was sent....etc...etc...I suspect some people think Sikh is Muslim. It's not.
OMG I know Sikh is not Muslim, as do most I am sure, the ONLY reason I made that comparison was that Sikh, Islam, Christianity are all different religions and forcing someone of one religion to go to a school they are not a part of especially when they will be singled out is wrong. Whatever religion it is is IRRELEVANT. It doesn't make a difference whether it's a Christian forced to go to a Sikh school, a Sikh forced to go to a Christian school, or a Muslim forced to go to a Jewish school or anyone (atheist included) of any other religion being forced to go to a religious school, it's ALL wrong! I don't see why people are stuck on this issue. Please read the above and try some reading comprehension.

Old 03-15-2015, 04:16 AM

3,886 posts, read 4,538,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
And you know damn well that if it happened to a Muslim that all hell would break loose, and the liberals and Muslims would want to crucify the Christians
What would happen if a child of strict atheists was forced to attend a Christian school?

Old 03-15-2015, 08:00 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,697,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
'Shocked and upset' Christian mother told to send daughter, 11, to Sikh school fears she will become 'isolated'* | Daily Mail Online

Wow...Imagine if a Muslim was forced to go to a Christian school, there'd be outrage and whatever the U.K equivalent of the NAACP is would be up in arms.

This is so wrong I have no words, I feel horrible for the little girl.
I found this quite from the mother very interesting:

"‘In this day and age I could not imagine ever sending my child to a school where she would become a minority."

Does this mother not realize that "in this day and age" millions of children attend schools where they are minorities in some fashion or another?

Is she arguing for segregated schools?

Old 03-15-2015, 08:08 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,372,767 times
Well, I'm against children being taught all sorts of religious things,
usually filled with fear and punishment themes, period....
Christianity included.
And I'm a lover of all saints and teachers, mystics and God.
It screws kids up badly!

Wish they had a regular public school there.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:11 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,421,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
'Shocked and upset' Christian mother told to send daughter, 11, to Sikh school fears she will become 'isolated'* | Daily Mail Online

Wow...Imagine if a Muslim was forced to go to a Christian school, there'd be outrage and whatever the U.K equivalent of the NAACP is would be up in arms.

This is so wrong I have no words, I feel horrible for the little girl.
People would just say something like, 'suck it up, this is a Christian country, blah, blah, blah'. No public school should be religious.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:14 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Muslims would crucify Christians for getting sent to a Sikh school?

This is getting confusing.

Is it really necessary to go through the whole process to explain the obvious to you? If you are that thick let me know, and I will explain. Try to think, it should come to you.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:14 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,434,155 times
Faith school - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Faith schools in fact came about as a reaction from Muslims due to the public (in the US sense, not UK) Christian schools.

Quote:
Faith schools may give priority to applicants who are of the faith school, and specific exemptions from Section 85 of the Equality Act 2010 enable them to do that.[1][2] However, State-funded faith schools must admit other applicants if they cannot fill all of their places and must ensure that their admission arrangements comply with the School Admissions Code.[1][3]
So, yes, a Muslim student may end up in a Christian school if all the spaces in the Christian school are not filled.

A girl on my Birthright trip to Israel was the lone Jew in a Christian school that needed to have places filled. The curriculum is the same as in a normal state-funded school except in religion class, the religion of the school is taught. She and others who were not Christian (including a few Muslims, Sikhs, and atheists) were taught in a separate class that was taught just as the state religion course, which is an overview of all world religions.

Not that big of a deal, really. And I suspect this mom had no problem with the Sikh children being a minority in previous schools her daughter attended.

Old 03-15-2015, 08:16 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,951,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
What would happen if a child of strict atheists was forced to attend a Christian school?

I give up. What???

Old 03-15-2015, 09:50 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
There should be no religious schools.
I agree.
Also, no religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events