Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2015, 05:16 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,979,518 times

Advertisements

Amen, southbel, the ex cop lied cause he knew he had executed someone posing no danger to him. He is also shown in the video planting evidence. The only question, much like the Boston Bomber, equally a felon, is the severity of the sentence to follow. If Slager gets to see his grandchildren born, he'll have gotten off lucky for him.

If he pleads anything but guilty, all in the courtroom will have to stifle their laughter.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:23 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamTheFlatulent View Post
The Law says that an Officer can shoot a Fleeing Felon he believes to be an immediate threat to others.

If Scott fought the Officer and tried to take his weapon, then it is perfectly reasonable to consider him a threat to public safety. If he was panicked and foolish (and possibly intoxicated) enough to run and then fight and then run again he certainly could have raced into traffic, or broken into a home to take a hostage, or any number of irrational criminal actions that could have caused great harm or death to innocents.

If he misreported details due to being stressed and possibly disoriented from being attacked by Scott (perhaps he was injured?) then he should reasonably be expecting an appropriate punishment for these mistakes, but that is a far cry from being charged with Murder if the facts come out to show that Scott fought with the Officer and tried to disarm him.

And let's not forget Scott WAS driving an unregistered uninsured car while unlicensed, possibly intoxicated, and he had Arrest Warrants for abandoning FOUR children, AND a broken tailight. A broken tailight can easily cause a deadly car accident even if the driver has a valid liscense, INS, and is not intoxicated. Officer Slager could have actually saved Scott's life by pulling him over for that broken tailight if he hadn't attempted to flee the encounter and then possibly assaulted the Officer.
Besides trying to add in a lot of information that isn't remotely true or proven, you're forgetting one unassailable fact. My grandmother could have caught Scott he was running so slow. That cop unloaded on Scott and as a result, he is sitting in jail. I particularly like how you want to attribute 'stress' to the cop getting the story completely wrong (otherwise known as lying). Shot in close range? Nope. Shot once? Nope. Performed CPR? Nope. Ah, but he was just stressed and that's why he lied - yeah right.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:25 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,524,997 times
I should clarify when I say "running away" I mean initially when the officer had returned to his car and Scott jumped out of his Mercedes (!) and fled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Great post. Many people think we're in a "new age" where social order does not matter. I've had responses such as "who sets the social order?"
I was always taught that it was OK to shoot a fleeing criminal to wound, not to kill. Likely the officer went too far, unless of course he's not sure if the suspect's flight was stopped. But any suspect who draws a shot for the purpose of "wounding" him might be badly hurt.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:29 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,512,917 times
Quote:
When people reply to logic and facts with name-calling and accusations it makes it pretty obvious that the logic and facts are correct, and the person hurling insults knows it.

We don't know the facts yet. We have 2 videos, and considering the fact that the main stream media has been caught manipulating evidence in the very recent past the videos are highly suspect.

If Scott fought the police and tried to take the Officer's weapon his killing was legally justified.

I have had these exact same arguments in recent years with people like you over the Trayvon case and the Brown case and the smug, haughty, mocking, sarcastic, name-calling posters (like the ones here) were dead wrong on all counts.

When events like this happen, people need to stop INSTANTLY rushing to judgement because they are eager to vilify the police.
You're partly right, but mostly wrong.

The partly right is that there's sure to be more to what happened than we've heard. I won't be surprised at all if the guy in the car with Scott is on the shady side and something was up with the car. My Guess is the unpaid child support isn't the reason he ran.

You'll be mostly wrong because there won't be any reasonable justification for the cop to be in fear of danger to himself or others at the time he fired.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:31 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,089,828 times
Quote:
The Law says that an Officer can shoot a Fleeing Felon he believes to be an immediate threat to others.

If Scott fought the Officer and tried to take his weapon, then it is perfectly reasonable to consider him a threat to public safety. If he was panicked and foolish (and possibly intoxicaterd) enough to run and then fight and then run again he certainly could have raced into traffic, or broken into a home to take a hostage, or any number of irrational criminal actions that could have caused great harm or death to innocents.

If he misreported details due to being stressed and possibly disoriented from being attacked by Scott (perhaps he was injured?) then he should reasonably be expecting an appropriate punishment for these mistakes, but that is a far cry from being charged with Murder if the facts come out to show that Scott fought with the Officer and tried to disarm him.

And let's not forget Scott WAS driving an unregistered uninsured car while unlicensed, possibly intoxicated, and he had Arrest Warrants for abandoning FOUR children, AND a broken tailight. A broken tailight can easily cause a deadly car accident even if the driver has a valid liscense, INS, and is not intoxicated. Officer Slager could have actually saved Scott's life by pulling him over for that broken tailight if he hadn't attempted to flee the encounter and then possibly assaulted the Officer.
I appreciate you taking a global view at this incident...and I will be open to the possibility of more evidence to come out.
That being said this shooting is outside any policy or law or common sense . We can go down the road of conjecture to the end of the earth... if there was one scintilla of exculpatory evidence of the officer it would have been released because of public scrutiny.
I cannot discharge my weapon at a non active threat moving away from me and without danger to others.... it was very clear to me this was the case. It also appears something... potentially the taser was moved... I could still be OK with that in the heat of the moment and securing weapons and equipment except for the police report... I'm awaiting reading that ... there is zero room for perjury and if done as a part of a bad shoot makes the person evil...

The only way in this shoot any justification could be made would be the incapacitation of the officer... this clearly by all available evidence... did not occur....

I...of course.. want to know why... what happened to make him think he could do this ...try to justify it... and expect others... especially Leo to believe it... immediately the investigation revealed... the scene doesn't add up... and science doesnt lie

Like Rodney king this incident will be a salient moment changing police policy... it on its face is so far outside policy here I wonder what additional policy could be added. I have never experienced a warrant in the system for child support. We have other mechanisms for handling irresponsibility. Even if I encountered one.. even if the car was stolen .. even if the person struggled with me... even if the person took my taser... after I tased him... I still cannot use deadly force on him as he runs away... engaging me.. potentially... but nothing in this case rises to that... every policeman I work with would agree with this premise

Scott isn't on trial... he is dead because of a bad shoot...

Thanks

Last edited by notmeofficer; 04-12-2015 at 05:46 PM..

Old 04-12-2015, 05:31 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,654,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Based on the pictures I've seen, it was late 80's or early 90's car. Something that costs probably $3,000 or less.
Those ridiculous looking chromed wheels cost more than that. No matter there is no excuse for not supporting your kids financially and as a real Dad.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:32 PM

I wonder how many previous murders are in Slager's record? With the lies he told during the aftermath of this execution, every single case he handled should be re-examined, every witness questioned again, and any resulting item which comes to light should be examined by the prosecution.

Old 04-12-2015, 05:33 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,375,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Besides trying to add in a lot of information that isn't remotely true or proven, you're forgetting one unassailable fact. My grandmother could have caught Scott he was running so slow. That cop unloaded on Scott and as a result, he is sitting in jail. I particularly like how you want to attribute 'stress' to the cop getting the story completely wrong (otherwise known as lying). Shot in close range? Nope. Shot once? Nope. Performed CPR? Nope. Ah, but he was just stressed and that's why he lied - yeah right.
After watching the video's..I'm wondering?? Just who was in fear for their life..and who had the means to kill the other?? Once anyone looks at this scenario there's No Other conclusion SMH...BTW~~ I never believed/or knew back payments regardless of how large has ever met the "Felony" level to my knowledge!!

Old 04-12-2015, 05:36 PM

463 posts, read 321,109 times
Quote:
But IF the blurry object in the video was the taser that the wanted, fleeing felon had attempted to wrestle from the Officer (and possible even had used the taser on the Officer) then it is clearly reasonable to assume that the Officer moved the weapon closer to the felon's corpse to keep a watchful eye on it so as to avoid any other thugs in the area from retrieving the weapon.
I have to admit even I got a laugh out of that one...

Old 04-12-2015, 05:39 PM

Ditto, Vistaian, That post was hiliarious. Maybe Scott was on the grassy Knoll in Dallas in 1963?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events