Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-19-2015, 10:58 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,596,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
OR we think that what someone does in their own home is their business.

The person complaining was so upset that they looked, got out their camera/phone, and stopped to take a pic.

If I see something that I don't want to see, I don;t stop to take a pic, I look away and move on.
These people are minding their own business but this dude is displaying his business in plain view of the front door where others happen to glance over and see this perv standing there. I can't believe this has been going on for years and no one had approached him about it.

A few years ago my neighbor mentioned that one of our other neighbors would stand in his front door naked and he'd do it during the time when school buses would drop off kids. She said someone called the cops on him. I'm not sure they took him in but they probably told him to close his damn door. I didn't know this happened so apparently this isn't nothing new.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2015, 11:12 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,031,788 times
After reading this thread it appears that the forum members need to learn the difference between public and private.

Just because you are in your home does not make it private.

If you were killing someone or growing dope in the front hallway and it was visible from the street, anyone walking by could photograph it to report to the police. It might be your house but you aren't free to do anything you want in it.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:23 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Killing someone or growing dope is illegal.

Being naked in your own house is not.

If this is about indecency, I want every single couple in the room next to me in practically every hotel I've been to to be arrested for all the noisy sex they have submitted me to. It's freaking sick.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:35 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,166,204 times
The question is should it be illegal, so the "It's not illegal" responses are irrelevant.

There is a difference between a person who is naked in their own home and happens to be seen by people outside the home and a person who is intentionally showing off his nakedness to people outside the home, which this fellow is obviously doing.

Those who say "It's his home, he can do what he wants": What if a person built a house out of all glass and had raunchy orgies in it at night, with all the lights on, so everyone in the neighborhood could see? Would that be acceptable? It is, after all, their home.

Similarly, why are some of you making the distinction between what happens inside the home and what happens in his yard? Why is it acceptable for him to do this, but it would be unacceptable for him to mow his lawn nude? Keep in mind, the question is what should be illegal, so responses that point to current laws are irrelevant.

Old 03-20-2015, 02:59 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,483,802 times
It reminds me of the Roseanne episode with clothing-optional old couple neighbors and everyone looking in the windows of the old people next door. They invite the old couple {nudists} over and the old couple says "it's our chosen way of life, you just can't help yoursleves". Roseanne says "well its hard NOT to look"..the neighbor says "well, I think we can manage", so Roseanne rips open her shirt facing them and says "oh, yeah, what color are my eyes" while they get shocked by her {assumable} bare breasts!

Should it be illegal? I don't know. I THOUGHT it was already illegal to look into someone's window, called PEEPING TOM LAWS.
Apparently not. So maybe it should not be illegal to do what one wants in one's own house. If you don't like it, look elswhere.

Seriously, What we do in our own homes SHOULD legally be what we can do in our own homes regarding nudity. STOP PEEPING IN WINDOWS! OR DOORS! or where ever PEOPLE!

MOH and I DO keep heavy "insulator blackout drapes" on our windows {closed} so people can't see in, if they DO see anything, its their fault. With just me and MOH at home, we have been known to get dressed in the LR or have coffee while undressed or partially dressed, but with those heavy blackout drapes, if you can see in to see anything, you are working VERY hard at it to see something!! So If you DO, then you get what you deserve!

FOr he who said-neighbor's glass house, and orgy, well, again, if you are looking, then you are asking for it. I know, I know, people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw orgies! And the neighbors might get jealous they're not invited to the orgy!
Just do what I would do, avert your eyes and then go buy heavy insulator blackout drapes for YOUR windows!

Old 03-20-2015, 04:53 AM

27,182 posts, read 43,876,617 times
I find it interesting the response of some to the situation as offensive and wonder how all of it would change if we were speaking of an attractive woman instead? Not saying they're hypocrites, but would be happy to watch it play out that way. : )

Old 03-20-2015, 05:01 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,833,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
If the home owner is a hot female, I'm all for it!!!
Somehow that never happens ! All we get are guys who look like this one !

Don

Old 03-20-2015, 05:18 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Whether one agrees with the attitude towards nudity or not is beside the point since there are laws against public nudity and this guy is being defended on the technicality of 1/8 inch of glass.
If that glass wasn't there or he was standing outside the door on the porch, he could be charged.
The effect is the same in both cases and so should the repercussions.

Old 03-20-2015, 05:20 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,147,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
The question is should it be illegal, so the "It's not illegal" responses are irrelevant.

There is a difference between a person who is naked in their own home and happens to be seen by people outside the home and a person who is intentionally showing off his nakedness to people outside the home, which this fellow is obviously doing.

Those who say "It's his home, he can do what he wants": What if a person built a house out of all glass and had raunchy orgies in it at night, with all the lights on, so everyone in the neighborhood could see? Would that be acceptable? It is, after all, their home.

Similarly, why are some of you making the distinction between what happens inside the home and what happens in his yard? Why is it acceptable for him to do this, but it would be unacceptable for him to mow his lawn nude? Keep in mind, the question is what should be illegal, so responses that point to current laws are irrelevant.
A person who could afford a house of glass and orgies all night could probably afford a decent amount of land to protect his own privacy.

What goes on in someone's home is their own business. You have a right to assume a certain amount of privacy inside your home. On your lawn, its someones word against yours where you were and what you were doing.

Let me ask you, if you emerge from your shower, having forgotten to pull the shade on your large bathroom window, or bedroom window, and proceed to do your remaining hygiene before going to your bedroom to select the clothes you wish to wear, should the Police be able to bust in, search your home, and arrest you for indecent exposure because a neighbor camped out and watched you do this, recording it on their iPhone??

Plenty of successful law suits have been filed regarding government cameras at intersections reaching beyond that purpose. If governments arent immune to being accused of prying, how would any normal citizen be immune?

Old 03-20-2015, 05:31 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Somehow that never happens ! All we get are guys who look like this one !

Don
We had an older lady for a neighbor who used to parade around nude at night with the lights on and blinds up. We just ignored her aside from cracking the odd joke now and again. Of course her very attractive college aged daughter who visited from time to time never did it though. I remember thinking the same thing at the time...it's always the ones you wouldn't want to see anyway who parade themselves around like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events