Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2015, 04:58 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post

I was an Army brat, so I did know a couple of kids whose black GI fathers who married German women while overseas. Make that a total of two. All the other light-skinned blacks I knew had black parents.
First of all, I need to make one thing very clear - I really respect your opinions and perspective on racial issues. I suspect that we probably agree more than disagree on the hot topic of race in America.

That being said, I do have some observations and I'm not being argumentative - I really am curious about your take from your perspective, since my perspective as a white, middle aged younger Baby Boomer who grew up always knowing integration apparently differs from yours.

I was also a military brat. Interestingly enough, we knew several interracial couples over the years but like you, I don't recall more than two or three couples who were black/white. I did know many AA couples and families though over the years and we all lived in close proximity to each other and also socialized together.

When I grew up, I married an AA guy I met in college and he went into the Army. I noticed a LOT more biracial and multiracial families at that time. This was in the 1980s and 1990s. So you see, while some of our history is similar, it forks in the road and from my perspective, I saw a lot more racial mixing in the military as time went by - the natural effect of integration, in my opinion.

Quote:
Why can't you accept the fact that black people are willing to accept "mixed" as black?
I know this question wasn't directed at me, but I'm going to answer it from the perspective of a mother of four biracial kids.

SOME black people accept "mixed" kids as black. Not all. But here's another observation that jumps out at me - some black people insist on labeling people as "mixed" just as some white people do. It's not like all black people are color blind or accepting of anyone who wants to join their ranks, any more than all white people are. There are people in both camps who insist on holding up a color bar and judging people on the color of their skin, their accent, the way they dress, etc. And they're INSISTENT too - you wouldn't believe some of the stories my kids can tell, about white people AND black people trying to shove identities onto them, when all they have wanted to do is be accepted for what they are - biracial Americans. Period. Not "black," and not "white." Not either/or - BOTH. Themselves in other words.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 05:01 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I'm sensing some things that don't add up.

If blacks are discriminated against, and at a disadvantage.. how can lying about being black give her an advantage?
It gave her the advantage because she used "black victim" to build her profile and apply for positions, such as the Ombudsman position, which preferred racial diversity.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:10 PM

She claims to be an expert in: Women and Children First? How Low-Income Female-Headed Families Have Fared since the War on Poverty

She didn't come from a low-income female-headed family. Her parents are still happily married, and questioning why she is such a big liar. She is a single female with a child, but that doesn't make her an expert in the subject of the book. She's just another white kid who came from a good family, and who messed up her marriage two years in.

The war on poverty : a retrospective in SearchWorks
Attached Thumbnails
Parents say NAACP leader passed herself as black for years-rachel-dolezal.jpg  

Old 06-13-2015, 05:20 PM

This is also an eye-opener:

The Easterner : Professor interprets racial differences

"Rachel Dolezal has been a professor at Eastern since 2007. Dolezal started her teaching career at Howard University in the art department. While at EWU, Dolezal has taught African and African-American art history, World Art with a focus on Native North American art history and, most recently, in the Africana studies program. - See more at: The Easterner : Professor interprets racial differences"

EWU claims that she taught one class in 2011, and another in 2014, that she is not a professor, and that she teaches, or taught, evening continuing education courses. Her dad is white. She wasn't in South Africa. Who in their right mind believed these tall tales? ... a baboon whip?

In her own words:

"Either hate crimes or bullying or acts of violence took place at every location. [In] Montana, we had my dad’s campaign signs graffitied with “******” and had to go around washing that off in the mornings when he was running for county commissioner. - See more at: The Easterner : Professor interprets racial differences

"In South Africa, the kids would beat up mixed kids for having darker siblings, but when my darker brother stepped in, they grabbed sticks and beat him, then threw rocks. We were home-schooled sometimes because of this and other social pressures. - See more at: The Easterner : Professor interprets racial differences

"I got beaten with wooden boards and spoons a lot and had to do manual labor jobs like digging potatoes or pulling thistles and weeds, whereas my siblings, who were darker, … were beaten with a baboon whip … - See more at: The Easterner : Professor interprets racial differences

Old 06-13-2015, 05:21 PM

19,822 posts, read 12,086,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
She claims to be an expert in: Women and Children First? How Low-Income Female-Headed Families Have Fared since the War on Poverty

She didn't come from a low-income female-headed family. Her parents are still happily married, and questioning why she is such a big liar. She is a single female with a child, but that doesn't make her an expert in the subject of the book. She's just another white kid who came from a good family, and who messed up her marriage two years in.

The war on poverty : a retrospective in SearchWorks
Perhaps her husband realized she was batchit cray cray.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:23 PM

93 posts, read 90,256 times
Quote:
I've never heard Hillary do it. Yes, Barack does it. It's called "code switching" and most black people do it--for that matter, a whole lot of people whose parents didn't speak Standard English at home or in their childhood neighborhoods code-switch when they're back around those people. Barack probably learned how to do it in Chicago--in fact, he can probably code-switch between African-American, Standard English, and Hawaiian pidgin.
Why does Barack Obama not speak Standard English in front of an African American audience? Does he believe Black Americans are culturally different from mainstream American society?

Old 06-13-2015, 05:23 PM

520 posts, read 532,021 times
Heh somebody should really whip her with a baboon whip. Whatever the hell that is. LOL

Old 06-13-2015, 05:27 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,976,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
Well you just admitted that at least one time he did it. I don't know of any others but it's still deception. And of course rest assured he will use that to his advantage in the upcoming election.

I mean, I spent six months in Spain, I speak fluent Spanish and I even have a Mexican boyfriend. I guess I should call my university and tell them I was actually Hispanic the whole time and see if I can get any diversity back pay.
Jeb Bush checked "Hispanic" off once, that we can prove. Just like how Rachel goes out with a wig and bronzed skin. Jeb Bush DIDN'T spend years claiming he is Hispanic to hurt others with his lies. He never claimed people sent him hate mail or threatened him just for being Hispanic, opening up police investigations into it when it was actually all just lies he planted himself to further his agenda. He didn't claim he grew up in a Mexican neighborhood surrounding by dangerous drug cartels or something, like Rachel claimed she grew up in a teepee () in South Africa. He did not post a picture with a Hispanic man and say, "this is my dad." He has not been DECEPTIVE. He simply identifies as Hispanic because he is married to a Hispanic woman, has Hispanic kids, lived in Venezuela, and speaks fluent Spanish. She LIES as well as identifies as black. Those lies hurt others as well as public and well-known institutions like the NAACP and Howard University. You still can't see the difference?

It's not about the identity thing, it's about the deception. She has not just said "yeah I feel like I am black so I will be black from now on," she has created a story and a life and past that didn't happen, and shared it with others in a rather public manner and in a way that has damaged people or places.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:29 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
I want a baboon whip. It sounds pretty cool. I could scare my grandkids with it - and then make them go weed the flower beds and later they might be able to make some money off these stories. In a way, would I be doing them a favor?

Old 06-13-2015, 05:30 PM

297 posts, read 294,211 times
Quote:

First, I don't know what "bona fide black people" is supposed to mean. I suspect you really mean "bona fide" by your definition, because obviously a whole lot of "bona fide black people" are already willing to accept someone with Rachel's appearance as black. You seem to be at odds with the decision of "bona fide black people" on that matter.
The majority of black Americans are descendants of West Africans. Therefore, it's reasonable to expect that a bona fide black American would share similar features with the women of their ancestry. Here are a few pictures of West African women from several West African countries:

****Note that the below photos are from BlogSpot and are not copyrighted****

Woman from Ghana:

Woman from Mali

Woman from Senegal

Woman from Ghana

Woman from Nigeria

Woman from Cameroon

Quote:
Why can't you accept the fact that black people are willing to accept "mixed" as black?
I am merely pointing out that mixed people are not black. If you notice, many dark and brown black women in the U.S. resemble the women in the pictures. The reason being is, dark and brown black Americans share a very similar genotype with West Africans.

Quote:
So you think you're "outing" her? I got news for you: We don't care. As far as we are concerned, she is black. If you have a problem with that, it's your problem, not ours.
Melissa Perry is a biracial woman, who prefers to identify as a "black woman."

Quote:
And your attitude sounds to most black people like your own attempt to dictate what "black women" should look like, rather than leaving it to them.
I am black, therefore, shouldn't I have a say on this topic? I'd prefer to see real images of black women throughout the media, sharing their unique experiences and speaking on behalf of themselves. Don't you find it odd that biracial, mixed race and everything else under the sun, has been selected in media, print magazines, and in movies, to represent black women, while the real black women are not allowed nor selected to represent themselves?

This is why the Rachel's and Melissa's of this world are able to fool people into believing they are black American women. When in reality, they are not!

Last edited by LovelyDay2016; 06-13-2015 at 05:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events