Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 06:48 PM

11,636 posts, read 12,706,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
The way I read this, the mother applied for schools that were "ever so slightly out of the catchment for a number of [their] first choices," and thus presumably could have applied to schools that were "ever so slightly in the catchment". Had she done that, the daughter would most likely not be 'losing out'.

Where am I missing something here?
You're not missing anything and I agree with you that the mother screwed up. My original point was that public education should not have an association with any religious practice. But that's not how it is in a good chunk of the world, especially in countries where there is a designated "state" religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2015, 06:54 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,383,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Um, they do? And by the way, what do you mean by regular public school?
The US is the only country with "regular" public schools?
Sorry didn't mean for you to have to hit your head.
I should have said it this way...I wish there was a public school nearby
the parents
could or would like to send her to.
I hope that pleases you more.

Old 03-16-2015, 07:25 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove42 View Post
'Shocked and upset' Christian mother told to send daughter, 11, to Sikh school fears she will become 'isolated'* | Daily Mail Online

Wow...Imagine if a Muslim was forced to go to a Christian school, there'd be outrage and whatever the U.K equivalent of the NAACP is would be up in arms.

This is so wrong I have no words, I feel horrible for the little girl.
There is a huge difference. If a Muslim immigrates to the U.S. or U.K. they are coming in as a minority. That is the program, part of moving somewhere to get a better life. It is entirely different when a member of the majority is forced to go to school as a very isolated minority. Fine if it's safe, such as a Christian going to a mostly Jewish school.

Safety and acceptance by the "minority as majority" is the question.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:14 PM

85 posts, read 155,426 times
The assumption that a Sikh school wouldn't be safe for a Christian to attend is based on what, precisely?

And she isn't being forced to attend; there's a secular state school that has spaces available. It's further from her home, but it's there.

Look, the idea of a formal religious component to any school makes me twitch; I grew up with it, and it wasn't a good fit. But if I were this kid's mom, I'd be more concerned about the OFSTED reports and the number of times the police were called out to either school.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:22 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
First, the Sikh religion is based in many Christian values. Muslim and Sikh are not the same.

As Lucy stated, the mother can send the child to a secular school so it is really a non issue.

Old 03-16-2015, 09:46 PM

8,078 posts, read 7,440,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
This is the UK equivalent of "school vouchers". The beef is the same as in the US - "Why should I have to pay double for my kids' educations - once through my taxes, and again through my tuition payments to (Catholic/Anglican/Muslim/etc.) school?"
Again, I'm so thankful for July 4, 1776. Even with "school vouchers" (or clerical errors by the parents), in the U.S. no child is forced into a religious school by the government.

And the parents in the U.S. complaining about double tuition/taxation are middle class, but they usually don't qualify for vouchers anyway so they (or should I say "we"!) just go on complaining.

Old 03-16-2015, 10:36 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,023,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I am originally from there. The secondary school system is high school which you start at age 11, called 1st year. There is also a high school track that is Grammar School, for kids who score higher on the national exam. It's kind of like an SAT for end of middle school. In addition to this, they had/have govt funded Catholic and Protestant HS as traditionally, England was a Christian country.
I think it should be pointed out that in the case of both C of E and Catholic schools in Britain, they tended generally to be only nominally religious. That said, it's high time to do away with the concept of 'religious' schools. Period.

Old 03-17-2015, 07:00 AM

15,861 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modernist1 View Post
There should be no religious schools.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 404Error View Post
not on the taxpayer's dime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
Again, I'm so thankful for July 4, 1776. Even with "school vouchers" (or clerical errors by the parents), in the U.S. no child is forced into a religious school by the government.

And the parents in the U.S. complaining about double tuition/taxation are middle class, but they usually don't qualify for vouchers anyway so they (or should I say "we"!) just go on complaining.
I grew up in the rural South. My PUBLIC school was only secular in name only - there were Christian prayers at PTA meetings, football games, and before every home game with the marching band. I was not allowed to leave the room when our band director had a fellow student lead a prayer "In Jesus' name," yet I was also told when I asked to lead a prayer in Hebrew that it would be "offensive." It wasn't until the principal got involved that the non-Christian students were allowed to leave - but it was made clear that we were "reducing morale" by doing so. Eventually, I had to quit the marching band because I was told I would lose my leadership roles and chair because I had to miss a practice (we had 3 a week) for Yom Kippur, yet other kids were not penalized for leaving practice an hour early every Wednesday for Bible study.

Georgia, 2004. Teachers routinely led prayers in the classroom.

Something tells me this girl would receive much better treatment and respect in a Sikh school than I did in a public-but-majority-Protestant school. If you don't think that happens in schools across the US with small religious minorities, I'm not sure what to tell you. I was told by school leadership that student-led prayers were fine, even if a teacher was instigating it.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:29 PM

2,416 posts, read 2,023,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I grew up in the rural South. My PUBLIC school was only secular in name only - there were Christian prayers at PTA meetings, football games, and before every home game with the marching band. I was not allowed to leave the room when our band director had a fellow student lead a prayer "In Jesus' name," yet I was also told when I asked to lead a prayer in Hebrew that it would be "offensive." It wasn't until the principal got involved that the non-Christian students were allowed to leave - but it was made clear that we were "reducing morale" by doing so. Eventually, I had to quit the marching band because I was told I would lose my leadership roles and chair because I had to miss a practice (we had 3 a week) for Yom Kippur, yet other kids were not penalized for leaving practice an hour early every Wednesday for Bible study.

Georgia, 2004. Teachers routinely led prayers in the classroom.

Something tells me this girl would receive much better treatment and respect in a Sikh school than I did in a public-but-majority-Protestant school. If you don't think that happens in schools across the US with small religious minorities, I'm not sure what to tell you. I was told by school leadership that student-led prayers were fine, even if a teacher was instigating it.
From what you describe a typical 'religious' school in the UK - the Christian ones - Anglican, Catholic, would almost certainly be more secular than your 'secular' school in Dixie.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:05 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times
The ironic thing is that while many here are saying that this girl may learn something (about other cultures) by attending a religious Sikh school, chances are, if the public school option is typical, it would have a far more diverse student body consisting not only of native English students, but Celtic, Caribbean, African, Slavic, Hindu, Pakistani, and yes, Sikh students.

Last edited by ABQConvict; 03-18-2015 at 12:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events