Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2015, 06:05 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wecaredalot View Post
This story was disgusting to read about. However, I think there's a difference between 'taking responsibility for one's actions' and 'victim-blaming.' No woman should have to worry about getting raped in front of a crowd of people on the beach. In fact, it would be nice if we didn't have to worry about violent crime AT ALL. However, saying that women shouldn't have to worry about getting their drinks spiked or walking outside late at night in a rough area (as an example) is an impractical stretch. Teaching men to not rape (as if we don't do that already?) is not going to eliminate rape! Personally, I think educating men about what's consent and what's not will have the biggest effects on college campuses and amongst young adults where guys seem to be complete ******* dunces about consent. But rape in general? Sorry, but I doubt that's going away...and I'm a woman. You can't moralize away all crime. Sure, it would be great to be able to go to a bar and leave your drink on your table while you run to the bathroom, but there are no guarantees that teaching "young men to not rape" is going to prevent every sociopathic/opportunistic ******* on the planet from doing it anyway. And that's the problem that I have with this current wave of "no victim-blaming" rhetoric--some women seem to think that if only we taught people better, we'd moralize away most sexual crimes, and I'm not convinced that's true.
There is a huge difference between cautioning women to take care of themselves and be leery of situations, and focusing so much on that so you aren't even mentioning the rape.

Yes, women need to be careful. Yes, spring break is a dangerous place.yes, alcohol is dangerous.

However, there are countless comments on this thread that barelyeven mention the rapists and their crime. It's the underlying idea that it's kindof her fault, so it's not that bad.

No it is that bad! It's actually one of the worst things I have seen in a long time. Hundreds of people watching and ignoring a gang rape on a public beach in the middle of the day! People standing right next to the rape and turning away so they can drink more! And some of the comments on Cd say...well she shouldn't have been there. She shouldn't have been drinking. She shouldn't have gone to spring break. Etc....

how about the comments should be....

That is so horrible, I can't believe a woman can be raped in broad daylight. Parents need to stop their kids from going to those type of places. We need to teach our kids to protect themselves and not stand by and watch a rape.

If it was a male being gang raped I doubt we would get one comment about him being at fault for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Where did you go to college? Students do not see sex out in the open often, or at all.

And the cops didn't think it was consensual. It was extreme, they said, and obviously rape.
Exactly. Wherever that poster sees sex all the time in the open needs to say which universities, because my child is not going there.

Old 04-16-2015, 06:13 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,969,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Yup. Tell me there's no rape culture in this country.
A rape happened, therefore there is a "rape culture in this country". That is what the media for profit wants you to think. They want you to TUNE IN so they can make money on advertising. It amazes me how 24 hour news for profit has really destroyed humans in the US. Fear sure is wildly out of control. News at one time was required by congress as a public service to "the people". Now it is a moneymaker with its hype and shock value. What a shame.

Too bad this happened. There are always some crimes being committed when you living in a country of 300,000,000 +++ people. Crime is quite low these days, but you would think we are all doomed if you are glued to the profit machine, that loves to stretch the truth to suit their hunger for profit!

Old 04-16-2015, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
"Women shouldn't have to live in fear of rape. Changing behavior because of these scumbags is letting these terrorists win."

Although I agree with you - that's the way it is these days. Question: Do you lock your doors at night? We shouldn't have to live in fear of someone coming into our homes and yet most of us lock our doors as a precaution. We have changed our behavior due to the scumbags in the last 100 years, when no one use to lock their doors because people in society have changed.

So if you hear about burglarys in your neighborhood, is your first comment...

Well they have nice stuff so it's theirfault. They don't secur their property correctly, so they are to blame.

Or....

Do you say "Oh no! That's awful! We need to watch out and protect each other. Maybe a neighborhood watch or an extra patrol unit."

Or....

"Why does this keep happening here? Where are the police? Why didnt the neighbors call the cops when they witnessed it happening? "

I guess this poor guy who was raped in his dorm bathroom shouldn't have gone there by himself. ( insert eye roll here) he should have carried some mace and a rape whistle.
And...what was he wearing? It doesn't even mention that. He was visiting friends at 5 am? He shouldn't have been up that late. ( doesn't that sound wrong? )
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...n_6535730.html

Last edited by Meyerland; 04-16-2015 at 06:35 AM..

Old 04-16-2015, 07:34 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
So if you hear about burglarys in your neighborhood, is your first comment...

Well they have nice stuff so it's theirfault. They don't secur their property correctly, so they are to blame.

Or....

Do you say "Oh no! That's awful! We need to watch out and protect each other. Maybe a neighborhood watch or an extra patrol unit."

Or....

"Why does this keep happening here? Where are the police? Why didnt the neighbors call the cops when they witnessed it happening? "

I guess this poor guy who was raped in his dorm bathroom shouldn't have gone there by himself. ( insert eye roll here) he should have carried some mace and a rape whistle.
And...what was he wearing? It doesn't even mention that. He was visiting friends at 5 am? He shouldn't have been up that late. ( doesn't that sound wrong? )
<center>Male Victims Of Campus Sexual Assault Speak Out<br><small>
You're not listening to all sides. It is different in every case, not one of the above every time. If my neighbor got burglarized at night, I immediately think it's not their fault because it is presumed that they locked their doors and took all precautions as any normal person would do for their family. You can't make that same assumption when a girl gets raped at a frat party, especially because of alcohol and suspect men. _If_ she left herself vulnerable (no friends around, drinks uninhibitedly, etc.), we most certainly would shake our head at her.

I didn't read all the details in this particular case so I won't comment on it. I certainly wouldn't automatically blame her, especially with it being a public setting in broad daylight.

There are also cases of homes being burglarized because people leave their windows open during the day while they're out. If that seems to be a trend, I would blame the owner, wouldn't you? Same with people who leave their cars running with the doors unlocked on winter mornings. /sigh at stupid

Last edited by ovi8; 04-16-2015 at 07:43 AM..

Old 04-16-2015, 07:37 AM

3,674 posts, read 10,603,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
It's poor judgement for anyone to drink or go to spring break style parties.

However, no one would say the males were to blame if they were raped at a party..(yes, men are raped and even gang raped) No one would say, "oh he shouldn't have worn short shorts and no shirt. He should have drank less or watched his drink"

They would say, "that's the worst thing I have heard! That poor guy". They would counsel others to proceed with caution, but without the blame.

See the difference?

By blaming the victim it makes it seem less awful to others. Like those rapists are really ok guys, except they just happened on a girl who brought it on herself by her choices.

The real truth is rapists don't wear signs and they don't need an excuse to rape. They do need an opportunity, so people should be careful. However, it is not the girls fault she was gang raped at a public party with hundreds of people.

Watch the video. It's obscene
Were it a guy getting raped under the same circumstances described thus far, I would place the same level of condemnation and proportion of blame to him. Guys likewise need to use better judgement in their lives to stay safe.

Between posts I have responded to and posts that have responded to me, YOU are the only one that has stated that the girl is being blamed for the incident. I have only stated that she made bad judgement calls and put herself in a bad situation.

The sad truth is that rapists DO need an excuse to rape. They look for opportunity and expectations of success and decide whether or not to rape based on that assessment. They are not usually waking up in the morning and putting on their rape gear and heading out to a party to troll for victims. They instead wake up just like you do, put on their party gear and head out for a fun time. If they happen to see an opportunity, they just might take it. Like every scenario, there are exceptions and rapists who do plan their day around the hunt for a victim. I just think if it were are frequent as you seem to indicate the rape stats would be much closer to 75% of women getting raped than the 20% bandied about by the advocates against rape culture.

As to the video, no I haven't seen it and don't even know where I would go to look for it. Do you have a copy personally?

Old 04-16-2015, 07:58 AM

67 posts, read 88,675 times
Black guys raping a white woman? That never happens.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggT View Post
She "said" she must have been drugged, probably passed out from drinking too much. I think she attended her drink TOO MUCH!! When you see all those pictures and videos of teens drinking beer and mostly liquor from funnels behind that club, I really doubt she was drugged except on alcohol.
This does not excuse those animals that raped her, they need to be tossed into jail and lose the key!
So I made up victim blaming in this thread?

Old 04-16-2015, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
More then likely, she was the one propagating her services in a drunken stupor and her "clientele" agreed. Women need to take responsibility for their behaviors or else things like this will continue happening.
Or this one. There are so many, I could keep reposting the offensive ones.

Old 04-16-2015, 08:08 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,080,364 times
I resent the fact that a lot of these night time talk show hosts are or were making light of this issue . How dare they ? why is this okay ? it is not . But then again Jon Stewart has his head up Obama's butt . Im sick of jon stewart and his everything is funny attitude . One of the reasons I don't like him at all and he just needs to go away into obsecurity . I did not like him the first time I watched what he was on . Nope this is serious issue and no one should be making fun of this . I think maybe these areas need an open bottle law , have open bottle on the beach go to jail indeed , either that or do away with spring break altogether . This beach has a serious issue and problem and they need to fix it and if that cant be done then do away with spring break altogether .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events