Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 10:29 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times

Advertisements

Again, for those wallowing in the absurd notion that the non-stop media din about something is a measure of that something's actual frequency - in this case, airline crashes - I offer something with which you are probably not familiar.

Namely, actual facts.

Even though the number of flights and passengers increases every single year, we are on a very long downward trend of both the number of fatal crashes as well as total fatalities - and the actual decrease in the rate of these crashes and deaths (given the constant increase in flying) is even more marked.

Is 2014 the deadliest year for flights? Not even close - CNN.com

And now, back to your regularly-scheduled misinformation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2015, 11:04 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,520,300 times
The flight data recorder (black box) has been found. It appears the plane was far off its expected flight path.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:08 AM

1,994 posts, read 1,520,300 times
Here is a fact: the world doesn't run on facts and that is a fact. Plane disasters are dramatic, they instill fear and a lot of people getting on planes today will hope the entire trip that their flight goes off without a hitch. That too is a fact.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:22 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
And people scoff at my fear of flying. "The chance of a plane crash is virtually nil. Totally safe". That's what the people on this flight were thinking as well.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:30 AM

22,331 posts, read 29,421,443 times
So horrible to hear. RIP and prayers out to all

Old 03-24-2015, 01:34 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
I was saddened to see the news, too. I read that one of the flight recorders was located. Hopefully, it will shed light on the cause. My thoughts are with the grieving family and friends.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:39 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
And people scoff at my fear of flying. "The chance of a plane crash is virtually nil. Totally safe". That's what the people on this flight were thinking as well.
The chances are virtually nil.

The fact that someone regularly wins the Powerball doesn't change the fact that the odds of winning are, in fact, virtually nil.

This doesn't require deep insight, people. You don't need to take an upper-level stats course to comprehend this. All it takes is some basic common sense, a cursory familiarity with the numbers, and a 5th-grade mathematical competency.

I swear, put something on an info-tainment channel 24/7 and people wet their pants over it...

On a side note, there will be no survivors from this crash:

Old 03-24-2015, 01:46 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,364,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

The fact that someone regularly wins the Powerball doesn't change the fact that the odds of winning are, in fact, virtually nil.

This doesn't require deep insight, people. You don't need to take an upper-level stats course to comprehend this. All it takes is some basic common sense, a cursory familiarity with the numbers, and a 5th-grade mathematical competency.
I'm also afraid of flying. The logical part of my brain understands that the drive to the airport is much more dangerous, but I still break into cold sweat on taxi every time I fly. It's totally irrational. The brain is weird.

Old 03-24-2015, 01:47 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post

I swear, put something on an info-tainment channel 24/7 and people wet their pants over it...

On a side note, there will be no survivors from this crash:
Hey, lose the snotty tone, alright? I still fly but I do it with drugs. It doesn't change the fact that people who ARE involved in plane crashes & who die in those crashes thought the very same thing: "What are the chances this plane will crash, right? It's totally safer to fly, right?"

Old 03-24-2015, 02:11 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,460,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
If it ain't Boeing I ain't going.
MH 370 was a Boeing 777.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events