Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2015, 01:17 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,735,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
and if the moon was made of cheese we would eat it.
Why is your scenario--that the guy brought it on himself by running away--reasonable, while mine--that the cop should have not shot him in the back as he was running away--unreasonable?

If we're trying to understand what happened based solely on the video, why do you keep blaming the guy running away for getting shot and not the person holding the gun who shot him?

Why not place the blame on the person who had real control of the shooting?

After all, guns don't kill people. People kill people, right?

Old 04-08-2015, 01:18 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,945,071 times
Quote:
Does he bear any responsibility for his own actions?
Everyone bears full responsibility for their own actions. So the dead guy bears the responsibility for running. The murderers bears the responsibility of murdering him.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:20 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,790,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Why is your scenario--that the guy brought it on himself by running away--reasonable, while mine--that the cop should have not shot him in the back as he was running away--unreasonable?

If we're trying to understand what happened based solely on the video, why do you keep blaming the guy running away for getting shot and not the person holding the gun who shot him?

Why not place the blame on the person who had real control of the shooting?
They both had control. He put himself in a situation where he got shot. The cop did the wrong thing and the victim did the wrong thing.

To run was unreasonable. To fight with the police was unreasonable, To slap the tazer out of the cop's hand was unreasonable.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Respected him? I think you're distorting reality. It's terrible that man is dead, and it's terrible the cop was overzealous in using unnecessary deadly force. But you seriously think the victim should have been "respected"?
Why shouldn't he have been respected? He had a broken tail light and owed back child support. There are about 20 million people walking around right now in the same circumstances. Should they all be worried about getting shot in the back by a cop?

Old 04-08-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Why shouldn't he have been respected? He had a broken tail light and owed back child support. There are about 20 million people walking around right now in the same circumstances. Should they all be worried about getting shot in the back by a cop?
Why would someone who is resisting arrest and fleeing while having an outstanding warrant be worthy of respect? He didn't respect the police officers commands.

and if he had a warrant for his arrest why wouldn't he turn himself in?

Old 04-08-2015, 01:23 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,803,226 times
Quote:
To fight with the police was unreasonable, To slap the tazer out of the cop's hand was unreasonable.
Is there evidence other then what the cop said?

Old 04-08-2015, 01:24 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,947,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrex62 View Post
The story I read stated that he was stopped for a broken tail light and ran when outstanding warrants were found. The cop chased and caught him. He struggled and got away. In dispute seems to be the cops statement that he got the taser or if the cop dropped it and planted it later. The cop chose to not chase him again and shot him. The guy kept running until the last shot, so "unloading" the gun on him seemed to be necessary to stop him.
Its a LOT simpler than you are making it out to be Johnny. First thing... when you are stopped for a busted taillight... are you usually subject to a warrants search? The answer is no. I know that in the present situation their 'might' have been an active warrant for his arrest that would have flashed up when his plates were run but... when I am stopped by police. And it happens often. And I got my license at age 33 and rarely drive anymore due to eyesight issues.. But when I am stopped I am always subjected to a half hour long (minimum) extensive search of my possible criminal history going back as many years as the officer has patience for. Always. Sometimes the officer even tells me the ticket he has written is bogus and won't result in any fine. But he got what he wanted... the opportunity to try and see if there was anything worse than a minor bicycle or motor vehicle infraction that could have lead to an arrest.

I am married to a white person. I have dated white people. I go to dinner parties where I am the only black person. I will be in a room full of people who have been driving since they were 16 and have never been stopped, ever, or, if they were stopped, were on their way with a warning or a ticket in less than 10 minutes. I have been a passenger in a car being driven by a white person that was stopped for a bad taillight and she did not even have ID on her or any registration documents in the glove compartment. The officer just gave her a verbal notification of the bad taillight.

So... I don't know... I just don't know. The story did NOT say warrants were found. The family speculates that fear over the warrants may have made the victim panicky. What I know is that when they stop black motorists, officers always run for outstanding warrants and that this is an optional step! We don't know if he got that far on Saturday. The take-away is that there was no justification for shooting Scott eight times. Your thoughtful analysis is very much an overreach.

H

Old 04-08-2015, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Why would someone who is resisting arrest and fleeing while having an outstanding warrant be worthy of respect? He didn't respect the police officers commands.
Because he's a human being. I believe SOP in a case like this is to broadcast that a suspect is fleeing, to give a description of him and his location. Other PO's show up, catch the guy and put him in the back of a police car. He probably couldn't have run 200 yards before he'd been completely out of breath.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Is there evidence other then what the cop said?
So if he is not resisting arrest and trying to flee why would he run away?

and the beginning of the video looks like he is raising his arm from knocking down the tazer and something dropped and he starts to run.

Old 04-08-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
So if he is not resisting arrest and trying to flee why would he run away?

and the beginning of the video looks like he is raising his arm from knocking down the tazer and something dropped and he starts to run.
Why can't you understand that none of his behavior justifies being shot in the back as he runs away?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events