Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 09:54 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,781,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
What would happen if a child of strict atheists was forced to attend a Christian school?
I'd be pissed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2015, 10:06 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
One should take the time and actually read the article. There were no seats available in the preferred schools the mother wanted. So the child was placed in the nearest school that had a seat open.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:13 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
And you know damn well that if it happened to a Muslim that all hell would break loose, and the liberals and Muslims would want to crucify the Christians
This is very true, sadly.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:15 AM

1,188 posts, read 1,464,905 times
Sikhs are pretty cool. I bet the kid is stoked to be going there instead of Our Sisters of Perpetual Boredom or whatever her mom wants.

Old 03-15-2015, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Do we have any UK folks here who can explain the secondary school system there? As a citizen of the USA I'm not understanding how a child would be sent to any religious school against their will, since our government schools are secular. Having said that, having read the OP and the comments about what would have happened if a Muslim student was sent....etc...etc...I suspect some people think Sikh is Muslim. It's not.
I am originally from there. The secondary school system is high school which you start at age 11, called 1st year. There is also a high school track that is Grammar School, for kids who score higher on the national exam. It's kind of like an SAT for end of middle school. In addition to this, they had/have govt funded Catholic and Protestant HS as traditionally, England was a Christian country. This was what the British ppl wanted, so to measure them by American standards is rather presumptuous.

In recent years, due to immigration, ppl from other religious backgrounds settled in the UK and started their own religious school. What I wasn't aware of is the fact that (apparently), now some of these religions have their schools paid for by the govt(?).

For those who don't know about the Sikh religion, the men wear the turban to cover hair they don't cut. Some assume means they are Muslim, they are quite the opposite. As a teen, I saw the first big round of them immigrating to the UK to my area. I found them to be respectful, peace loving, gentle people. I would certainly welcome them as friends and neighbors.

As to the lady in the article, it appears her concerns are that as the girls in the school are Sikh, they will naturally want to associate with Sikh girls who share the same beliefs. Perhaps she is also concerned that her child will not have opportunities to develop a social network thru these girls. I can understand this. Sikh schools are known for having high achieving students. The curriculum is the standard UK one found in non Sikh schools. I expect the teachers will push the kids more, as they know that all the parents want their kids to achieve good grades - unlike other UK schools. I tend to think that the high grades and thus schools' ratings are because of cultural expectations, aka, teachers and parents setting the bar high for their kids and not accepting less.

Last edited by RaleighLass; 03-15-2015 at 10:55 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 03-15-2015, 11:02 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Muslims would crucify Christians for getting sent to a Sikh school?

This is getting confusing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Is it really necessary to go through the whole process to explain the obvious to you? If you are that thick let me know, and I will explain. Try to think, it should come to you.
My post employed 'rhetorical sarcasm'. Is it really necessary to go through rhetorical devices to explain the obvious to you? If you are thick, let me know, and I will explain. Try to think, it should come to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
Sikhs are pretty cool. I bet the kid is stoked to be going there instead of Our Sisters of Perpetual Boredom or whatever her mom wants.
I have known some Sikhs. They were pretty cool. I can say the same about Christians I have known. This does not mean being in an all Sikh school somewhere in England would be even remotely cool.

Maybe you have some burning desire to be a SIkh (I hear it is all fun and games) and you would find this situation acceptable if not desirable, but the woman and her daughter in question obviously do not.

Old 03-15-2015, 12:54 PM

387 posts, read 589,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjasse View Post
agree. and indians are typically smarter and more focused when it comes to education. who knows , maybe some good habits could rub off on the kid?

Old 03-15-2015, 12:59 PM

192 posts, read 248,609 times
People here are applying American standards to the UK and Europe. Europe does not have the same interpretation of state and religion. Many state churches for instance are headed by government/monarchs and state schools given subsidies provided they align with a cirriculum. In france 20% of Cahtolic schools are funded by a STATE budget. Sucks when you'r eon the receiving end doesn't it religionists?

Last edited by zetsui; 03-15-2015 at 01:46 PM..

Old 03-15-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error View Post
agree. and indians are typically smarter and more focused when it comes to education. who knows , maybe some good habits could rub off on the kid?
I would say they aren't smarter or less smart as a group compared to Americans. But agree that they are more focused. My Indian friends and colleagues often share how their parents wouldn't allow them either any or much free time as they were expected to spend it studying most nights. They value education, take it very seriously, and for their kids, the bar is set high.

Old 03-15-2015, 01:34 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Mum: ‘In this day and age I could not imagine ever sending my child to a school where she would become a minority.'

Yet that's the reality for most minorities in UK, US and elsewhere . . . irony!

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events