Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2015, 01:55 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,867,773 times

Advertisements

That attitude would excuse you from the jury.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:05 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,757,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
That's purely unfounded and ignorant speculation. If he would have complied with the officers requests, not left the area where his car was, and submitted to his certain arrest due to the warrant, we wouldn't be having this conversation. If he was compliant with the officer, he'd be sitting in jail right now and no one would even know about it. The cop, no matter how aggressive, isn't going shoot a man just for sport.

The officer made a bad decision and he's going to pay for it. Any jury with a bit of sense will look at that video, see the man clearly running away, posing no threat, and the officer opening fire. He deserves to go to prison for that. But going back to the original point, if the victim had just been compliant, it never would have escalated to the cop even touching his weapon, as he would have no reason to.
I was responding to a question about whether I thought the victim made a good decision to run. I don't know why he ran, but given the outcome, my speculation was neither unfounded nor ignorant.

Maybe if Scott had been as compliant as the guy in the above video he would have had the same happy outcome.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:11 PM

692 posts, read 1,007,148 times
Quote:
He would have been justified in tackling and slamming him to the ground and throwing cuffs on him. The guy belonged in jail, not dead.
Exactly. Also how is a 33 year old cop not able to run down a 50 year old man?

Old 04-08-2015, 02:13 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,198,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
You should run the risk of being arrested, tried by a jury and sentenced for resisting arrest. You should NOT run the risk of being shot in the back.
Understood. But this incident not withstanding, what if the criminal is dangerous and possibly armed? Why is he running?

Old 04-08-2015, 02:15 PM
J24

448 posts, read 865,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
I was responding to a question about whether I thought the victim made a good decision to run. I don't know why he ran, but given the outcome, my speculation was neither unfounded nor ignorant.

Maybe if Scott had been as compliant as the guy in the above video he would have had the same happy outcome.
Cool, you were able to find a video where a bad cop does a bad thing. Please, do the research and find out how many traffic stops are made PER year, and then compare the number of these occurrences. And that's just traffic stops. If you could find data on every single police contact with civilians, it'd be an even smaller percentage of these bad apple cops that are off their rocker.

Now, look up how many officers are killed in the line of duty while preforming a traffic stop. I guarantee it's going to be a FAR greater number than the number of times things like this 3 year old video show that you posted.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:19 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,828,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by so954 View Post
So if he is not resisting arrest and trying to flee why would he run away?

and the beginning of the video looks like he is raising his arm from knocking down the tazer and something dropped and he starts to run.

So no, the answer is no, and you are just filling in the blanks to support your narrative.

How about this rogue bully cop threatened him with bodily harm and the guy knew he was about to either be tased or beaten to a pulp and ran.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:21 PM
J24

448 posts, read 865,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
So no, the answer is no, and you are just filling in the blanks to support your narrative.

How about this rogue bully cop threatened him with bodily harm and the guy knew he was about to either be tased or beaten to a pulp and ran.
Sounds like you're filling in the blanks to support your cop-hating narrative yourself.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:24 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,828,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J24 View Post
Sounds like you're filling in the blanks to support your cop-hating narrative yourself.
Wow, you're quite perceptive. The point in doing so was to show that his version of events prior to the video is no better then mine, except he and others are saying their view is fact and the only thing that could have possibly happened. I was just offering another possibility.

P.S. I don't have a cop hating narrative. Do you have a black hating narrative?

Old 04-08-2015, 02:25 PM

5,054 posts, read 7,259,010 times
Here's hoping for a looong stay at Lee Correctional for (ex) Officer Slager. Maybe he can learn a new trade like laundering other dudes' underwear and such.

Old 04-08-2015, 02:26 PM

12,016 posts, read 12,818,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post

How about he knew he was gonna be shot and ran?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events